I just recently bought a set of Ford Service manuals from an Ebay seller that were used and he got from at a closed Ford dralership. Do you think this is better than a Chilton or Haynes manual, for doing mods and repairs. I also got a Cd-rom from another seller, but the stupid thing must be a copy or something, cuz it keeps closing and saying that there is no location for it. I was also wondering the same seller he has an original CD-ROM of the manual, but he states in the description that it will not work on windows 7...any suggestions, I might get it also if any one has any suggestions on how to make it work on my computer..yes.. which has windows 7

I just recently bought a set of Ford Service manuals from an Ebay seller that were used and he got from at a closed Ford dralership. Do you think this is better than a Chilton or Haynes manual, for doing mods and repairs. I also got a Cd-rom from another seller, but the stupid thing must be a copy or something, cuz it keeps closing and saying that there is no location for it. I was also wondering the same seller he has an original CD-ROM of the manual, but he states in the description that it will not work on windows 7...any suggestions, I might get it also if any one has any suggestions on how to make it work on my computer..yes.. which has windows 7

I'd say Chilton or Haynes manuals go into more detail.

I'd say Chilton or Haynes manuals go into more detail.

The Factory service manual alone is 3 inches thick! and that is for a single model and model year There is some really valuable information in the factory manuals that is missing completly from the Haynes and Chilton Manuals. You won't find anything on transmission internals in the aftermarket manuals and very little on things like Air Conditioning.

The Factory service manual alone is 3 inches thick! and that is for a single model and model year There is some really valuable information in the factory manuals that is missing completly from the Haynes and Chilton Manuals. You won't find anything on transmission internals in the aftermarket manuals and very little on things like Air Conditioning.

x10.64 trillion

the FSM make a Haynes manual look like it should line the litterbox, and Chiltons guides are a hair better but not by much.

I have a FSM for my Durango I got for free. It's just under 4" thick.Has everything you'd ever to need to know in it.

I have CD's of factory manuals for 92-04. Some of them don't work on Windows 7, but some do. I don't know why. I have been unable to get any of the wiring diagram sections to work on any computer. There is probably something quirky with a windows driver that is incompatible with the CD's.

And YES, the factory manuals are far superior to the Haynes/Chiltons. The only thing Haynes/Chiltons has are actual pictures for some repairs.

In my experience, factory service manuals are much better than any aftermarket books. The aftermarket manual might be a good thing to keep in your trunk for simple roadside emergencies and specifications.

FSM is always going to be better, unless, like mentioned above, you are looking for a decent picture/reference that the FSM doesn't cover.

Ahem...

dd184414.jpg

'nuff said. ;)

Let me tell you...

When I had my 1995 Ford Contour GL, I did some engine work, I bought a Haynes manual, and when I was changing my timing belt, it did not mention how to align the DOHC and Crank.

FSM had every detail of how to take every inch of that engine apart, along with the wiring, components, etc. Every inch of the car seemed to be covered.

Haynes? Naw man, naw.

I did get a copy of the Ford FSM from a website that used to have all the model years for free. The owner of said site later got sued by Ford :(

Thanks guys...I feel better now about investing in them. Brian...you always know how to make a point.....:)

Bob, I might order that CD-ROM any way it might be nice to have a back up on the computer...even if it doesn't work, I can still use it other places with older systems..like maybe a friend with a computer in his garage

Also, if you have trouble with a FSM running in windows 7, Grab a copy of Virtual Box from Sun Micro-systems Oracle. In stall windows 98 or XP in the VM.

Make and ISO of your FSM, read it in the VM. Map your printer as device or Print to PDF.

Done!

My haynes manual is USELESS

I thought you were talking about manual transmissions... and I was excited for a little bit... mellow.gif

Ahem...

dd184414.jpg

'nuff said. ;)

and the Haynes / Chilton manuals attempt to cover multiple generations in a single book. FSMs apply to a single year. Imagine how much gets left out by Haynes and Chilton. Their books are reverse engineered by disassembling the car in a repair bay. FSMs are produced as the car is built from scratch.