The Official Dang Near Anything Thread

Again, nothing seen in those videos is the fault of the turbo. Yes it does introduce more points of failure to an engine but that is to be expected with a machine. Seals blow out like in these vids? Rebuild or replace the turbo.

And saying turbo engines are a bad idea because they fail is just nonsense. I suppose I shouldn't own a Taurus then as the transmission is known to randomly bomb or the cam synchro can (and will) go bad. Or a V8 SHO with the walking cam sprockets issue. Or the V6 SHO's needing a bottom end rebuild every 60k miles. Or any of the 1,000,001 other things that can go wrong with cars.

Shit happens. Cars are doomed to eventually fail the first time they are started at the end of the assembly line. Every time you run the engine it wears out a little more. Some parts are under more stress than others and can fail sooner. Just because something breaks doesn't mean it's bad. In the case of the GM engine that started this discussion, the problem is with the humans that designed the engine. Bad design in = bad results out. The machine can't be blamed for human error.

tl;dr Still not the turbo's fault.

• Like 2
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting a new business with an old friend. He currently owns and operates a small auto repair shop in south Austin. His current location is too small to meet demand so he has been wanting to expand.

Finally looking at a job "upgrade", at least for me. Got a conditional job offer from O'Reilly Auto Parts making considerably more than what I do now at Zaxby's with the added potential of being able

Its a rental car, remember it gets the piss beat out of it... Don't be gentle its a rental.

Posted Images

I decided not to continue to feed the troll. I've done too much pandering to the masses over the years, and I'm quite done.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, SoNic said:

When you are out of arguments, then resort to insults. Very intellectual...

Well then lets go about it this way:

What would anyone have to prove to change your mind? 

• Like 1
When you are out of arguments, then resort to insults. Very intellectual...

You obviously are the subject matter expert in why turbocharged cars are a terrible idea. No matter what anyone else has experienced, nor how many turbo cars that myself or others have owned that didn't have any turbo related issues, your argument has won. Happy now?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So Kevin, do you ever use your garage to house cars??

6 cars at your house, starting to look like a dealership...

• Like 1

Garage is a nightmare right now. It will be dealt with in spring. I was going to clean it up back in November, then I got sick, then it got cold, then snow came in around December. My snowblower is still in summer position, so... If I get a nasty blizzard, going to hate life because it's deep in the back, and I was doing some home remodeling, and so I got some construction stuff laid out where the Blue bird went. Not driving the blue bird in salt, so I think it'll be alright to hang out in the snow... I'll give her a very detailed wash/wax in the spring. When we get a decent day, I will try and clear the construction mess up in the garage and put the blue bird away.

SC I plan on selling, Taurus is gonna sadly be junked, the body rust is just sadly beyond repair... I want to pull some things out of it before I junk it, like the police cluster, the clock, the EATC Module, and the picnic table. I can poke a screwdriver through it to inside the cabin. I might go the route Nick went and go for a full sized wagon from down South. Brian's Mustang I have a buyer for, so in the warmer weather, I gotta reassemble it, and then trying to decide how to get it down to North Carolina. So maybe when it comes time to take the Mustang down South, I can maybe get a Southern full sized wagon to bring back North :)

• Like 3
5 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

So maybe when it comes time to take the Mustang down South, I can maybe get a Southern full sized wagon to bring back North :)

There's some that have been popping up here. Nick or myself could definitely help you find one should you want to do that route. Fair warning, though, unless it was garage kept, the wood grain is usually pretty toast by this point. Here's an example of how a number of them turn up: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/5888843747.html

I've already got my fix, though. :ph34r: Comes home at the beginning of next year.

Edited by Kodachrome Wolf

I can also keep an eye out or feel free to troll the local craigslist as it gets closer to time. If you want, I can go and check something out, get video/pics whatever you need.

GM hasn't built a decent 4 or 6 cylinder in ages.  Most of their product line is utter garbage subpar junk anyways.  Disposable, poorly constructed complete crap. But it's cheap so people and fleets buy them.   

They have the Sububuran/Tahoe/Silverado line up done ok, short of typical GM electrical crap.

• Like 1

I loved my Impala Rental. That 4 banger got an impressive 38 Mpg in a full size sedan. However... I prefer hatches. I think for now I am just going to stick to the fleet I have.

4 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

I loved my Impala Rental. That 4 banger got an impressive 38 Mpg in a full size sedan. However... I prefer hatches. I think for now I am just going to stick to the fleet I have.

