The Official Dang Near Anything Thread

1 hour ago, SHOenough said:

Solid guess, but not quite

Edit: Not German

The only other late model vehicle with a turbocharged Inline 6 cylinder that I can think of is a Cummins turbodiesel Ram... 

You're not talking about an old 4.0L Jeep or a 4.2L Trailblazer/whateverthefuckbrand, are you? 

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting a new business with an old friend. He currently owns and operates a small auto repair shop in south Austin. His current location is too small to meet demand so he has been wanting to expand.

Finally looking at a job "upgrade", at least for me. Got a conditional job offer from O'Reilly Auto Parts making considerably more than what I do now at Zaxby's with the added potential of being able

Its a rental car, remember it gets the piss beat out of it... Don't be gentle its a rental.

Posted Images

Volvo T6, must be a S60/S80, XC60, or XC90.

The 3.0L T6 was introduced in 2007, and it can actually be mounted transversely as odd as that may seem, since I6s are usually long as hell. Power is 300hp and ~320 ft-lbs. Can't beat the natural balance of a straight 6, so smooth.

Good motor but not as cool as the Yamaha 4.4L V8.

• Like 1
On 6/18/2016 at 8:25 PM, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Is it a Volvo?

On 6/18/2016 at 10:41 PM, Thub said:

Volvo T6, must be a S60/S80, XC60, or XC90.

The 3.0L T6 was introduced in 2007, and it can actually be mounted transversely as odd as that may seem, since I6s are usually long as hell. Power is 300hp and ~320 ft-lbs. Can't beat the natural balance of a straight 6, so smooth.

Good motor but not as cool as the Yamaha 4.4L V8.

We have our winners!

Volvo XC70 T6 with the Polestar tuning. Might be my favorite car in quite some time. Supple, comfortable, handsome, and the T6 makes a great noise.

If you have the windows down and you punch it, you can hear the turbo spool and blow off in between shifts. Truly awesome car

• Like 1

I've been busy as hell lately. But I feel when I finish one project, another massive one opens up.

The 89 Supercoupe is coming along well. Both power windows work, the power seats both work, now it's just cleanup, rear brake pads, oil change, and she's for sale. I really want to get $4500, for an 89 with minimal rust (It does have rust, but compared to many MN-12's in the area, it's minuscule) and if it doesn't sell right away, I'll take it to my body shop to see if they can fix the rust spots. A TSOC discount is available if anyone here is interested in it of course. If it sells via club it also includes a repair manual and wiring diagram as well as some goodies.

The new project: the 05 Aveo, well I took some more looks into it, the fuckin A/C does not work. The compressor works, pressure on high and low look normal, but no cold air. It also has a weird hissing noise. I found similar videos on youtube with different answers. I think I'll take this to my body shop to have the A/C evacuated and properly recharged. I haven't started on any restoration on it, I figure I would finish the Supercoupe first and have it sale-worthy. The Aveo once fixed up I am hoping to get $1700 - $2300. Plans are to fully detail it inside and out, timing belt, tune up, and I think the Aveo had issues with the valve cover gasket, so that too. Then trying to repair headlights with wet sanding and clearcoating with UV clearcoat, and then repair the rusty rims nicely or if I find a nice set of alloy rims in a junkyard. Rear tail lights are a bit beat up so a new set of those too. I'll ebay those.

The 95 T-Bird - Only car that's get up and go ready. Does need an oil change as does the 02 Sable, so I'll change those two together. Maybe I see about taking the Sable into the exhaust shop to see if they'll replace the oil pan gasket since the exhaust is in the way. The Sable I want to do a full trans fluid flush, and power steering flush. But other than that, it's ugly but solid.

The motorcycle... Finally fixed. It's washed, cleaned, and finally ready to get some action this year!

And since I fixed something... The garage had a failure. Seems the chain that held the cable snapped causing the springs to come off, the garage needs replacing, so I think this year is the year to get it replaced with something bigger and better to hold the Thunderbird and the Taurus Project. The Taurus Project I need to start ripping the Essex out to get it ready to rebuild. I think in August or September I'll take a week off of work to try and knock the wagon out. Kind of in no hurry to do the wagon, I just want it done right and reliable so the wagon is like a new car.

Thankfully the garage was an easy fix. I had some extra big ass chain from work, and I just cut it to size and put it in. Now my garage actually opens smoother. But still want a new garage. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Back in CT, got outranked for my own damned company car and got stuck with the worst thing I have ever driven.

2008-2009 Taurus X.

Wallows, dumb tranny, terrible brakes, rattles galore. But on the up side, it did have a DVD player.

