Couple Questions Regarding Cobra Brake Upgrade

Hello Gents,

I am currently proceeding with the cobra PBR dual-piston front brake upgrade and have a couple of questions:

1. the cobra calipers came with ford racing hoses, however their hard line fitting is different than what the Taurus have, so would the Taurus hose bolt onto the cobra calipers instead? or what else so I need to do?

2.the rubber boots attached to the end of the pistons are torn. But The seller claimed that the brakes worked fine as-is when he took them off his car. Should I replace the boots? If so where could I find them?

Thanks for any reply in advance!

Thanks for your reply, length of the lines are certainly going to be something I watch out for, but now I am more concerned on how to make the hoses bolt on properly and not leak. The modification for the brackets for 11.6 rotors were simple compared to that.

How much longer does the lines need to be? do they not extend enough for the wheels to be turned lock-to-lock?

I will go ahead and get those replacement boots, thanks!

When you look at SHOSources PBR Brake Upgrade he does mention that the factory brake hoses will work w/ slight modification. You may be wise to drop him a line (Matt at SHOSource) and see if he can tell you what exactly needs to be modified. And yes, definitely replace the boots!

Thanks guys! I read from the SHO board that the G3/4 lines can be used with the dremal grinding described by 00-seTX but is pretty stout when wheels are turned lock-to-lock, being a cheap-ass who can't afford the NESHO stainless line at this time(well, theortically I can, but there are a lot more parts that this car needed to make it  Autocross worthy and keep being a reliable daily driver) I guess I will have to  go with whatever's avaliable now. I will also report back on how the process goes when we tackle this project, thanks! 

IIRC, it was basically taking one side of the driver's side line (the end that bolts to the caliper) and grinding it down to where it fits past a lip on the caliper. The other option is grinding the caliper, but that might void a core in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Like 00tec said, the front Cobra conversion is no harder then a regular brake job. I think I mentioned that it only involves taking off the factory caliper assembly and bolt on the cobras instead. you just need to make sure that the modification of the cobra brackets are correct and the original wheel fit over the enlarged caliper assembly. one thing to possibly do is to use this as a chance to change brake lines..I know I should've done that.  

Edited by Vashthestanbeto

I am currently living with it, I still get a bit of slack when the wheels are turned lock-to-lock so I guess it's good for now. but still looking into swapping the lines in the near future.

What did you end up doing about the line length?

Thanks for providing the extra info. Yes the 94-98 and 99-04 calipers are not NOT interchangeable. also 94-98 rebuild kits are easily obtained from local parts stores, while the larger bore 99-04 ones have to be ordered online. I tried to use the 38mm  kits for 94-98 while rebuilding and they wouldn't fit.