• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at TaurusOwners@gmail.com and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

!!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.
Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

3917 posts in this topic

Just now, Angrod said:

Actually it does. It just takes more steps to get everything working. I have to have the images in a shared album, select the one I want, right click and select "copy image address," then go over to goo.gl and shorten the URL, the come back over here and use the "insert other media" link and select the "from URL" option. Takes quite a bit of time but it does work.

Imgur you can just copy the image address and paste it here and be done....

Just now, ShelbyRacer78 said:

Imgur you can just copy the image address and paste it here and be done....

True, but I don't want the possibility of imgur doing the same shit as photobucket. I doubt Google would do that as Photos is part of their social media dept.

Far point 

Finally got the '97 home from the shop, and that'll be the first and last time I use this particular shop. I think I'll stick to going to my preferred places that I've used before.

Long story short, it was thought the old compressor didn't blow its internals into the line so just the compressor was replaced. Spoiler: The old compressor blew its internals into the lines and clogged the works. Only took a total of three extra go-arounds to figure that out when it's 30 PSI on the low side and 350 PSI on the high side. My complaint every time was the system is short cycling but holding pressure. It was bouncing off the high pressure switch most of the time if the system was on.

I also have to go back to the shop tomorrow to get my fucking battery hold down. I heard rattling on my way home from the passenger front. Pop the hood in the driveway and battery is just chilling there. Shop still has it and they forgot to install it back. Also got to get the A/C hi/lo port caps they forgot to install back. :angry:

I went to this shop because I heard they had a pretty good reputation in the area. I don't like it when jobs are half-assed, though. Beyond my battery hold down missing, I also found the fan shroud wasn't installed back properly. I had to re-align it and actually tighten a bolt that was left halfway out. Then I had to wipe off all the PAG oil from the header panel filler piece and spray the accumulated oil from the bottom of the belly pan. Then I washed the car because of all of the grimy hand prints on the hood and fender.   

/rant

At least the car is cleaned, vacuumed, and the A/C blows ice cold again, and reliably at that. It has a new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, lines, and condenser. The evaporative core was flushed clean. Hopefully the replacement equipment will do another 20 years or 185K before failing.

I also swung by to look at the '87 some more while the intake is off. There's a suspect heater hose that needs to be replaced before things go back together. It looks like it has been oozing. I gave it a poke and it just started spurting antifreeze everywhere. I'm glad I pulled stuff apart when I did, otherwise I bet I'd have a hose letting go while on the road.

2 people like this

After two years, my '99 Honda Interceptor is back together and running great. I bought the bike around 2007 with 4000 miles. 10 years later, the bike has only 8800 miles. So it gets lots of storage time.

Last time I rode it, I noticed the coolant temp was hanging around 150°F. Very low. Stuck open thermostat is not an uncommon problem on these. Thermostat is located in the valley of the 800cc V4, underneath the fuel injection and throttle bodies. It's a PITA to replace. And only the Honda part fits. 

Replacing the t-stat turned out to be the least of the problems. Mice had chewed the insulation off the wiring to the knock sensor. Never got warning light or any indication of a problem, so no idea how long it had been damaged. I was frustrated and stepped away until I could motivate myself to repair the wiring.

During this 2 years, I've changed employers 3 times, my wife was in hospital for 5 months, and we welcomed our first born. Needless to say, the "momo" was the lowest priority. 

I found that the damaged wiring was actually a small sub-harness. Located a couple on eBay for between $20-40. I'm cheap and resourceful, so I bought one from 2006 model for $15 that required some minor modification and splicing (had to remove the wiring for VTEC from the harness, which my model, thankfully, does not have). 

34942697343_5e8147caa3_b.jpg34911178654_b9c2bdeba9_b.jpg35583159302_c51c999062_b.jpg

Looks like it came from the factory. 

While I had it apart, I replace the regulator/rectifier for an upgraded unit and installed an K&N air filter. My lights no longer flicker at idle. The K&N does weaken low end torque a little, but improves top end. And amazingly, I remembered where all the pieces went and had zero problems afterwards. Just in time for the hot Texas summer.

1 person likes this

F150 goes in for Line-x next week so I figured I would get around to try and removing the broken bolt from one of the tie down hooks. I started out easy by soaking it for 2 days with liquid wrench and then cranked on it with a vice grips, well it started to go and then sure enough it snapped off flush with the bed...So I get the drill and a bunch of bits and start to drill that sucker out, round up a tap and die set and try to cut new threads but the "Built Ford Tough" steel was so strong it just wrecked the cheap thread tap. So now I have a slightly larger than stock bolt hole with no threads in my bed. Its never easy.

I might just see if I can find a self tapping bolt or something along those lines.

In other news, i've gotten pretty use to the handling of the truck, its no sports car but you can toss it around pretty good on dry pavement without any issues. So today when I'm out running some errands and its raining pretty good, I go to make a left turn though a busy intersection at a reasonable pace but not near tire squealing on dry pavement. I'm just focusing on making a nice turn and suddenly I'm in the "oh shit why is the truck at a 45 degree angle". I caught it and corrected reasonably well but holy cow it was insane with how little effort the back end of the truck just floated away. No traction control lights flashing or advance trac yelling at me either, just sliding sideways though an intersection. Maybe the tires aren't the best in heavy rain but I know they have tons of tread left. That was kinda a wake up call for me that the handling dynamics of the truck change dramatically when its unloaded and there is a good amount of water on the road...you cannot put even moderate power down and expect it to stay planted.

2 people like this

My '01 Dakota with the 4.7L V8 and 5spd manual is almost dangerous to drive in wet weather unladen even with excellent tires. Rev happy tourqey V8, low gearing, limited slip. Makes for a fun ride.  