Also, contender for the ugliest car built in the last 20 years. But the BMW X4 is jockeying for the number one slot.

Finally looking at a job "upgrade", at least for me. Got a conditional job offer from O'Reilly Auto Parts making considerably more than what I do now at Zaxby's with the added potential of being able to make some advances internally, even just working part time since I will be going back to class come fall. I'm happy with how that worked out, and my hours will be similar to what I work now. 

• Like 6
20 hours ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Finally looking at a job "upgrade", at least for me. Got a conditional job offer from O'Reilly Auto Parts making considerably more than what I do now at Zaxby's with the added potential of being able to make some advances internally, even just working part time since I will be going back to class come fall. I'm happy with how that worked out, and my hours will be similar to what I work now. 

Congratulations Zach!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

I moved from Advance to O'Reilly last year after having worked my way up to store manager over around a 10 year span. I don't regret making the move one bit.  O'Reilly has a corporate team in place that actually supports it's stores and employees.  Also the monthly incentive checks aren't bad either.  You don't see either of the other chain stores offering that type of commission sales incentive to pretty much every store employee and not just upper management.   Your pay scale can be nearly limitless if you sell, sell, sell.  You can turn that 10.00 HR job into a $15 + hour job just by being committed to giving the best service.  Congrats!  

Jeff

While normally my 70 mile commute from Green Bay to Sheboygan and back on I43 is pretty boring, once and a while there is a little excitement.

Today on the way home, ~15 miles south of Green Bay I'm happily cruising along comfortable, close to the speed limit, I notice a group of cars moving up on me fast, I can see as they approach they all have "Land of Lincoln" plates, in some form of organized chaos they pass me, easily doing 10-15mph over the speed limit, all riding each others asses on a stretch of highway where every other car is spaced out several hundred feet. Not 10 seconds later they are all slowing way down, to the point where I am now switching lanes and passing them, sure enough a Wisconsin State patrol Explorer Utility is sitting in the median. As I pass by the state trooper I look over with a big smile on my face, and I can see he knows what just happened.  Those blue tinted plates and red letters are a dead give away once close enough. Since the up to the 70mph speed limit last year the State Patrol has made it very clear at what speed they will go after you for, you just have to know what that speed is...if your under it your fine, our neighbors to the south have yet to figure that out.

I got a good chuckle that all those Illinois people immediately panicked and slowed down to the speed limit. The only way to slow down a fib in Wisconsin, seen below.

22819141522_e5b873705b.jpg

I also have a boring 70 mile commute, 6 days a week, from my little town into Austin. Occasionally, there is some excitement.

While I'm cruising through a popular lakeside club area where the speed drops to 60mph, a green Dodge Ram with Colorado handicapped plates, comes up from behind very fast. The truck is tailgating and passing other drivers at 80+. I can hear the engine screaming as it passes. It's a Friday evening and traffic is heavy, the road is rolling and curvy. I see an opportunity to creep up beside the Dodge and prevent it from changing lanes again. Meanwhile, the truck tailgates the little crossover in the left lane going 65mph. The truck didn't notice my block move, begins to swerve into my lane, and corrects before making contact. I hold my line, tightly. Eventually, the crossover relents, moves over and allows the truck to pass. The Dodge screams ahead again.

A few minutes later, we are passing an intersection where much of the traffic turns off. My commute takes me straight. The truck is going the same direction. Speed limit increases to 65mph here. The truck accelerates again and I match it's speed at 80mph, with lots of distance. The truck realizes I'm following and slams on the brakes!!! I'm far enough behind that I don't even need to slow down, hit my turn signal, change lanes and pass. Brake check fail! So I reduce my speed to a conservative 75mph as the speed limit changes to 70mph. The truck decides to stay far behind and cruise. 

About 10 minutes later I'm coming up to another highway intersection where I turn off. I see a Sheriff's car going the other direction and notice he's turning around... "Great," I think to myself, "this f#$%er is gonna get the last laugh as I get a speeding ticket (for 5 over?!)". The Sheriff catches up to me, turns on his lights, we pull over.... and the green truck pulls in behind the officer.

The officer approaches, introduces himself, and states he received a report of a near collision. He only has details from dispatch and he will get both sides of the story. I tell him I was considering calling as well after the truck brake checked me. He takes my license and approaches the driver of the green truck. He collects another license and returns to his car. A moment later he's talking to the truck driver again. Several minutes pass. The truck drives off. The officer returns and says, "Well, how do I put this? She's very cut and dry. She thought something happened and took it upon herself to take action. She wanted to press charges. I explained that you have just as much right and are likely to also press charges. She calmed down." What he said next made me laugh. "The only thing that's worse, is when they are further north." He returned my license, shook my hand, and said goodbye.

