Sign in to follow this  
anharman

I Thought It Was Dead. But It Just Won't Start.

HELP! I bought a 2001 Ford Taurus SE station wagon from my aunt. I am happy with the car - she took beautiful care of it when it was "her baby." However, I did a ditz move the other day and accidentally tried to start it with they key to my Mom's Potiac. Afterwards, my key wouldn't start it. I tried my spare key and that wouldn't start it either. After trying to start it every two hours a number of times, the battery died. We charged it. It still wouldn't start. Made an appointment for tomorrow morning at the local repair shop. Then I talked to my brother, who said that his car had a similar issue that turned out to be an anti-theft "feature." He was able to get someone to reset his ignition for $30 by following a pattern of ignition position settings. However, I can't find anything on the internet for how to reset mine. All the manual says is "take it to a dealer or a locksmith." I really hope I'm not going to have to pay $300 at a dealership for this!

Is your 'THEFT' light blinking rapidly when you put the ignition in 'RUN'? You can try the following steps and see if the car will start.

1. Turn the key to 'RUN' (do not try to start).

2. The 'THEFT' light should blink rapidly. After a minute the blinks should slow down.

3. Turn the ignition 'OFF' and remove the key and keep it at least 2 feet from the steering column for 30 seconds.

4. Put the key back in and turn to the 'RUN' position. Wait for the normal engine self-test procedure to take place. The 'THEFT' light should not be blinking. If it isn't you should be able to start the vehicle normally.

If this doesn't work and the 'THEFT' light is still flashing you can disconnect the negative battery cable for a short while and reset the computer. If that doesn't work the PCM will most likely need a flash.

I found this info at forum.gopowerhungry.com

It sounds like the PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) has locked the PCM down in an attempt to stop the car from being 'stolen.'

To disable the PATS 'Theft Mode' (as I call it) just open the drivers door with the key, as in lock the door, and unlock it with the key and not the keyfob.

Is your 'THEFT' light blinking rapidly when you put the ignition in 'RUN'? You can try the following steps and see if the car will start.

1. Turn the key to 'RUN' (do not try to start).

2. The 'THEFT' light should blink rapidly. After a minute the blinks should slow down.

3. Turn the ignition 'OFF' and remove the key and keep it at least 2 feet from the steering column for 30 seconds.

4. Put the key back in and turn to the 'RUN' position. Wait for the normal engine self-test procedure to take place. The 'THEFT' light should not be blinking. If it isn't you should be able to start the vehicle normally.

If this doesn't work and the 'THEFT' light is still flashing you can disconnect the negative battery cable for a short while and reset the computer. If that doesn't work the PCM will most likely need a flash.

I found this info at forum.gopowerhungry.com

It sounds like the PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) has locked the PCM down in an attempt to stop the car from being 'stolen.'

Agreed

To disable the PATS 'Theft Mode' (as I call it) just open the drivers door with the key, as in lock the door, and unlock it with the key and not the keyfob.

The Pats does not disable with the key in any door. It will disable when the correct coded key is inserted into the ignition, started, and the pats knows that code.

Keyfob or key in the door do not do anything except disable the alarm if you have one

The Pats does not disable with the key in any door. It will disable when the correct coded key is inserted into the ignition, started, and the pats knows that code.

When I accidentally puts Nicks car in Theft Mode by putting the wrong key in, putting the correct key in did not work. We had to get his spare to make it work. That's when I found online that unlocking the door with a key was 'disabled' would re-enable it.

When I accidentally puts Nicks car in Theft Mode by putting the wrong key in, putting the correct key in did not work. We had to get his spare to make it work. That's when I found online that unlocking the door with a key was 'disabled' would re-enable it.

But only cars with the security system have a sensor about if it is unlocked or locked. Putting a key in the ignition, not door, will do that if its already been programmed. The system can also go into a mode where it'll freeze, just like when I try too many times to enter a code in the keypad. The one that you put in the door must've been a master key for his car.

Check out http://www.fordf150....wto/patskey.php

In all my years of having over a dozen PATS vehicles in my family I've never once heard about this door thing... It'd be best he follows standard procedure. With the wrong key it used, the system possibly just needs reset with a battery pull and he'll be fine.

Huh, that explains that then. Thanks for clarifying.

Ok kids, By a raise of hands. Who thinks you can disable PATS on 1998 + FLM vehicles. ?

Lesson.

The only way to disable the PATS (immobilizer) is to take you car to a Tuner. These are guys that sit in your car while you drive with a laptop and read all the sensors and the PCM. **Some** have the ability to, while chaning the timings and such to disable the "present key interrogation" when the vehicle is started.

Locking the doors with the key will only disable the annoyingly "honk,,, honk,,honk" . .. Read "perimeter alarm " See SEL/ LS Premium.

Also, only high trim even had lock cylinder centers in the doors. That theory would mean that high trim bulls would allow you to turn off :"theft mode". I can see that in fleets, but not high trims.

If you wish to disable the perimeter alarm, see the post here.

Edited by thesavo

Just happened to me.
I fixed it by replacing the ECM RELAY from O'Reilly for $15, number 31 on the fuse diagram. 
If that doesn't work, replace the ECM RELAY FUSE, number 2 on the fuse diagram
Be careful of fake fuse diagrams which show only 40A fuses

Edited by ChuckNV1

ECM RELAY can also be called the PCM RELAY. 

Autozone doesn't sell it

The RELAY FUSE is 30A

Edited by ChuckNV1