16 hours ago, Spridget said:

My '01 Dakota with the 4.7L V8 and 5spd manual is almost dangerous to drive in wet weather unladen even with excellent tires. Rev happy tourqey V8, low gearing, limited slip. Makes for a fun ride.  

At least you have the limited slip going for you there, in normal driving the F150 is stuck in 1 wheeler peeler mode. The e-locker works great but you can't use it unless you are doing a burn out or off road, any sort of turn and the rear tires are binding.
Its really the best of both words though, I don't have to worry about any sort of springs wearing out or special fluids like a limited slip, and when I need traction to both wheels I know that both wheels are 100% locked together with the flip of a switch.

The Mustang GT went into the shop for repairs yesterday... :P 

IMG_3236.thumb.JPG.4b48e9d0cd93e82c67d5d8e429a83197.JPG

My power steering system decided to basically shit the bed, and the pump, a couple of hoses and the rack and pinion assembly have now been replaced with new parts due to numerous fluid leaks. The whole system is operating fantastic now, although it would have been nice not to have to throw that much money into it right now. Oh well, this car is a lot of fun to drive and I don't want to end up stuck on the side of the highway with a dead vehicle. 

Here is a comprehensive view of the undercarriage for those of you who haven't been under a Fox body before... 

IMG_3230.thumb.JPG.ab6157237db2e16a2fde691cecd4d3b9.JPG

IMG_3231.thumb.JPG.82c91d984e1fc5d307934b1ed42549a0.JPG

IMG_3232.thumb.JPG.4d739c2b2460063ac1d3aa78f256fa07.JPG

I've been trying for years to get my wife to agree to let me buy a little blue Fairmont wagon parked under a carport down the road from us. I've passed by it nearly every day for over a decade. I believe a home bound elderly person lives in the house but I've never stopped to inquire. I'd love to take that Fox body platform and make a V8 sleeper / cruiser. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Spridget said:

I've been trying for years to get my wife to agree to let me buy a little blue Fairmont wagon parked under a carport down the road from us. I've passed by it nearly every day for over a decade. I believe a home bound elderly person lives in the house but I've never stopped to inquire. I'd love to take that Fox body platform and make a V8 sleeper / cruiser. 

wdc_07_DSC_8093.jpg 

Not so much a "sleeper", but yes that would definitely be a fun wagon. :P 

Got all the work done on the F150 related to the bed/cargo area.

Getting finished up in the shop this afternoon. The massive paint booth that would fit a dump truck in the background. When I stopped by the first time they were spaying Line-x on Fire truck bodies for Pierce...So they really do spray that stuff on just about anything.

IMG_0649_zpsy8kl7r6u.jpg

Someone in a V8 SHO trying to keep up on the way home.

IMG_0650_zps6sdbyubz.jpg

Finished product is amazing. I'm glad I spent the money to get Line-X, I recommend it to anyone looking for a bed liner option.

IMG_0652_zps73htabj4.jpg

Also installed the Lund Genesis Elite roll up tonneau cover this evening. That pretty much wraps up any functional modifications or improvements I was planning.

IMG_0655_zpsleycibqb.jpg

3 people like this

For the first time in almost a year, the Mustang has a usable rear seat installed! :P 

IMG_3253_zps50zmoqbn.jpg 

IMG_3252_zpspfoezhuc.jpg

2 people like this

Just installed monster cables for new wiring on my Taurus sound system and I'm going to do the 3 upgrade anybody got some advice on doing that a3f89ad406f9d29db16499c7267d9250.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Changed the rear differential and transfer case/PTO unit fluid on the CX5. Wasn't the worst job, getting to the drain and fill plugs on the rear differential was a little tight but not horrible. Figured I would change the fluid out now before my sister takes the car over, that way its good to go for another 60,000+ miles. Filled with Mobil 1 75W-90 full synthetic.

On 7/15/2017 at 10:46 AM, Jaybrooks said:

Just installed monster cables for new wiring on my Taurus sound system and I'm going to do the 3 upgrade anybody got some advice on doing that a3f89ad406f9d29db16499c7267d9250.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the fat alternator wire from another car at the salvage yard. It's already got the terminals and it's the perfect length. Remove the nut on the alternator terminal and attach the new wire. Route it beside the existing wire. And connect it to the power distribution box next to the battery. I don't think it's necessary to replace the positive wire from the battery to the power distribution box. The alternator feeds all power to the system when the vehicle is running. Improve your ground from the battery to the fender and add another ground from chassis to engine block. Try to keep them under 18". 

The positive terminal on the power distribution box is also a good place to connect your positive lead for a heavy duty headlight harness. 

Almost all of the lamps are working in the Impala again.  Very rare to see one with this many lamps still functioning.  Climate control module went dark several years ago, but still functioned.  Lately recirculate mode was intermittent and so tracked it back to an issue with the control module.  Instead of going junkyard part, I  opted to buy a reman unit so that I could get the illumination back.  This nugget was a pretty penny, but really looks sharp all lit up.  Now, if I can only find some good stereo buttons to replace my dyed ones.  One day I'll have the lamps replaced in the radio too, but for now I'll just have to deal with the one that's out.  I'll likely upgrade it to a factory radio that has retrofitted Bluetooth w/handsfree calling and aux port...seller on eBay has these available relatively cheapish and retains the stock look and access to the vehicle settings.  A few weeks ago I treated it to new lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, and an alignment.  This car is still doing great...I've put about 5k miles on it since repairing the engine and just really enjoy driving it.  I'm 99% sure it's faster than my Fusion too and way more comfortable with that cloth bench seat!

Jeff

IMG_20170721_220731990.jpg

3 people like this