Please Help Me Isolate Rear Suspension Noises

This is interesting..ever since my rear struts job I've been hearing 2 kinds of noises..No.1 is a popping noise when going over bumps, No.2 is a squeak similar to metal flexing, or when you put on your parking brake when parked in a slope. only heard when I am cornering while going uphill or downhill at the same time. for No.2 I am thinking it ;s possibly have something to do with the passenger side parking brake cable being re-attached to the buttom of the rear lower control arm during the rear disk swap. No.1 I have no idea, I'd greatly appreciate any ideas that will help me isolate the problems, thanks!

FYI the list of parts swapped in the back being: rear disk swap, struts, springs, 26mm sway bar with brackets and bushings, swaybar endlinks.

I bet the squeaky/rubbing sound you hear on corners is actually your swaybar bushings. Mine creak. I need to lube them to make them hush up, lol.

I see, Thanks, as far as the lube goes would KY work or I need something stronger? :lol: No seriously would silicone grease do the trick?

Also, just wonder, how does your squeak sound like? my sounded like metal flexing.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

All right, here comes a little update:

I found out what caused Noise #1-the popping noise. It seems to be the 26mm sway bar itself or something connected to it.While very hard, if enough force is applied to the swaybar, it will make a loud popping noise the seems to be coming from no obvious where. Will take it to the mechanic and see what we can find.

I sprayed silicone grease all over the swaybar bushings and the endlink bushings following Nick(BullGeek)'s instruction, but that didn't make noise #2 go away, again it sound like metal flexing, not a squeaking noise from the bushings.

Just went under the car again as I got a moment of free time to spare, checked everything I can access and tried to wiggle them with arm pressure..everything is tight but I noticed this:

dsc02368c.jpg

The endlink bushing is somewhat forced out of its buttom fastener, this seems to be due to the angle of the ingalls endlink, the driver side is the same way but opposite angle.Do you think it can probably be causing the problem? it is however, very, very tight. and will not move under manual pressure,

I also recorded the noise it made when turning over a bump or when not on level ground..which is th only time this noise occurs:

Sounds kinda like a spring or metal flex noise isn't it? Hope with those aids you guys can help me come up with something, Thanks for your help in advance!

Edited by Vashthestanbeto

Totally sounds like a broken end link in the rear, which is kinda what that picture shows right since it is not in the correct place? I had that same type of noise when my rear endlink went bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if you've got it all figured out by now but from your picture it looks like that end link bushing is upside down. There is a smaller diameter lip that should go inside the sway bar loop. From that picture angle it looks like it might be deformed too much to reuse and should be replaced. The popping noise could be when it deflects enough to slide into place then back out again, and the bolt hitting the inside of the sway bar loop. I agree that the sqeaking is probably the sway bar bushing and you'll probably have to take it back off in order to get lubricant in far enough to make a difference. Hope that helps and good luck!

I had mentioned the same thing in an earlier thread. The sway bar bushing is upside down. Fix it and you should be good.

+1