Sign in to follow this  
Sean T.

Brake Dust Protectant?

Is there anything I can put on my wheels to keep them from collecting brake dust? It only takes a day or two after washing them and they're really dirty again.... i'd really like the cleanliness to last longerrrrrr

Ceramic pads. :mellow:

Ceramic pads. :mellow:

.. Yeah I was gonna say better pads haha ... But i thought i sounded like an asshole.laugh.gif

The pads on mine are from the dealer and my wheels are 95% brake-dust free. Havent washed the wheels in months, either. You need better pads.

You'll notice a slight degradation in braking performance with ceramic vs carbon metallic, but its usually quieter and creates virtually no dust.

If you want better performance and less dust, maybe its time for EBC greenstuff pads.

I have EBC pads, I'm pretty sure they're the greenstuff ones too.... not sure.

They are the only pads I've ever had this problem with and as soon as they wear out, I'm going back to dealer pads. The EBC ones work great and last a long time, but it's just not worth all the brake dust.

• Like 1

I have EBC pads, I'm pretty sure they're the greenstuff ones too.... not sure.

They are the only pads I've ever had this problem with and as soon as they wear out, I'm going back to dealer pads. The EBC ones work great and last a long time, but it's just not worth all the brake dust.

I think that's a wise decision. I put dealer pads on mine ooohhhhhh........... say, somewhere between 30 and 35 thousand miles ago, and they are lasting great. I won't put anything else on.

I didn't have a massive amount of brake dust except when using performance friction carbon metallic...then I turned the wheels black in a few minutes of spirited driving.

I hate my Duralast Gold Ceramics. They are very messy compared to what Ford OEM had. Ceramics are "supposed" to be cleaner, but I notice that s**t way sooner on my rim than Motorcraft Pads.

Sean,

Try taking your wheels off for your next wash. I suggest spraying them down with either Purple Power or Simple Green, let sit for about a minute or two and spray off... If the wheel is still caked with dirt, spray again and use a scrub brush/cloth to clean the rest of the dirt off... Dry completely and then use wax (apply and take off like you do on your paint) then re-install the wheels. The wax will help the brake dust to "slide off" and not be so prominent. Hope this helps!

Thanks :) yeah I was gonna take em off and wash them today but I didn't have time before work.... maybe tomorrow morning.

I hate my Duralast Gold Ceramics. They are very messy compared to what Ford OEM had. Ceramics are "supposed" to be cleaner, but I notice that s**t way sooner on my rim than Motorcraft Pads.

I am running the same Duralast Gold Ceramics on my Chestnut with Chrome SHO wheels and I couldn't disagree with you more.

Mike

:dunno:

Im running Autozone Duralast Gold on both ends of the wagon with the SHO chrome rims. I drive at least 250 miles a week, sometimes up to 500 miles in the summer with shows. I dont notice much dust if any on my wheels. When I wash the car, I wash the wheels first with a brake dust cleaner & cloth covered wax pad. Then I wash them again with the soap while washing the car. Finally I use the Mequiars quick detail on the wheels. I also have the vented rotors this year, I dont know if that makes any differance, but in the end, my rims are cleaner than I expect for the miles I put on.

I just use westleys....takes care of all unwanted brake dust then I wax the rims...I'm running ceramics as well

My Duralast Gold ceramics have worked extremely well since early '09 (and since last summer for the rear discs), and I've not had an issue with brake dust ever since... :mellow:

I have used Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic brake pads on my Taurus and my brothers Ranger with no problems,quiet, good stopping power and no brake dust.

Wagner Thermoquiet

There was a product branded by Goodyear as brake dust repellant / protectant. I did not see any noticeable benefit. I think your best bet is to wax the rims so the dust is easier to wipe off.

There was a product branded by Goodyear as brake dust repellant / protectant. I did not see any noticeable benefit. I think your best bet is to wax the rims so the dust is easier to wipe off.

Shut up Luke, what the hell would you know about it?

Mike

:angry: