I'm a long-time lurker, but first-time poster.

I am attempting the MACH upgrade on my 2004 Taurus SES. I have already pulled the MACH RCU, door speakers and sail tweeters from a 2002 Sable LS.

I will have no problem swapping out the door speakers or the RCU, but the tweeters have stumped me right now. From everything I've read, this should be a plug-and-play upgrade; the wiring should already be there. Today when I took my door panel off, I didn't see the gray wire I needed for the tweeters. I've attached a photo so you can see what I mean. Am I just being stupid and not seeing the wire, or is it not there? The car was never a fleet car, so the wiring wouldn't have been removed for that reason.

Any thoughts or help you can give is appreciated!

post-115-0-44048600-1309843418_thumb.jpg

Edited by akmarch

Very simple

If you took the harness from a donor car, run that down to the current speaker wires, and splice into them. They share the same wires. On an actual pre-wired car, you'd actually see the wire chain off the main speaker wire, to the tweeter :)

Also - Welcome fellow Taurus owner :)

Edited by TaurusKev

Ak! Welcome to tsoc.png!

And Just so you know the door speakers and the rear shelf speakers and the same between base and Mach. I wouldn't even waste my time replacing those. If you notice when you pull out the old ones, if you do, they should have the same part numbers.

Welcome to TSOC. Love the pose in your avatar picture. And Gentz, really? So if I were to grab a speaker out of the j/y in a non-mach car, it would be the same in mine? That's good to know, I think I have one going fuzzy.

Edited by Rusty

Welcome to TSOC. Love the pose in your avatar picture. And Gentz, really? So if I were to grab a speaker out of the j/y in a non-mach car, it would be the same in mine? That's good to know, I think I have one going fuzzy.

Yep the only cars to have anything special were the 97 JBL RCU's they had special speakers.

Thanks for all the help. I wired it up this evening and put in the new RCU. It sounds great. Definitely worth the $18 spent.

And Just so you know the door speakers and the rear shelf speakers and the same between base and Mach. I wouldn't even waste my time replacing those. If you notice when you pull out the old ones, if you do, they should have the same part numbers.

Interesting. I thought so too until I looked. My car of course had the base system and the speakers in the back and in the doors were the same (same part numbers). The speakers I pulled (with the Mach system) had the same speakers as the ones in the back of my car but different ones in the doors. I swapped the front ones out anyway.

Edited by akmarch

If you want the Mach to sound better... I recommend throwing in some Pioneer Speakers in place of the stock speakers. Makes a big difference, it's clearer, and sounds like it has more bass.

One more note to add:

All gen 3's have the tweeter wiring already there in the door.

All gen 4 SEL, LS and LS premium models have the tweeter plugs in also, along with some SES model years.

The plugs were not put in the gen 4 LX and SE models. :)

I agree with Kevin too.

I also used pioneer 2 way speakers with my mach system!!

Edited by durasel

Is there a specific model of pioneers you guys are referring to?

Isn't there crossovers at each speaker? Do these need to stay?

Something like these or these. You can also check my garage for the Pioneers I have with part numbers.

The stock speakers do not have crossovers. If the Pioneers have crossovers they are integrated into the units themselves. You can get component speakers with separate crossovers but then you have to find room and do extra wiring. The Mach tweets come with filters so they aren't a problem.

• Like 1

I have four TS-G6843R's, which are 6x8" components that bolt right in where the front door and rear shelf speakers are now. That's what I'd recommend. :)

• Like 1