And the one time I didn't have the dashcam in the car!!! This is why I bought one, for all the dumb shit I witness on a daily basis.

Another neat little event on the commute home this afternoon. Fridays are always nasty on I43 NB due to all the people heading up north for the weekend. There are several areas that are down to one lane for bridge overlays, I drive this everyday and I know what lane to be in but you always get the jackasses who will try to ride the lane all the way to the arrow boards and then cut in. Its horrible on Fridays will all the big city people (Milwaukee and Chicago) going up north. I knew the closure was coming up so I politely passed two semi trucks and remained in the left lane as the right lane is closed ahead. As it became clear what lane to get in people began to cut in and the whole song and dance started as we crept along at 10 mph. 5 cars were able to slip past what I would consider the polite area to merge in.

Well these two semi trucks decided to put an end to that, they drove side by side just offset slightly for over a mile as we approached the arrow boards, not letting anyone pass. Then at the lane closure the driver of the heavy haul Mack let the green Freightliner slip in front of him blocking out several cars trying to see if they could slip past. Once I realized what they were up to I let off the traffic in front of me, knowing I wouldn't have to block anyone out and enjoyed the 2 lanes to myself. I weaved around and changed lanes multiple times to show my approval to what the semis were doing.

I snagged a picture of their antics.

IMG_20160715_162307610_zpsuyazmejq.jpg

I had time to waste and just happened to be driving past the local Ford dealer so I stopped in since it was Sunday and could browse without being bothered.

Of the many great vehicles, one really caught my eye. It was hard to get any picture since they stack them on top of each other with barley enough room to walk between. 

Was a 2016 Lariat Sport, Crew Cab, 6.5' box, 4x4, 3.5L EB, extended range fuel tank, bright red with black leather interior, full tech package, and led lighting.  Some of the finishing touches on these trucks are amazing, such as "Ford" script in the LED mirror spot light. 

Price at $53k, I won't be running out to buy that very soon. 

Fun fact, I noticed even the XL F150s have active grill shutters.

IMG_20160717_165426589_HDR_zpsdtgwavkz.j

Sad fact: Pickup trucks have become way too expensive... I seem to remember a day when a Taurus and pickup were priced about the same. According to some old websites, an old Ford F-150 sold new for between $13-22k (adjusting for inflation, that's about 20k-35k, a 1995 Taurus sold for $17-25k...) Yet new pickup trucks are ridiculously overpriced. Sad when I can buy a luxury car for more. Trucks should go back to being work vehicles, not playgrounds on wheels. I seem to remember a King of the Hill of Hank predicting this... "HANK: Look at your average pickup truck. With airbags and vanity mirrors, it's one focus group away from turning into a powder room"

I'd much rather have a truck, despite the shitty fuel economy they still possess, but I think I'll be forced into the SUV/Crossover market as even those are cheaper...

• Like 1

In 1990, an LTD Crown Victoria had a base MSRP around $17,200. An F-150 XLT Lariat extended cab 4x2 with the same powertrain sold for about $16,000. The XLT Lariat was usually equipped with the features you'd find on the typical midsize or large sedan of the time - power locks/windows, cloth seats, AM/FM/cassette, etc.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

Sad fact: Pickup trucks have become way too expensive... I seem to remember a day when a Taurus and pickup were priced about the same. According to some old websites, an old Ford F-150 sold new for between $13-22k (adjusting for inflation, that's about 20k-35k, a 1995 Taurus sold for $17-25k...) Yet new pickup trucks are ridiculously overpriced. Sad when I can buy a luxury car for more. Trucks should go back to being work vehicles, not playgrounds on wheels. I seem to remember a King of the Hill of Hank predicting this... "HANK: Look at your average pickup truck. With airbags and vanity mirrors, it's one focus group away from turning into a powder room"

I'd much rather have a truck, despite the shitty fuel economy they still possess, but I think I'll be forced into the SUV/Crossover market as even those are cheaper...

A new F150 XL starts at $26k, well within that inflation-adjusted range for a cheap truck. The difference is that many customers actually want their new trucks to be more well equipped than just a vinyl floor, full width bench seat, crank windows, etc. 

• Like 1

Yes, but if I want a cloth carpet, and basic amenities like a rear seat. Such as the F-150 XL SuperCab, I am at $30k, with the basic 3.5L V6, 4x2, and Group 100A does not even include power door locks apparently. So to have modern features such as power windows and power door locks, I also must also get shit like Sync, BoxLink, Productivity Screen in cluster, flip key and transmitter, etc etc at a price tag of $2,255. Not including a bedliner, which according to GM... I can poke holes through the bed with a tool box easily. (I'd love to test that myself tbh... Lol) So as basic as I can build it comes out to $31k. It's not bad, but... I can't help but think the older trucks on the high side would have included 4WD and had power lumbar adjustments whereas this truck does not.

