Sign in to follow this  
lambertini

Tips On 2008 Mercury Sable

I have recently purchaed a 2008 Mercury Sable, with about 39k on it now.

Do you have any recommendations for what maintenance issues i should look out for, beyond the recommended service intervals.

Welcome to the TSOC. From what I have noticed, those cars seem to have been rather problem-free so far. I would just stick with what the service intervals say, and make sure everything is up to date. A good thing to check would be the pollen filter, if your's is equipped with one. Where did you buy it from? Dealer lot, used car lot, private sale?

Bought it at Carmax South Austin, transferred from Dallas. I like it, but it's a bit thirsty at the moment due to having to crank the A/C in this Texas heat.

Yeah, sound's like my Gen 4 LOL. A/C is a PAIN on the gas tank. Well CARMAX is a pretty reputable used car dealer from what I hear, so I'm sure the main maintenance on a car that new has been taken care of. So like I said, pollen filter is the first thing I would check. Those often get overlooked. Otherwise, follow the manufacturer's schedule adn you should be just dandy! :)

The cars are pretty much unserviceable aside from oil changes.

I would, however, look into getting the automatic transmission fluid changed. Even though Ford says lifetime fill, and the newer 6F transmissions are leagues ahead of the older 4 speeds ... it is still not a bad idea