Rusty

The Official Dang Near Anything Thread

I've seen $1.35 for regular. $1.39 is the average in my town. Diesel for $1.75. It's nice to fill the dirty diesel VeeDub for under $30 and get 600 miles to a tank.

Wow, only 10 cents cheaper in Texas, we are doing pretty good up here then.

Sent from my XT1250 using Tapatalk

It still costs me a little over $40 to fill up, but now it's two tanks.

It still costs me a little over $40 to fill up, but now it's two tanks.

Coolest feature on those trucks by far.  I'm almost out of gas...oh wait I can switch to my other tank.

• Like 1

Paid $1.73/gallon for 89 Octane in the wagon the other day. :)

New shop is coming along. New mechanic starts Monday. I can't even begin to imagine how much money I've saved myself and others over the years by doing my own wrenching. Comparing list prices on parts to retail / wholesale and then add labor rates... wow. It's a little hard to even write up an estimate for what I would consider a simple job. For example, a coworkers 2012 Checy Malibu. Needs a VVT solenoid (common issue). By the book, list price part and 1.4 hours of job time comes to $195. Diagnostics not included. It's literally a 10 minute job. I bought the part for $28 from Rock Auto. Lists for $55. I did the job for $100 "off the books" and still feel like I charged her too much. I can't give everyone the friend and family discount though!

• Like 2

Bit of snow here overnight, couple inches dry stuff. Out the Am leaf blower to clear the cars, snow blower was a bit cranky to fire. Glad I used the electric start. Smoked a bit on startup. Temp -6 wind chill -20, -30. Cleared the drive. Usually the blower has a trail of snow to the side of the drive. Today like fog blowing out and it did not hit the ground. Wind just blew it away. Maybe needing to go to the post office but waiting on a text to be sure. Wagon started at -15 with no sign of issues last year. Added the Lin bat cables since and they for sure make the crank more brisk.

Inside and warmed up now. :notworthy:

-chart-

Gotta love this: :pat:

Best it's been all day.

-chart-

So today at work while going though equipment and vehicle inventory it was brought back to my attention that my assigned work truck (2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee) has a recall issued for involuntary deployment of the airbags.  So I had our secretary setup an appointment with the local "Chrysler Group" dealer.  I guess they just have to replace the air bag control module. 

Anyway I guess during the call the dealer asked if the truck is equipped with a trailer hitch, since our secretary called me back and asked me if it had a hitch...it has no hitch so I told her no. I asked her later what they wanted to know about the hitch and she said they told her there is a service campaign...not a full recall to inspect 1999-2004 Jeep Cherokees with trailer hitches.  So interested as I was I looked it up for myself, and sure enough Chrysler is inspecting 99-04 Grand Cherokees with "aftermarket" trailer hitches to look for shape edges that may puncture the fuel tank during a rear end collision.  I found it kinda amusing, Chrysler knows that their fuel tank design is faulty and wants to make sure they do as much as possible without admitting it straight out.  The fact that those all those 4.0L I6 jeeps run forever is really hurting Chrysler, I bet they wish most of those Jeeps were all left to rot and crushed but the truth is this problem is going to haunt them for another decade at least.

I like Jeeps and I won't hold ill will toward them but when I drive that thing I can't help but think in the back of my head that if a lower car rear ends me in the right way, up to 22 gallons of gas is going to spill out and ignite.  The placement of the fuel tank behind the rear axle just takes too many unnecessary risks. Like a dumb younger sibling Chrysler didn't learn from Fords mistake in the 70's.

Here it is from NHTSA website.

For 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees, Chrysler has indicated that it will conduct a customer satisfaction campaign. Chrysler will contact owners and offer to inspect vehicles in this group if equipped with an aftermarket tow hitch, and if necessary, replace free of charge any hitches that show evidence of sharp edges or other puncture risks from the tow hitch or mounting hardware. If an aftermarket trailer hitch is not installed, no further action is required. Affected owners who are not sure whether their vehicle

Pic of our latest "Overcast" as reported by the airport, 2 miles as the crow flies. Got the windshield cover on too late. I should know better than believe the weather report.

On a personal note, got cortisone shots both knees and right shoulder today, so my 3 month maintenance is done. Wife got one shoulder shot and replacement knees X-Rayed and they are in good shape, 17 years and counting.

Yesterday we had snow, ice, rain, snow in that order. 1.2" precip so if that had all been snow 12-14". As is, my Lin car doors frozen shut. Got one open and put my hair dryer in for an hour and all is warm.

Grandson left this afternoon with band group from school going to FL. They got about 200 miles and one of the 4 tour busses lost alternator. Now those divided between the 3 working bussed. I am sure Autozone can fix that right up. :nuclear:

Kids must be cozy tonight.

-chart-

-chart-

• Like 1

Oil Filter sizes.

-chart-

post-1834-0-86534400-1455914125_thumb.jp

• Like 1

OK, this weather prediction precision has gone too far. 5 days out and they say this: :pat:

-chart-

I shared this with Brian but I think the John Deere/Packer colored plates are one of the coolest styles of license plates. All embossed old school text.  And the extreme contrast on the smurf blue Miata.  The plates are issued in numerical order so this is theoretically the 17,644th owner in Wisconsin to be issues Hobbyist plates.

IMG_20160220_195945974_zpsthidbyrp.jpg

• Like 2

Any thing is possible:

With a tail wind. :notworthy:

20 gusts to 40.

-chart-

post-1834-0-99845600-1456497067_thumb.jp

I shared this with Brian but I think the John Deere/Packer colored plates are one of the coolest styles of license plates. All embossed old school text.  And the extreme contrast on the smurf blue Miata.  The plates are issued in numerical order so this is theoretically the 17,644th owner in Wisconsin to be issues Hobbyist plates.

IMG_20160220_195945974_zpsthidbyrp.jpg

The lovely NA-Series Mazda MX-5 Miata... painting using the processed corpses of actual Smurfs. :P 

• Like 1

Sometimes your truck is just not big enough.

-chart-

• Like 1

I need an amazing scan tool.... With the project I have coming up, a great scantool would be beneficial, and for the Mits and newer cars, a universal one is nice too.

Thinking of investing in one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-Maxidiag-Transmission-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B00QVA61JW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Currently I have a Matco MD9000A which only goes up to 2005/Universal OBD-II, and very limited test features. I want one that can do all the computers and upgradable in the future and work with other car modules.

I can't find a nice bluetooth one because seems support is very limited on many bluetooth ones.

Well... Hello Everyone.

I was going through my bookmarks, and saw that somehow over the years, I still had the bookmark here, and with a little brain-smacking, I remembered the credentials to log in. 

It is nice to see that this place is still going, I see a lot of familiar faces, some new.   :ohnoes:  :icon_razz:   :icon_horns2:

Looking for the thread pitch on these bolts circled in blue here:

post-2386-0-36394500-1457038837_thumb.jp

Early rise today ~4am. Took the wife and another lady to the airport, 5:40 flight, and they want you there, one hour early but the doors do not open till 40 minutes till. OK they got on in time, wife had a delay in security, too much metal in the joints. Now on Sanibel Island off FL. I am " HOME ALONE". :notworthy:

I spent much of today on a road trip, 199 miles, in the wagon. Surplus City, Harbor Freight, Shoe store for my favorite shoes. Pics of my mpg first South, other North same road. Display shows avg speed lower left, total miles lower right. Mountains of PA, interstate class.

-chart-

post-1834-0-03429600-1457038735_thumb.jp

post-1834-0-51676900-1457038735_thumb.jp

I've got the Ultragage as well.

I love that little thing!

I bought the MX? version so I could program it for trans temp. 

post-4065-0-55170600-1457100392_thumb.jp

post-4065-0-95421600-1457100398_thumb.jp

I've got the Ultragage as well.

I love that little thing!

I bought the MX? version so I could program it for trans temp. 

It has it's problems. For mine the directions were horrible, some did not apply to my unit, and my one had more pages than the dirctions. I redid the directions, leaving out things that do not apply to my car and made them to where I could program mine.

Other thing, it would not work on the '01. My 'carchip' worked fine on the "'01 but not the Ulatragage" Of course the '01 does not have the data in the car for mpg, gas level, fuel pressure and those things. Carchip gives me history, and data to do things like the chart in the pic. I do my own charts in XL but get the data from Carclhip. Of course I can only do one thing plugged in at a time.

-chart-

post-1834-0-12305800-1457106444_thumb.jp

Lin Cont '02 95K for sale by Lin Dealer, $3900. Late one. Mine 4-02 and I thought it was late. Last one 7-02.

Just checking around in case something happens to mine.

And then there are others low miles.

-chart-

post-1834-0-49228900-1457138287_thumb.jp

post-1834-0-24884200-1457138835_thumb.jp

Edited by -chart-

I am officially on vacation. :HappyDance1: First time I've taken a full week off in over 3 years. Off to Denver and Colorado Springs for the week. And I don't have to do any driving. Friend is doing the airport shuttle service for me, and brother in law is doing all the driving in CO.  Will come back and work 4 days and then head to Nick's. 

• Like 2

I am officially on vacation. :HappyDance1: First time I've taken a full week off in over 3 years. Off to Denver and Colorado Springs for the week. And I don't have to do any driving. Friend is doing the airport shuttle service for me, and brother in law is doing all the driving in CO.  Will come back and work 4 days and then head to Nick's. 

Congrats and wishing you safe travel.

I am home alone for a few days and enjoying it. Wife and another lady went to Sanibel Island FL for a week. Thurs I took them to the airport at 5am. They were in Ft Myers by 11am. Visiting another lady down there, they do counted cross stitch and gather sea shells. Not my thing. Not been on a commercial plane in 16 years and have no interest. Served my time, traveled in my work, ~40 weeks a year for 18 years on the road.

Day trip yesterday 199 miles, and was seeing if I could survive driving due to knee pain and back pain. Chance I could do the get together later this month. Doubtful.

-chart-

• Like 1