Oh, and just an FYI,

The truck is a 1996 Ranger. Basically the only option it has is cruise control.

Manual windows. Manual locks. Manual transmission.

I picked up a mint set of seat skins from the junkyard, they are blue with stripes and very soft. We didn't have a chance to put them in before winter. Also got a jack (the one we had was not the correct one for a Ranger)

We got a bedliner for free. Plastidipped the grille black, the panel under it white, and put in some clear turn signals with silverstar ultra bulbs. Dad did touch-up and polish on the whole truck and made it look really nice.

Got a cap off Craigslist, with all the windows intact, including the 4 clamps to hold it on, for $100! Cut a key at work from the code on the cap and surprisingly the cap locks and everything functions perfect! It even has a sliding window so you can throw stuff in the bed from the cab.

We built a H-shaped brace that goes in the bed (out of 2x6's) between the wheel wells and holds 6 sand/salt bags to weigh down the rear end. Made it handle a LOT better!!!

I've also decided this is the thread where I'll update about the Ranger :)

They are glorious little trucks, for the right purpose. I drove a '97 for a time that didn't even have cruise control (not that that mattered to me). Did have the cloth-trimmed 60/40 split bench and a tape deck though.

I didn't like the truck because I was driving it in a locale that didn't lend itself well to a low-powered engine with a manual in a 4x2, but I certainly wouldn't mind one now.

It does have an aftermarket HU with CD player, which is nice. I need the cruise for my close to hour commute to work :)

I forgot to say, it does also have the 60/40 bench.

Congrats on the new truck! I like Rangers. They're good little trucks. My cousin in law survived a double rollover in his. I've been eyeing this one for a while, though I don't have the money or need for it haha

http://autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=386934490&zip=55378&endYear=2016&pageLayout=list&sortBy=yearASC&startYear=1981&listingTypes=used&searchRadius=200&mmt=%5BFORD%5BRANGER%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D

I never understood the Vulcan in those trucks, it didn't make that much more power when compared to the 4 cyl. especially in the +98s, and it got worse fuel economy. At least with the 5 speed it should feel like it has more zip. Yours being a pre 98 the 3.0L may have had a marginal difference between the 2.3L, but you wouldn't get me in a Ranger unless it had the 4.0. That truck is a perfect example of how a simple vehicle should be though, nothing will ever break unless you abuse it.

I never understood the Vulcan in those trucks, it didn't make that much more power when compared to the 4 cyl. especially in the +98s, and it got worse fuel economy. At least with the 5 speed it should feel like it has more zip. Yours being a pre 98 the 3.0L may have had a marginal difference between the 2.3L, but you wouldn't get me in a Ranger unless it had the 4.0. That truck is a perfect example of how a simple vehicle should be though, nothing will ever break unless you abuse it.

My son has '05 Ranger 4cyl 5 sp basic with cruise and A/C. Last time we talked he turned 200K and thinks maybe needs new front pads the summer. Original brakes. Normal maint. Got hit in the front tire by another vehicle. Replaced steel wheel. He is happy. Bought new, drives ~60 miles each way to work each day.

-chart-

I've encountered few vehicles more gutless than a 2.3/auto Ranger. The 5-speed helps that engine out appreciably, but I can't imagine that a Vulcan wouldn't be an improvement - an extra 35-45 horsepower and 30 lb-ft is nothing to sneeze at.*  I never got a chance to drive my dad's Vulcan-powered '94 though, the A4LD didn't last long enough.

But if I were to get one it'd have a 4.0. When I buy a truck it won't be for daily driving so gas mileage won't be a concern.

*Figures stated are not to be considered a defense of the Vulcan

I've heard a lot of people tell me that the Vulcan Rangers are even more doggy than the 4 bangers when equipped with the auto trans, in this case the manual transmission does make a big difference. The extra weight of the V6 block and automatic kinda make the extra power useless. 

