The Official Dang Near Anything Thread

Don't hear of too many Ford cars ever catching fire, a lot more common on the GM 3.8L powered cars though. Ford had bigger problems with the SUVs and trucks catching fire with the bad ABS module or wiring. I remember the 2002 Explorer had a big blue sticker on a wire harness stating that the recall had been performed.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting a new business with an old friend. He currently owns and operates a small auto repair shop in south Austin. His current location is too small to meet demand so he has been wanting to expand.

Finally looking at a job "upgrade", at least for me. Got a conditional job offer from O'Reilly Auto Parts making considerably more than what I do now at Zaxby's with the added potential of being able

Its a rental car, remember it gets the piss beat out of it... Don't be gentle its a rental.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brian_05_SEL said:

Tell me you didn't trade that car in with the tune still in effect. 

54 minutes ago, Josh_GL_Limited said:

If he did someone's about to get an amazing deal on a rocketship

Hell yeah I left it on. I gave the used car appraiser the shock of his life when I went for a ride with him and told him to brake-boost launch it

• Like 3

Working on a large urban construction project this spring/summer really has confirmed to me how stupid, careless, or disrespectful most drivers are.  Its actually pretty saddening.

Today we executed a major traffic pattern change from 2 divided lanes with a median and turn lanes to bidirectional traffic on 1 lane each direction with limited turn lanes, divided by tubular delineators.  Left and right turns are limited at the largest intersection in the project due to traffic being condensed into a single lane from 3 of the 4 directions.

We placed over a dozen of the following sign and people could care less, they are flying all over. I was very surprised I didn't witness a single accident today, a lot of pretty close calls though.

No_Left_Turn_Symbol_R3-2.jpg

No left turn, pretty basic.

People also struggle with flashing red stop lights...I watched multiple cars just blow right though flashing red as we use this as a safety feature when adjusting temporary signals or traffic control. Hard to say if people are just stupid or not paying attention. Which brings me to my next point of texting and driving...this is seriously an epidemic in the US.  It is scary as hell to see how many people have their face in their phones when navigating through a busy construction zone.  I have to walk across live lanes of traffic pretty often to get around and its a good rule to always make eye contact with the driver before crossing...its hard to do that when they are looking down at their phone. If their window is open I've yelled at several people to put their phone down. 

Just follow the signs and pay attention in live construction zones, it will make the people working there like me a lot happier.  That ends my little rant. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, SHOenough said:

If enough people get nicked for it, eventually the rest might start to get the idea. Of course it won't fix some of the hardheaded people who think "They can pass me on the right, this is my lane, how dare they try to go faster than me!"

I find it awful when there is a driver barely going 1 MPH faster than the vehicle they're passing and traffic is building on them. I have no problem accelerating a bit more while passing on the interstate if it is obvious traffic is approaching even faster than I'm going. I'm going to do my best to avoid causing a slow down for anyone. Once I've finished passing, I get right back over to the right lane.

• Like 4

For a while the driver of the Sequoia was in the right staying in the left lane since there was a disabled vehicle on the right shoulder, they should have went back to the right lane after they passed that disabled car.  One problem I see a lot with people who are passing in the left is that they feel so pressured to get back to the right lane when someone is coming up behind them that they cut off the car they are passing, sometimes less than a car length. At 70mph you should leave at least 3-4 car lengths before moving back to the right lane, even more if the vehicle being passed is a semi.   I see people move back to the right lane in front of a semi so close that I know for a fact the semi driver can't see them over their hood.  On older style trucks like the Peterbilt 389 your talking at least 1 full sized car length (20') that they cannot see in front of them.

That thing seems to have all the options except EATC - That is weird lol

On 5/3/2016 at 1:48 PM, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Got hung up on going through old AutoWeek videos and found this one:

"Misses: Flat seats, body roll".

It's a Panther, are those supposed to be bad things...? :P 

Plugging the Volt in at home, and at work has been greatly cutting down on my fuel costs.

