• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean [email protected] and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

!!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.
Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

3941 posts in this topic

I think my saga with Safelite is almost over. All told:

tech was an hour late

he cut my dash cam cable despite being shown exactly where and what it was

he left grease marks on the carpet

he screwed up the header and left a hole in it

he forgot to reconnect the passenger side wiper arm

Got the cam reconnected today. The Safelite manager said to call him and he'd give the shop his credit card. Turns out the shop has to submit the bill in writing and have Safelite reimburse him. This is supposed to happen next week. We'll see. 

This is the hole Safelite left in the header. 

Any suggestions as to how I can cover up or repair this ? 

2017-04-20_19-23-47.jpg

Why on earth would they cut that hole? It looks like they left the whole headliner look ragged.

3 hours ago, REDTRUCKCHASER said:

2017-04-20_19-23-47.jpg

Proper way? Remove all the headliner fabric, fill in the cut with something, perhaps cardboard and glue it in. Then apply new headliner fabric to have one beautiful continuous piece. I say they owe you a new headliner...

Stopping might actually be a thing now...9f7229fc5d8bd7cc6060bc63fc8d2497.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, REDTRUCKCHASER said:

2017-04-20_19-23-47.jpg

I feel like My Taurus had that same cut out in the headliner. I bet when they pulled down on the head liner it is no longer tight and its hanging down showing that mark now.  

Is it dead center?

Serviced the transmission on the '97. Found that I likely may have been running around with the factory filter intact. I found the little plug at the bottom of the pan.

ADyWAr.jpg

According to my repair history, there was a transmission flush performed at around 60K, and I had one done around 120K. It's just somewhat over 180K, so I figured it was about time to change the fluid instead of just flushing it.

That gray ick on top of the filter was definitely present inside of it and also made up for a film on the magnet, however it was not present anywhere else and the fluid was a healthy red color. On top of that, there was no large or significantly sized debris on the magnet, and the transmission is shifting fine at this moment in time.

The transmission got a new Motorcraft filter and Motorcraft Mercon V for the fill. I also swapped the factory pan for a Dorman one with a drain plug. I had to move the magnet from the factory pan to the new one since there wasn't one included. As overkill as it might be, I'll probably put the transmission on 7,500 mile fluid changes (just pan drain and fills). As far as filter changes go, I may do it every 30,000 or 60,000 miles.

3 people like this

The Land Yacht needs a new starter. Apparently putting a Corvette starter in makes it sound more badass and awesome. Might do that ;)

3 people like this

24 minutes ago, TaurusKev said:

The Land Yacht needs a new starter. Apparently putting a Corvette starter in makes it sound more badass and awesome. Might do that ;)

Has the right engine for it.

It still isn't sporting that "custom" grille from the meet is it? :P

2 people like this

27 minutes ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Has the right engine for it.

It still isn't sporting that "custom" grille from the meet is it? :P

He put a legit Buick grille on it. 

Well I was 100% correct about the Explorer.  The transmission seal was indeed leaking where i thought it was. So for that time i got an Explorer rental and then i got this 17 Escape Rental. Not a bad car but I was driving it cause my wife hated it. 

17992147_10208259060382027_6504073649374 

17991977_10208259051221798_5574949420480

While the Explorer was out I made a deal with a guy on craigslist. I was able to get the OEM Explorer branded Cargo Mat for 45 dollars on Craigslist. After a good hosing it looked brand new.

18157062_10208259152064319_8214675626660

Next on Saturday I started on cleaning the front floor mats. During the deal I asked them to clean the mats because the script was dirty looking. Well they did one and just gave up.

So I decided that now i will clean the fronts my self. The backs were fine so i didn't care to do them. I would say I did about 20 passes some with the hand tool scrubber and others with the big carpet cleaning part. I'm very happy with how they turned out.

Before

17990749_10208259216345926_6286901778928

Dirty Ass Water:

18118923_10208259216385927_8341217556933

After:

18119157_10208259214385877_4675473575246 18119576_10208259215665909_9184271648426

I also drilled out the front plate bracket, I'm still need to buff (scratch x kinda helped)  and get bumper plugs. Still it looks so much better without an empty front plate bracket on it.