BI4OzBe.jpg

:P

• Like 1

Holiday greetings to all of you. I'm not going to post some pretty snow pic of Christmas lights etc. For us that means snow to be shoveled, cars to be dug out, hoping that the doors aren't frozen, the potential for rust damage, praying the battery hasn't gone dead, etc. 

Have a good time inside safe and warm with your families and loved ones. 

7 minutes ago, REDTRUCKCHASER said:

Holiday greetings to all of you. I'm not going to post some pretty snow pic of Christmas lights etc. For us that means snow to be shoveled, cars to be dug out, hoping that the doors aren't frozen, the potential for rust damage, praying the battery hasn't gone dead, etc. 

Have a good time inside safe and warm with your families and loved ones. 

Sounds like fun to me lol. I miss all that stuff with my Taurus.

On 12/22/2016 at 1:12 PM, Bull Geek said:

GM hasn't built a decent 4 or 6 cylinder in ages.  Most of their product line is utter garbage subpar junk anyways.  Disposable, poorly constructed complete crap. But it's cheap so people and fleets buy them.   

They have the Sububuran/Tahoe/Silverado line up done ok, short of typical GM electrical crap.

GM also has a major problem with running their company, even after the whole bailout fiasco. Has anyone seen the recent incentives on Silverados and Tahoe/Suburbans. They must have thought that their "tough steel construction" would sell better against Ford, meanwhile their sales have dipped and they have way too much inventory.

While their current Silverado is probably the best truck they have built in years it still doesn't hold a candle to the F150. GM will loose even more market to the new SD which I have been seeing a lot of on the road, and I have a feeling the 2018 Expedition will reverse the long held position that GM has enjoyed with the Tahoe/Suburban/GMC twins.

• Like 1

Septic drain field is done. Inspector shoud be here tomorrow. Only 1-2 more little things (like power, water, etc) and we're good to go

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Saw a post on CVN regarding wagon weatherstripping, so I started looking again, but going through tons of various vendors is difficult.

Anyway, along time ago someone GMN found some stuff that was rather close. I'm just tossing this out to anyone who would be willing to see if they might recognize or know of a manufacturer that makes weather stripping with this particular cross section:

attachment.php?attachmentid=35417&d=1364

If anyone finds that particular one, you win all the internetz, forever, and would do Panther wagon owners a huge favor. The newest wagon is 26 years old, and our parts dried up a while ago, so finding NOS, good condition used stuff, and stuff we make work is about the only way.

Contact Steele Rubber.  If they don't have it...you can send yours and they will make it!   

Jeff

Soon to be unemployed. 

For the last 13 months I've been managing an auto repair shop owned by my long time friend, Joaquin. He's run his shop for the last 20 years after taking over for his father, who still works there. Joaquin and I have been friends since junior high. His father gave me my first legitimate job sweeping floors in the garage during the summer in high school. His family are some of the most honest and humble people I've ever met, and the operate an honest, family auto repair business. Joaquin and I have talked about opening another location for a long time and last February that became a reality. I left my career in radiology to open and manage the second garage in south Austin. It was a slow start but I established a good customer base and solid reputation in the neighborhood. There is a lot of competition in the area and I managed to pull many customers from the other repair shops.

However, the long commute and hours were taking a toll on me and my family life. I continued to work every Sunday in the Emergency Room to supplement my income. Our son is turning 1 year old in 2 weeks. 6 days a week of 16 hour days is too much. I only get to see my kid 1 day a week. Joaquin also has a 18 month old and understands my situation. He would do anything to help, as I would for him. So, I requested to return to full time at the ER, where I make more money working only 3-4 days a week. Done deal, rehired. Began making arrangements to find my replacement for the garage. 

The Monday following my rehire, the facility announced that it will be closing the doors in 60 days. [email protected]#€£¥%*K....... I really enjoy the company and facility I currently work for. I do not want to return to the big hospital setting. I'd take another pay cut as well. I've sent out applications but everything is "under review" nearly a month since I applied. 

Yesterday was my last day at the garage. Had my busiest week since we opened. Some of my repeat customers, upon hearing of my impending leave, decided to bring their cars in for service before I was gone. It was nice to feel appreciated and valued. My replacement was scheduled to train with me, and no-call / no-showed. Not sure what happened there. Joaquin will make it work, but it's gonna hinder the current growth in the business. I have no professional background in auto repair or running a business, but Joaquin believed enough in me and I was motivated to succeed for him. 

I can pick up a few shifts a month at another ER in town with the same company. Considering getting a small camper to haul around the state and work at other facilities in the company. If I can get 12 shifts a month, I'll be ok and still get more time with the family. We shall see......