I took this picture on the way home last week. And to answer your next question, yes I do drive ~114 miles/day to and from work.

IMG_20160502_1918112.jpg

• Like 3

My new job deals with rental fleet vehicles at Seatac Airport, today I saw 30+ 6th gen Limiteds. All base option pkg, 19" wheels, no sunroof. 

On top of that, one of my coworkers was doing front struts and brakes on a 2015 Impala Limited LT with 16,000 Miles. LOL @ the GM Kwality.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Josh_GL_Limited said:

My new job deals with rental fleet vehicles at Seatac Airport, today I saw 30+ 6th gen Limiteds. All base option pkg, 19" wheels, no sunroof. 

On top of that, one of my coworkers was doing front struts and brakes on a 2015 Impala Limited LT with 16,000 Miles. LOL @ the GM Kwality.

Its a rental car, remember it gets the piss beat out of it... Don't be gentle its a rental.

• Like 5

I do not think I was ever gentle to my rentals...

You know... For Science...

But at least not as violent as some of the folk on the Youtube Machine! Youtube is full of them!

Brian will have to enjoy that one. :P

And Taurus Related:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, REDTRUCKCHASER said:

Has anyone heard from Chart lately ? It's been a long time since I've seen anything from him. 

He's doing alot of talking over on TCCA

RWD rentals get beat the most, I'd imagine Mustangs and Camaros in rental life have a average tire life of ~10,000 miles or less.

I remember when we bought the 2002...the dealership we purchased it from also rented out a fleet of mostly Pontiac G6s (It was a Chevy/Pontiac/GMC dealer) all with the 3.9L, the salesman said he's never seen cars go though tires so fast.  This topic came up because we were not satisfied with the crappy tires that were on the Taurus, we made a little noise and they tossed on a newer lightly used set of tires.

Speaking of rentals, my mom travels quite a bit for business and she benefits from Nationals Emerald club, she is pretty good about always taking a different type of car but I told her she needs to diversify more. She can pick anything except luxury cars.  Her rental this last week was a Ram 1500 Double Cab 4x4, no emblems but it was a 5.7L. It was there so she took it, plus she was going to visit my sister and move some of her stuff from her dorm into storage so the pickup was perfect. 

IMG_1928_zpsngc1mddn.jpg

Today I infleeted about 46 brand new cars. 15 or so of them were Malibus, awful exterior styling but not bad on the inside, it's surprisingly comfortable. Lightyears better than the Altimas I was infleeting, which felt way smaller than they look (Gen 6 Taurus syndrome). The black MKS I played with was pretty nice, the cooled seats were a blessing today, 80* and sunny.

8 hours ago, Thub said:

RWD rentals get beat the most, I'd imagine Mustangs and Camaros in rental life have a average tire life of ~10,000 miles or less.

I remember when we bought the 2002...the dealership we purchased it from also rented out a fleet of mostly Pontiac G6s (It was a Chevy/Pontiac/GMC dealer) all with the 3.9L, the salesman said he's never seen cars go though tires so fast.  This topic came up because we were not satisfied with the crappy tires that were on the Taurus, we made a little noise and they tossed on a newer lightly used set of tires.

Speaking of rentals, my mom travels quite a bit for business and she benefits from Nationals Emerald club, she is pretty good about always taking a different type of car but I told her she needs to diversify more. She can pick anything except luxury cars.  Her rental this last week was a Ram 1500 Double Cab 4x4, no emblems but it was a 5.7L. It was there so she took it, plus she was going to visit my sister and move some of her stuff from her dorm into storage so the pickup was perfect. 

IMG_1928_zpsngc1mddn.jpg

I'm so torn on the Ram's. The 5.7 is just about indestructible, but I've never met anyone who drives one that I would want to actually spend time with.

I toy with the idea of a truck for a second car sometimes. I'd get an F150, Super Crew, 4x4, 3.5ECO, 3.55 locking, 6.5ft bed with the Sony audio and Nav

• Like 1