The Official Dang Near Anything Thread

Just switched my car insurance to GEICO and saved 67.00/month over my Nationwide Policy.  That's a savings of around 400.00/6months vs what I'm paying now.  Policy limits are identical to my Nationwide Policy.  I sure hope it's not a gimmick.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 2
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting a new business with an old friend. He currently owns and operates a small auto repair shop in south Austin. His current location is too small to meet demand so he has been wanting to expand.

Finally looking at a job "upgrade", at least for me. Got a conditional job offer from O'Reilly Auto Parts making considerably more than what I do now at Zaxby's with the added potential of being able

Its a rental car, remember it gets the piss beat out of it... Don't be gentle its a rental.

Posted Images

Third Bull apparently knows that it's going into the shop on Friday for a routine oil change. It decided to start making a chattering noise when I accelerate. 

I can already here my mechanic going Kaching ! Kaching ! Kaching ! :rant2:

Bob Gervais was a good guy. I remember him as president and big supporter of the TCCA when I joined in August 04.

May he rest in peace.

Edited by durasel
  • Like 1

Starting a new business with an old friend. He currently owns and operates a small auto repair shop in south Austin. His current location is too small to meet demand so he has been wanting to expand. He couldn't think of anyone better to help, and it's something we have discussed for years, so he asked me to take control of the new location. He signed the lease on a 7500 sq ft building last week. We purchased 5 lifts from another shop which is closing. He has already started building out the office and lobby. We will have about 6000 sq ft of work space.

This is a major leap for me. I'm leaving a career of almost 20 years in healthcare, where I have developed an excellent reputation, vast experience, and maintain several licenses and certifications. However, I have worked myself into a corner where I can't make more income unless I go into management with a big healthcare system. I have absolutely no desire to deal with the bureaucracy of big hospitals. The American healthcare system is a giant, broken s**t hole right now.

I have zero experience managing an auto shop, but my buddy has a lot of faith in me or he wouldn't have asked for my help. He doesn't believe he could take this step at this time without me. His father gave me my first legit job at 17, sweeping bays and changing oil in his shop. This is a major leap for my friend as well. He's funding everything, chips all in. So we both have serious reasons for making this succeed.

The new job will match my current salary until we begin making a profit. I will continue to work 1 day a week at the ER to supplement my income. Assuming we succeed, there is no limit to my salary, unlike healthcare. Our goal is a 3rd location in a couple years. We plan on opening our doors for business February 1. I gotta admit, I'm a little scared.

• Like 7

Good luck Luke!! Awesome news. Scary but worthwhile. I went from working for a multinational 90k employee to a 45 employee small business start up. Best move I could have made.

• Like 1

So I was tasked with changing a tire on a trailer at work today, probably my worst tire changing experience thus far. For reference this was on a ~6x10 enclosed cargo trailer.

So pretty simple job right...finding tools was the first struggle, (I'm usually pretty good about keeping tools in the car but what I did have with wouldn't have worked)  after screwing around with a 3/8" ratchet and 2' steel R/W pipe (3/8" ratchet broke) I finally found a lug wrench out of a truck that fit. While jacking up the trailer the floor jack broke and was rendered useless, luckily it was already jacked high enough up. The threads were pretty rusty as was the rim so I had to remove the lugs all the way with the lug wrench. (BTW the factory lug wrench out of a 2007 Silverado sucks) Tossed on a tire that was damaged, just so I could set the trailer back down.  Took the flat tire to the shop and went about the usually work day.  Picked the tire back up at 4:30 on the way back to the office. So now with no good tools or jack I set out to finish the job, luckily my boss was still at the office and offered up his tools (which included a real breaker bar) and bottle jack from his F150.  Getting the repaired tire back on went easier but it was in a dark and snowy parking lot.  Combined labor time on that 1 tire change was probably over an hour, it should have only taken 15 minutes.

It was kind of a wake up call that I am not carrying enough tools with me and not to trust that we have any decent tools at the office.