18119112_10208259214945891_4734459012297

Also on this same day I received my HID kit from Diode Dynamics.  6000K 9005 Bulbs with Smart Ballasts and Heavy duty water proof relay. Holy shit is the relay intense.

After cutting the dust caps and running the wiring they were in within maybe an hour and a half. I had quite the fun time hiding the wiring. There is a lot less room in that engine bay than the Kia.

18119475_10208259216745936_6879078879085  18156890_10208259214905890_4194480510460

Look at the braiding on the relay holy hell.

First test light up on the drivers side

17990719_10208259214425878_1317819810504

Test on both sides

Image may contain: car

And DONE

17991911_10208259216225923_6000547240252

----------

Here are the Night shots!

18010093_10208259286147671_3481457112860

18157489_10208259214065869_3731702202254

18157520_10208259214345876_8751635680922

18057975_10208259214025868_1964238272219

I'm super pleased with the output but i think i'm going to be adjusting these for the next year until i get the height correct.

I do believe i need to send the company an email though. All in all they look great but it looks like the passenger side bulb could be bad. It doesn't light at the same time or the one time my wife thought it wasn't on  when she got out of the car.  The entire HID kit comes with a 3 year warranty and since i just received them I would hope they will just send me replacements without too much hassle.

Car is looking great and up next I will be getting all weather OEM branded floor mats. Found them on craigslist for 30 dollars originally 100. I'm excited to get those too.

The wagon got its passenger side front door vent window swapped in with new window felt. The old window channel felt was so tough and brittle that once I got it all out, I had reduced it into hundreds of small pieces and chunks. I also installed a vent window dew wipe trim piece since it had a healthier dew wipe compared to what I pulled off. The old one was badly cracked and had scratched the original glass very deeply.

AwMr6t7.jpg

I need to clean the glass, since it has been collecting dust and grime for some time. I know Nick had grabbed the glass and vent window some time ago since I remember the driver's side having been converted in 2014.

Soooooo... What an eventful day. I got my garage knocked down, the starter completely quit, and all sorts of electrical gremlins in the Roadmaster. I think I might just take apart all the main wiring and test it 1 by 1.

The Corvette LT1 starter, which makes a cool sound, was special order, I couldn't wait for special order, so I just got the regular boring LT1 Starter for Caprice, Roadmaster, Fleetwood, and maybe Firebird/Camaro. It was cheaper with my brother's discount at O'Reillys with Lifetime warranty. Now, with my garage being gone, my jackstands, good jack, etc was all in storage... So I just used my shitty jack that I left to move the Vulcan around, lifted the RMW, and used leftover bricks to support it. Super easy to change out, I think I had that starter out and in within 10 minutes. I wish I could do an oil change that fast on my T-Bird... So I did also get the new ICM. And well, I fixed one issue, folks might remember Sean decided to WOT the wagon, and well, at high RPM, it coughed, threw a Service Engine Soon light, and acted weird. I noticed it was always high RPM. So, I changed my ICM out, and well, now I can WOT that thing all day long, but now I have 7 codes coming up... Soooooooo, that is going to be fun to fix lol. All other bugs are worked out too with the interior.

And, with spring being here, no more salt on the ground, I now have the 95 T-Bird insured, and ready for the road. I find it funny, out of all the cars I own, the 95 T-Bird is the most reliable car I own. No check engines, no weird faults, just get in and go. Sure my PS Pump needs replacing, and has that wonderful 4.6L Valve stem failure. But, it still drives. I need to finish up on some things, I want to take that on a road trip, I've never taken a road trip in my T-Bird. Just such a delight to drive though. That'll be my new daily for now until the new garage is done, and I can put her under the knife to fix the remaining crap (Valve stem seals are good excuse for PI Heads)

10 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

Soooooo... What an eventful day. I got my garage knocked down, the starter completely quit, and all sorts of electrical gremlins in the Roadmaster. I think I might just take apart all the main wiring and test it 1 by 1.

