The Official Dang Near Anything Thread

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting a new business with an old friend. He currently owns and operates a small auto repair shop in south Austin. His current location is too small to meet demand so he has been wanting to expand.

Finally looking at a job "upgrade", at least for me. Got a conditional job offer from O'Reilly Auto Parts making considerably more than what I do now at Zaxby's with the added potential of being able

Its a rental car, remember it gets the piss beat out of it... Don't be gentle its a rental.

Posted Images

So yesterday... I was driving to work. And some guy pulled next to me. I didn't get a good look at him, but I was in a hurry to get to the next light as it was one of those signaled Left turn lights, so I wanted to get to that light before it went green. Light turns green, I put it in first and gun it, shift to second, and notice someone trying to pass me, I give it more hell, when I was about to shift to 3rd when I was about 40 Mph, I realized it was a cop. Thankfully I don't think he thinks I was trying to drag race him... As the Aveo was too damn slow lol. Had I been in any other car, I might have been talking to him lol. Benefits of slow cars. :)

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Today around lunch, I'm sitting in my truck parked just outside of our work limits, maybe 200-300 feet from the major intersection on our project. I hear the screeching of tires and a very loud bang, I look up to see a Honda Accord Cross Tour flying across the intersection and a dump truck skidding to a stop.

The Accord failed to stop for a red light and met 70,000+ lbs of a fully loaded quad axle dump truck going 25-30mph. The Accord was struck right in the passenger side A pillar (lucky for them it wasn't further back or the passenger may have really gotten hurt, since the contact point on a bumper for a dump truck is so high) the force spun the car 180 degrees around and slid it 50 feet into some barricades along our work zone. You can't tell that well from this picture but I bet the A pillar was pushed in at least a foot. All passenger side air bags deployed and the windshield buckled inward. You can see the dump truck in the background, damage to the truck consisted of the front bumper being bent and a small piece of plastic missing from the plastic "Mack" grill. Passenger of the Accord was rattled pretty good, she was shaking really bad and clearly in shock.

Lesson...don't run a red light, especially when a dump truck is coming from the other way, you will loose.

IMG_20160823_125440052_zpsdhmovfli.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

This is by far the best dump truck tailgate I have ever seen. "Suicide"

Truck was a black Peterbilt 369, Cat powered based on distinct rumble as he pulled off.

IMG_20160908_092459269_zpsx1hj02p0.jpg

• Like 2

Ya know... Driving a panelless van is pretty hard with that right hand side as that is a huge blind spot, and the mirrors are somewhat helpful, but I don't 100% trust mirrors, because small cars don't like to show up in mirrors when they think it's a fantastic idea to drive in a blind spot. I feel bad for truckers, they're blind spots are much worse than a panel van. Anytime I notice someone in a large vehicle with a turn indicator on, I try to slow the traffic down so they can merge into a lane. Trucks bring the world together.

When it comes to trucks on the road, my philosophy is "Anything bigger than me has the right of way."  I don't care how badly it's being driven, I'm not going to mess with it. I give trucks/buses the right of way and like Kev, try to make way for them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another nasty one from the same intersection on the job site. Freightliner M2 vs Pontiac Bonneville. I didnt see it but it had to be pretty bad, they stopped traffic going east and west for 15 minuets.

Same deal, car ran a red light and the Old Wisconsin Truck was coming though the intersection at traveling speed of 30mph.

IMG_20160922_093332536_zpslptpnuxy.jpg

Been seeking a new job. I forgot how much I hated job searching.

My job is causing high levels of stress because of how cheap my company is. So I've got applications in for a police department, a real estate company, a job that I kind of want working for a vehicle assembly plant, all doing IT, and I am debating on just getting out of IT and going into car sales.

Sad part is, I like what I do, but management is horrible. And when many teammates speak up, our sup gets promoted to manager, and then fires our mobility person who handled phones for all of IL, part of MI and part of IN... That's now all on me too. So hopefully I find something better because this is unbearable.

• Like 2

Back in CT for work - all cars loaned out to other people so I had to rent one.

