Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

My 2.5 Fusion is just as quick as my Duratec Taurus...if you can call a Taurus quick...lol

Also I would of been glad to pickup the 2.0 ecoboost...I should of told you guys earlier so you guys can pick up the difference on my car payment and insurance lol

Don't Nightshade any taillights this time. That 'mod' just makes a car look like some retarded Fast & Furious groupie drives it. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Yeah I agree Brian. Heading down to Naperville today to get my windows tinted at Z-Tech.

No. A 2.5L has no cajones. And a Duratec would eat it for lunch. I've ridden and driven them.

My dad's 2010 Fusion has the 2.5L. 75,000 miles on it and absolutely no problems, and it is certainly adequate for the application.  If you want to get moving fast it is like any other 4 cylinder, buzzy and slightly less power than some would want, but its a good motor. Returns mid to high 30s for fuel economy as well, which is far better than any Vulcan or Duratec Taurus can do.

I would take the 2.5L over the 1.6L EB. I am not a fan of timing belts.

My Fusion is just as quick as my Duratec and shifts 1000x smoother lol

Im happy. Ive already had more people compliment my stock Fusion than I did with my slightly modified Taurus lol. All I got with the Taurus was you have any transmission or elecrrical problems? Mine did lolol

:read:

Fusion owners' forum is ---> 

• Like 1

I would take the 2.5L over the 1.6L EB. I am not a fan of timing belts.

The 1.6 EB has a timing belt? I thought Ford used chains in all their engines...What about the 2.0 EB?

The 1.6 EB has a timing belt? I thought Ford used chains in all their engines...What about the 2.0 EB?

The 1.6L NA and EB are timing belt, and the 1.0L EB uses an oil bathed timing belt. The 2.0 uses a timing chain, as well as every other current Ford engine to my knowledge.

Don't ask me why they used a timing belt because I don't know. I would imagine it has to do with efficiency (with the oil bathed belt) and maybe a simpler design than a timing chain. The 1.0L EB is a very advanced design, extreme efforts were put into low friction operation. The timing belt on the 1.0L EB is rated for 150,000 miles according to Ford...we shall see. 

As odd as the 1.0L is, it is a sign of what Ford will be doing in the future. Low inertia free spooling turbos, integrated water cooled exhaust manifolds, and on demand oil pumps.

I believe the 2.7L EB V6 also uses integrated water cooled exhaust manifolds.

The 1.0EB is honestly a tour de force as far as manufacturing and engineering goes. That's why I love Ford; they're an engineering company that makes cars, not a financial company that makes cars (GM).

Edited by The White Falcon

Finally wrapped up on the suspension work.

Things replaced:
Upper/Lower ball joints
Front sway bar links (using older Box style ones)
Front/Rear KYB Gas-A-Just Police rate Shocks
Rear Springs (Now using Moog 8649 ones)

Now there was a funny bit that was hit when the springs were changed out the first time. I ordered variable rate wagon cargo coils (Moog CC819s) thinking it would stiffen up the ride and be useful for heavy loads.

Instead the car became half racecar/donk conversion. Laughs were had because of how amusing it looked.
D3U0RA9.jpg
^^^
For the record, before those got swapped out, the rear bumper stood 16.5 inches from the ground. Talk about clearance.

So today my replacements for the replacements came in. These are constant rate sedan coils (Moog 8649s) that were originally spec'd on 1979 Mercury Marquis Brougham. Strong enough to be supportive with load, but soft enough to carry the car smoothly.
ifznIXQ.jpg

The wagon coils will be going to Bull Geek for one of his wagons. They should work properly there! :D I'll also be returning the front springs I ordered since the sag on the front passenger side has gone away and the car rides very well as it sits now.

Need to replace all of that on my sisters 1997. Once its mine I'll slowly fix it up to its former glory. Needs a lot of interior love too. The body is rusty (but not awful), and it has a huge oil leak I haven't gotten around to fixing yet. Luckily its not an awful fix.

Someone stole my floor jack though so I have to buy a new one and thats annoying.

I can't remember if I posted about this last week but I got they 1997 to run again. Pulled the ignition switch and steering column. I then drilled out the rod where it connects to the key cylinder and jammed it into the run position. So you start the car with the ignition switch and then the steering wheel and shifter are always unlocked. Easy to steal because you literally just have to start the car with the switch but its a piece of crap so no one wants it.

So yesterday I had my window tint installed at Z-Tech Window Tint in Naperville...laser scanned and cut so no annoying lines it's all uniform.

Next it to pay my first car note then buy some wires to get my subwoofers and amplifier hooked up and get my Cold Air Intake system ordered.

Also, saving up money between payments for a magnaflow catback exhaust

Edited by blackout

Drove a good bit today. A friend and I went to Atlanta to go to a Micro Center for some computer hardware, but we couldn't catch a lucky break.

-Leaving Augusta, we found traffic.

-Halfway there, the rear tire found a nail.

-Enter Atlanta, traffic.

-Driving in Atlanta was fine.

-Leaving, more traffic.

-Return trip home, we needed gas, but a good number of stations were closed. We managed to make it to Thompson to refuel with 3 gallons left.