The Corvette LT1 starter, which makes a cool sound, was special order, I couldn't wait for special order, so I just got the regular boring LT1 Starter for Caprice, Roadmaster, Fleetwood, and maybe Firebird/Camaro. It was cheaper with my brother's discount at O'Reillys with Lifetime warranty. Now, with my garage being gone, my jackstands, good jack, etc was all in storage... So I just used my shitty jack that I left to move the Vulcan around, lifted the RMW, and used leftover bricks to support it. Super easy to change out, I think I had that starter out and in within 10 minutes. I wish I could do an oil change that fast on my T-Bird... So I did also get the new ICM. And well, I fixed one issue, folks might remember Sean decided to WOT the wagon, and well, at high RPM, it coughed, threw a Service Engine Soon light, and acted weird. I noticed it was always high RPM. So, I changed my ICM out, and well, now I can WOT that thing all day long, but now I have 7 codes coming up... Soooooooo, that is going to be fun to fix lol. All other bugs are worked out too with the interior.

And, with spring being here, no more salt on the ground, I now have the 95 T-Bird insured, and ready for the road. I find it funny, out of all the cars I own, the 95 T-Bird is the most reliable car I own. No check engines, no weird faults, just get in and go. Sure my PS Pump needs replacing, and has that wonderful 4.6L Valve stem failure. But, it still drives. I need to finish up on some things, I want to take that on a road trip, I've never taken a road trip in my T-Bird. Just such a delight to drive though. That'll be my new daily for now until the new garage is done, and I can put her under the knife to fix the remaining crap (Valve stem seals are good excuse for PI Heads)

DAMNIT SEAN!  All those SES lights are still his fault.

Why did you tear the garage down?

1 person likes this

You can always return the starter and get Corvette one later :-)

10 hours ago, Gentz said:

DAMNIT SEAN!  All those SES lights are still his fault.

Why did you tear the garage down?

The old garage was sinking from poor construction, and was crap, and was becoming wasp city from all the poor construction. And it was small, so going from a 20x22 to a 24x24 (largest I can get in my municipality (Can't have a garage bigger than my home :( )

8 hours ago, Bull Geek said:

This is always true!! I did also start buying hoses for it that it needs for oil/trans lines :)

21 hours ago, Bull Geek said:

That's fraud :-)

2 people like this

I broke my lug wrench trying to get the right front tire off. It seems someone was way too happy with the airgun last time.

Replaced the transmission pan with a drain-able one on my Ford Explorer.

Transmission_drain_bolt.png

I've got police rate KYB Gas-A-Just shock absorbers ready to go into the wagon. I don't expect it to handle like a modern car, but I need some somewhat competent underpinnings. Hopefully I can get them in tomorrow. Hopefully the upper bolts on the rears aren't stuck, because those are really the only ones that suck to get at.

Posted (edited)

Today I finished up fixing the random switches on my Town Car's door panels that didn't light up.  On my passenger door panel the power door lock switch didn't light up and on both doors the heated seat switch did not light up.  I bought new switches for a nice price on Tasca's website and finished that.  In doing so I found out why my driver's door panel makes so much noise when shutting the door - All the tabs are broken at the base of the door panel right by the side that is nearest to the passenger door.  What stinks is that the mounting point is broken off of the door panel so I think to fix this I'd need a whole new door panel.  New switches are worth it but a whole new door panel isn't and I can learn to live with the slight noise when you shut the door.

Additionally I had a Kenwood stereo put in the Town Car.  I was originally going to go with a touch screen but decided against due to cost and thinking a touch screen just looks out of place on a car like this.  This unit has several color options and I can match the stock green lighting exactly.  I usually keep it on a blue with the bottom lights going through a light show of all the different colors it can do.  I love having Sirius and bluetooth in the car now.  It's still not the same look as stock but I am happy to have the additional functionality.  

Also was able to get some pics of my two cars together.  The Edge doesn't get driven much now that it isn't bad with weather here.  Town Car has a slight AC refrigerant leak that appears when it is hot out, otherwise the Town Car is good to go for a while.  The AC has been a long-standing issue - Nick and I seem to agree it's just either a hose or coupling that has a slight leak that is made worse by the heat.  When it is hot out the AC blows a little cold, but give it a little gas and it belches out frigid air.  Today it was nearly 90 according to my weather station (Pittsburgh weather, folks!  Tuesday we barely will reach 60) and it's the first day it felt warm in the car.  