I have Hertz gold now, which means I pick whatever car I want and drive away with it (as long as its midzise-ish). So my assigned car was a Focus hatch. My other options were another Focus Hatch, Chevy (Generic Small Shitty Sedan), a Nissan Versa, or a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab.

So, duh i took the Frontier.

I honestly really like it. It's a truck, an honest truck. And it will easily lay down lovely 11's on the road. Going to see how it is offroad because its got 4wd and 4wd low. So why not?

I loved my frontier,it just wasn't big enough with two young kids. The front seats had to be up so far with the baby seat your knees were touching the dash. The 4x4 worked awesome in it, Nissan did a good job on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

The Frontiers in fleet trim aren't bad, but holy cow if anyone ever orders one, get it with a tilt steering wheel! I only find that the wheel could be angled a touch higher for taller people. All of our delivery trucks (2 Rangers and 1 Frontier) are all fleet trimmed, but the Frontier is probably the "nicest" as far as options go. It has cruise control, a CD player, cloth seats, and steering wheel radio controls. I still prefer driving the Rangers when I have to take one out on the occasion I have to make a delivery. They're just so easy backing into spaces and maneuvering about. :) As far as I am aware, our store added the Frontier when the need to increase the delivery capacity.

Option wise for the Rangers, the only thing they have IMHO is an automatic transmission. If they had a manual, they would be the definition of a no option base model. They're set up with 4 cylinder engines, automatic transmissions, A/C, standard cab, power steering, vinyl manual bench, rubber floor mats, 4 button AM/FM radio, manual windows, manual locks, and manual mirrors. I can't really complain about them though, since the 4 cylinder is peppy enough when you turn off the A/C and roll down the window. For some reason, I really like driving the highest mileage one should I be asked to make a run and it's available.

7 hours ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

The Frontiers in fleet trim aren't bad, but holy cow if anyone ever orders one, get it with a tilt steering wheel! I only find that the wheel could be angled a touch higher for taller people. All of our delivery trucks (2 Rangers and 1 Frontier) are all fleet trimmed, but the Frontier is probably the "nicest" as far as options go. It has cruise control, a CD player, cloth seats, and steering wheel radio controls. I still prefer driving the Rangers when I have to take one out on the occasion I have to make a delivery. They're just so easy backing into spaces and maneuvering about. :) As far as I am aware, our store added the Frontier when the need to increase the delivery capacity.

Option wise for the Rangers, the only thing they have IMHO is an automatic transmission. If they had a manual, they would be the definition of a no option base model. They're set up with 4 cylinder engines, automatic transmissions, A/C, standard cab, power steering, vinyl manual bench, rubber floor mats, 4 button AM/FM radio, manual windows, manual locks, and manual mirrors. I can't really complain about them though, since the 4 cylinder is peppy enough when you turn off the A/C and roll down the window. For some reason, I really like driving the highest mileage one should I be asked to make a run and it's available.

This was an SV shockingly. Bluetooth, A/C, electric locks and it did have a tilting wheel :)

I really enjoyed the truck the week that I had it.

• Like 1

This is quite possibly the most interesting video I've seen on Youtube.

From what I have gathered, these are lemons or what not. But it's such a clean way of disposing of cars lol.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.carlisleevents.com/carlisle-events/carlisle-ford-nationals/carlisle-ford-nationals-detail.aspx?detailid=1436

So one of the guys on a Panther forum was gauging interest in possible going to Carlisle next year, so I visited Carlisle's page to see what information and planned displays they're having. One of them involves 100 years of Lincoln, and you can barely see Nick's '90 Town Car towards the back. :D

Being annoyed with the fact that Windows XP is limited by it's RAM being a 32 bit OS, I obtained a copy of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. And holy crap does this OS Fly within a virtual environment on a Core i7. FireFox is anticipating EOL'ing XP/Vista support by 2018 by no longer releasing updates for it. I got two more years on XP before I have to worry about browsing the web on it :)

If only Microsoft would just release another XP...