My grandparents had, or may still have a 1988 Ranger with the 2.3L and 5 speed, ran great the last time we took it for a drive 2 years ago, but you seriously could not go faster than 55mph.  I'm sure part of that is due to its age but the motor literally would not run that fast, and this thing was in great shape, (for an "up north" and old farm truck).  It was and may still be a neat little truck though, in recent years my grandpa would only use it to haul garbage from their house to the dump once a week.  Now that they moved back into the city I would have to imagine they sold it or gave it away to someone and just use the Monterey.

I've encountered few vehicles more gutless than a 2.3/auto Ranger. The 5-speed helps that engine out appreciably, but I can't imagine that a Vulcan wouldn't be an improvement - an extra 35-45 horsepower and 30 lb-ft is nothing to sneeze at.*  I never got a chance to drive my dad's Vulcan-powered '94 though, the A4LD didn't last long enough.

But if I were to get one it'd have a 4.0. When I buy a truck it won't be for daily driving so gas mileage won't be a concern.

*Figures stated are not to be considered a defense of the Vulcan

Nice disclaimer.

Of course... have to stay consistent. ;)

My grandparents had, or may still have a 1988 Ranger with the 2.3L and 5 speed, ran great the last time we took it for a drive 2 years ago, but you seriously could not go faster than 55mph.  I'm sure part of that is due to its age but the motor literally would not run that fast, and this thing was in great shape, (for an "up north" and old farm truck).

The '97 would do 75 on the freeway... unless there was any sort of upward incline. All bets were off at that point.

I'm not saying I have done this... but I am aware that the physical abilities of the Ranger include 80+ mph.

I have a 40-50 minute commute to work... I have left at 2:30 and been in the lot by 3:00... I understand your needs in a vehicle  :icon_mrgreen:  :drive:

• Like 1

I had my car to the speed limiter once.  :ph34r:  The poor Vulcan was struggling but it eventually made it. WOT going uphill on the interstate didn't help. The poor thing was in third doing 5k+ rpm for 10-15 seconds until it made overdrive.

A friend of mine had a Ranger with the Vulcan and an auto. It was sooooo slooooow. It wasn't helping that first gear felt worn out. Another friend had a 5 speed Vulcan Ranger last I checked. Was decent although it wasn't about to set any records. The EGR valve was stuck partially open which caused a crappy idle and made it run quite rich.

I had my car to the speed limiter once.  :ph34r:  The poor Vulcan was struggling but it eventually made it. WOT going uphill on the interstate didn't help. The poor thing was in third doing 5k+ rpm for 10-15 seconds until it made overdrive.

A friend of mine had a Ranger with the Vulcan and an auto. It was sooooo slooooow. It wasn't helping that first gear felt worn out. Another friend had a 5 speed Vulcan Ranger last I checked. Was decent although it wasn't about to set any records. The EGR valve was stuck partially open which caused a crappy idle and made it run quite rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV7vgyaxuQQ

Got one of these. Never been over 90.

-chart-

I have only owned and driven 4cyl 5spd Rangers. Even had a B2300 for a short time. All were excellent little runabouts. Two still in the family... the black '94 from the photo on page 1 of this thread which I dragged out of a pasture, 300k miles and going strong, and Dad's '99 with almost 300k. Both have been poorly maintained outside of my care, but that doesn't seem to phase them much. I wouldn't describe them as quick, but not slow either. Neither have a tach and the 4cyl sounds like it's screaming for mercy when revved out.

The little 2.5L with the 5 speed is fun for screwing off, as I have done this with friends many times in some of his dad's old work Rangers. You can burn rubber easy and tear around but they won't go fast up high.

I had my car to the speed limiter once.  :ph34r:  

I had my Taurus there once too, about a year ago. It got to 107 surprisingly easily, and wanted more before the limiter kicked in. The Duratec in the Taurus could have gone much farther had the other components been able to handle it.

I had my Taurus there once too, about a year ago. It got to 107 surprisingly easily, and wanted more before the limiter kicked in. The Duratec in the Taurus could have gone much farther had the other components been able to handle it.

On two separate past occasions, my '05 passed 110 mph and cruised there for a relatively sustained amount of time. It accelerated up to that speed at a pretty leisurely rate, of course, but having H-rated tires and the electronic speed limiter removed using my XCal3 tuner made it possible. 

:ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...