Regarding the tire, as we were going along, the rear end got a little vibration and then I heard something like a helicopter, and after noting there wasn't one, I stopped the car. I went to check the rear and heard air hissing out. The sidewall was lumpy before it went completely flat, so I think there are damaged cords. So much for that tire.

You can see two lumps near the top:

ddt2SdF.jpg

That's some nail:

NInAkH4.jpg

Full Size Spare:

Et7slz6.jpg

I will say I'm glad I carry a full size spare and floor jack. It made this task a breeze.

For now, I put one of the alloys with reasonable tread as another full size spare, just in case. This little incident has prompted me to accelerate readying the 17" Cobra wheels, since if I'm getting a set of tires soon, it will be for those.

At least all of the nonsense didn't stop me from enjoying the trip. Atlanta looks really nice in the evening. Shame I couldn't get more pictures.
rJcQRge.jpg

Replaced the #4 coil and hood lift supports in the C230. Coil fixed the misfire. All the replacement parts from RockAuto were OEM with the Mercedes emblem sanded off. Still need to replace the coolant reservoir but that's a job for another day.

Supercoupe made it to my friends house today where it will be stored for a while since my family doesn't know I bought yet another car.

0502151806_zpsfzzz0rzh.jpg

0502151806a_zpss3fjtm8n.jpg

0502151504a_zpsqzmncejq.jpg

And since the trunk latch was broken and I couldn't get the trunk open before this was a surprise. Don't have a clue how it is controlled..

0502151714_zpsybvosubz.jpg

Found a few surprises today. Mouse nest in the trunk. Driver rear wheel bearing is pretty much only being held together by the axle going through it. Driver floor has damage that has pushed the carpet up. While investigating the lump I found a dead mouse under the carpet. Tried starting it off just my jump pack with no battery with no luck. Car was inspected in 07 at 139909 miles. Last oil change at 139915 in 07. Current mileage is stated at 139915. Block sealer purchased in Dec 07. So car probably needs headgaskets. Oh well, it was pretty much expected. I'm excited to dig into this project.

And another surprise was when the bumper fell off when I was strapping the car to the dolly. Glad it happened then and not while driving!

• Like 1

Extended warranty on the '12 Jetta wagon expired at 120k miles and since the dealer won't be touching the car again, I did my first "mod." K&N panel filter. Freakin' Walmart carries them now.

• Like 1

Oh wow that Thunderbird is in the rough! But with how rare they are, it's worth fixing up for that year. They drive beautifully and just puts a great big smile each time I drive either one of mine. I honestly didn't want a second T-Bird, but I wanted a fun stick shift vehicle... Needless to say, I was in love upon the test drive. :wub:

Anything I can help with on it let me know. I have a Factory Ford CD somewhere for the 94 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury lineup.

I'm going over Tuesday to work on it some more. Going to bring a battery with and see if I can get it to fire. It looks like it might have a flow master muffler sitting right under the driveshaft too. Any info I can get is great info. I'm going to be doing a lot of work to this car. Interior is the first to come apart.

Tuned the horns and took the rim with the bad tire out to the backyard and did some work to it. When I originally painted those steelies, I took a decent amount of time for sanding and priming, and it shows. Despite areas where the paint got scraped off by the hubcaps, while I was sanding, only that new coat of black paint really came off. The red was still holding on strong and I would have been sanding all day to get to the bottom layer of primer and metal.

So far I've hit that rim with two coats of automotive primer on the prepared surface and will probably attempt a single coat of paint tonight, just to see how things turn out.

Illinois State legal window tint. 35%.

11204986_727535600691968_725509987374469

• Like 1

Super Coupe got its first real day of work today. Interior is pretty much gutted except dash, headliner and one rear quarter trim. Found two dead mice inside the car, another fell out of the bottom of the car. Car had some kind of aftermarket keyless entry and the power locks don't work now. The box is under the dash but the wiring is missing.I'm finding minor surface rust around the car in a few places but nothing major at all, definitely not an MN car. I pulled both front fenders and set the new ones in place. Fixed one side of the bumper, the other bracket is missing so I can't fix that yet. Brake line in front of the driver rear tire popped today randomly. I never touched the brake pedal but I saw a puddle develop after I had had the car running. Dead decomposed mouse in the puddle too. Not sure how that all happened but now I get to learn how to do brake lines. Something I have not done before. As mentioned I got the car to start today. Threw the battery in out of my sisters explorer and the car basically fired right up. It misfires all the time, not just when warm as I was told. It doesn't seem to be a dead cylinder, more of a random misfire. The ignition components look absolutely ancient. I might just give it a tune up and see where I am at before I condemn the headgaskets. No smoke from exhaust at all. Not even on first start up. Nothing. Throw out bearing makes noise, one of the tensioners (I think) makes noise ( there are 3 of those..) Boost gauge doesnt work. Slowly but surely it will get there.

0505151500a_zpsecsv8nom.jpg

0505151642_zps0svnk8ld.jpg

0505151951_zpswou6fmlt.jpg

0505151938_zpsacunbjru.jpg

0505152048_zpsrcqrfdat.jpg

I should probably make a build log soon haha.

• Like 2

You should! Be a great car to document and have fixed up to drive. I'll be driving my SC today to work :)