The Edge is a fun car to drive, I love the utility of a crossover and sheer power of that 2.7.  But the Town Car is still my favorite.  

Together1.jpg

8522771398415414335-account_id=1.jpg

2017-04-05.png

Passenger Door PAnel.jpg

driver door panel pic.jpg

Edited by daveromanjr
I blame Anthony. and nick.
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Got some old junky 'GAS MATIC' shocks out from the wagon today; fairly sure these old ones were Monroe shocks. Only got the front done today, Wednesday I'll get the rears. Swapping in new KYB Gas-A-Just police rate shocks. I like the firmness they give with the civilian springs. Would have likely gotten to the rears, but a stuck bolt on the passenger side slowed us down. The threaded shaft was rusted up, and regardless of how we tried gripping the shaft with a vice grip, it kept spinning. We wound up busting off the top of the stud and drilling the bolt out. Driver's side came out without an issue.

FWIW, the passenger side could slowly rebound to 3/4 of its rebound travel when compressed by hand. The driver side was completely dead and wouldn't do anything. I expect the rear to be similar once we yank those. The ride quality up front improved considerably. Going over speed humps in a neighborhood, the usual up/down teeter-tottering was eliminated from the front, however the back was detracting from that by bouncing. That won't be a problem soon... :ph34r:

My friend was lamenting the disappearance of "boat car ride". It's all fun for the passengers riding in something that feels like a water bed, but no fun for the driver trying to keep the car in a lane while the damned thing wants to pitch and yaw uncomfortably. A few weeks ago I was traveling home after dropping off a friend at the end of a trip and I was on 55 MPH back roads that were rather rough with plenty of lumps in the road. I had to drop speed to 40 MPH for some corners since the constant rocking of the car made it tough to manage comfortably without the suspension wanting to make it wander over the road. The '97 was similar until it got new shocks, and it rides very confidently. 

/rant

Edited by Kodachrome Wolf
Spelling
2 people like this

11 hours ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Got some old junky 'GAS MATIC' shocks out from the wagon today; fairly sure these old ones were Monroe shocks. Only got the front done today, Wednesday I'll get the rears. Swapping in new KYB Gas-A-Just police rate shocks. I like the firmness they give with the civilian springs. Would have likely gotten to the rears, but a stuck bolt on the passenger side slowed us down. The threaded shaft was rusted up, and regardless of how we tried gripping the shaft with a vice grip, it kept spinning. We wound up busting off the top of the stud and drilling the bolt out. Driver's side came out without an issue.

FWIW, the passenger side could slowly rebound to 3/4 of its rebound travel when compressed by hand. The driver side was completely dead and wouldn't do anything. I expect the rear to be similar once we yank those. The ride quality up front improved considerably. Going over speed humps in a neighborhood, the usual up/down teeter-tottering was eliminated from the front, however the back was detracting from that by bouncing. That won't be a problem soon... :ph34r:

My friend was lamenting the disappearance of "boat car ride". It's all fun for the passengers riding in something that feels like a water bed, but no fun for the driver trying to keep the car in a lane while the damned thing wants to pitch and yaw uncomfortably. A few weeks ago I was traveling home after dropping off a friend at the end of a trip and I was on 55 MPH back roads that were rather rough with plenty of lumps in the road. I had to drop speed to 40 MPH for some corners since the constant rocking of the car made it tough to manage comfortably without the suspension wanting to make it wander over the road. The '97 was similar until it got new shocks, and it rides very confidently. 

/rant

So you want to drive something the size of a Nimitz-class carrier, but not if it also rides or corners like one. :P 

1 person likes this

So you want to drive something the size of a Nimitz-class carrier, but not if it also rides or corners like one. default_tongue.png 

Seems legit

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Brian_05_SEL said:

So you want to drive something the size of a Nimitz-class carrier, but not if it also rides or corners like one. :P 

I like approaching a corner and not having the car turn into a bowl of jello. I like some stability in my suspension.

In the same thread, you completely revamped the suspension under your Fox so that it wouldn't ride like a Fox from that era. 

3 people like this