I just wish trucks weren't so damned expensive anymore. The time you throw in any goodies like a V8, 4WD, and standard carpet (Which requires additional addons...) it's at $38k. So I can buy a truck with inflation with some nice things. Obviously upcharge for demand, but it is crazy how trucks can get over $50k when you can buy an actual luxury brand for about the same price. Granted, now I am not sure how Fords are selling with XL models. So there might be some haggle room, or maybe not. And at the moment there apparently is some $3,500 cash back with current incentives. So that helps a bit...

Don't get me wrong, I just think some of the basic features should be a bit lower in price, and included. Every truck manufacturer is guilty of it as well, I have checked GM and RAM/Whatever they're calling them these days. I'd probably if I were to get a truck would just stick with an older Ranger in good shape. Rangers go forever and cheap to maintain.

Have you guys seen how much a mid sized SUV that is similarly equipped costs, easily $50,000. At least with the pickup you can do just about anything, and you get a real 4x4 system, not some electronic AWD that will break. If you want a well equipped vehicle that isn't a compact or midsize car its going to cost you at least $30,000.  Even high trim family sedans get up to $40,000.

Ford trucks are always a bit more expensive, you will never see Ford selling F150s for $10,000 off like GM and Ram does constantly with their trucks.  They build a quality product that the customer buys as clearly evident by its sales record of almost 40 years.

I'd never buy a truck that highly optioned new (well maybe but I don't make that much money). I'm perfectly happy with a lightly used one with 20,000 or less miles, which is typically $10,000 to $15,000 cheaper.

As just being a work truck, look at a F250 XL, it starts at $32,000, that's with no 4x4 or anything else but white paint and a bench seat. This is just how much these things cost today.

Yep. And I wouldn't get a new loaded SUV either. To be honest, I'd buy em second hand anyway. And I am open to GM or Ford Trucks as they're both dependable really. As long as they're taken care of and maintained, they'll both last a long while. I'll let some other person eat the depreciation on a truck :)

My host OS is now on Windows 10! Not sure how I feel about it... But what a nightmare it was.

I decided to get new hard drives, I only trust hard drives for 3 - 5 years, and my HDD was in that range, so I bought an SSD for my host operating system. (I have 4 HDD's installed in my tower of power) And so I removed the oldest drive which was what was holding Windows 7, and it was from 2008 and had very little downtime. So I am going to assume the lifespan is pretty low on it. I love my Western Digital drives. But Western Digital doesn't make an SSD, so I went with Intel due to 5 year warranty and it was normally $179 and I got it for $119 at Micro Center. I install the hard drive, clean out what little dust was in my PC thanks to my filtration system, plug it back in, boot it up, and within minutes my system overheat alarm goes off. Go back into my BIOS config, my CPU is running at 92°C. Now my i7 has a water cooling system. Well... My water cooler sprang a leak, and when I had the system sideways, the radiator fluid leaked out, thankfully not on my board or any components. That thing is pretty old too. I guess I won't do water cooling again. It did make my PC quieter, but what is a computer if it doesn't sound like a jet engine.

So now I have the stock CPU cooler in for my i7, I didn't realize how small it was compared to the Core 2 Duo cooler. I am going to try and warranty out my Corsair water cooler, I've had bad luck with Corsair... Makes me want to swap my power supply out now... If that malfunctions that can fry my system.

But even though I have Windows 10 as my main system, I still have my VMware and Windows XP machine still going from when I last installed XP. I love virtualization. If my PC ever seems fishy, I can restore the image within minutes and be back to a better state. The host OS is to be minimal and just run games and VMware Workstation.

Just dropped in for a visit after a long time. The site looks a bit different:) The bull is doing well down in North Carolina, and the rest of the fleet has been fairly maintenance free(knock on wood). I think it's time to fix the rust at the front of the drivers side rocker panel on the Jeep. Maybe I'll get to it this fall. The family is doing well, my daughter is almost walking, and saying lots of things, but not yet in English...

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

In case anyone was ever wondering what the inside of a traffic signal controller cabinet looks like.

The 4 smaller black boxes are for the 4 cameras controlling the intersection, the smaller silver modules are the controllers for the actual signal heads.

If you look at the little TV monitor you can see my work truck is showing on the far right side of the screen.

IMG_20160812_170325958_zpscaaltx3k.jpg

• Like 1