So I was tasked with changing a tire on a trailer at work today, probably my worst tire changing experience thus far. For reference this was on a ~6x10 enclosed cargo trailer.

So pretty simple job right...finding tools was the first struggle, (I'm usually pretty good about keeping tools in the car but what I did have with wouldn't have worked)  after screwing around with a 3/8" ratchet and 2' steel R/W pipe (3/8" ratchet broke) I finally found a lug wrench out of a truck that fit. While jacking up the trailer the floor jack broke and was rendered useless, luckily it was already jacked high enough up. The threads were pretty rusty as was the rim so I had to remove the lugs all the way with the lug wrench. (BTW the factory lug wrench out of a 2007 Silverado sucks) Tossed on a tire that was damaged, just so I could set the trailer back down.  Took the flat tire to the shop and went about the usually work day.  Picked the tire back up at 4:30 on the way back to the office. So now with no good tools or jack I set out to finish the job, luckily my boss was still at the office and offered up his tools (which included a real breaker bar) and bottle jack from his F150.  Getting the repaired tire back on went easier but it was in a dark and snowy parking lot.  Combined labor time on that 1 tire change was probably over an hour, it should have only taken 15 minutes.

It was kind of a wake up call that I am not carrying enough tools with me and not to trust that we have any decent tools at the office.

Pic of my jack, used in my driveway and travels when I go to pick up a used car.

Had this combo long time, it works well. Board is a door off very old kitchen cabs.

Congrats on your creative fixin.

-chart-

post-1834-0-52660600-1452093633_thumb.jp

• Like 3

I had a nightmare last night, I had a dream that I bought a brand new Corolla, I felt like my soul had left. And I remember being super disappointed in everything in the car.

• Like 1

I had a nightmare last night, I had a dream that I bought a brand new Corolla, I felt like my soul had left. And I remember being super disappointed in everything in the car.

That wasn't a dream. It actually happened to you a few years ago... except it was a rental Yaris. 

Wife's friend has 4 year old Corolla. I have driven it a few times. I used to take the wife to meet this lady and they drove my Lin and I drove the Corolla home.

I would much prefer anything in my drive on my nickel to her's on her nickel. Electric steering is one click to the right, then one click to the left on stright road. Click felt not heard as the stepping motor has too large steps. Speedo 150 mph. No label on the shift, it flips left and right in the middle, one is G3 other G4 and there is some readout for G3 but not G4. Climate controls? tiny wavey lines, means nothing. Hard to reach. I can figure the blower and temp. Steering is heavy and lifeless. No tend to center after a turn. Aside from that, this lady complains, hard to see out, hard to set the mirrors as nearly impossible. She hates her car. She has short arms and can't reach the climate controls without a hard lean.

Cruise no labels. Just a flipper with 3 arrows. I did the trial and error. No visible label on the off on. If the cruise does not engage, push the end button again and try again.

Makes me appreciate my G-4 and Lin Cont.

-chart-

• Like 1

Third Bull apparently knows that it's going into the shop on Friday for a routine oil change. It decided to start making a chattering noise when I accelerate. 

I can already here my mechanic going Kaching ! Kaching ! Kaching ! :rant2:

Glad to report that an oil changed cured Third Bull of the chatter. Mechanic heard it before the change, but not after. We took it out on a back road and revved it up and still no more chattering. Whew... 

The worst possible vehicle to be caught behind.  And yes I am driving a GM product.

Liquid rust catalyst.

IMG_20160107_131715991_HDR_zpscvjdsbqw.j

• Like 1

The worst possible vehicle to be caught behind.  And yes I am driving a GM product.

Liquid rust catalyst.

IMG_20160107_131715991_HDR_zpscvjdsbqw.j

I knew it was a GM from the windshield wipers, ggrrrr! (Just kidding of course)

I knew it was a GM from the windshield wipers, ggrrrr! (Just kidding of course)

GM, well then you need to be in the other lane and 100 feet behind. :nuclear:

-chart-

Used the snow blower this am, bit cold out and quite windy but all is OK. School 2 hr delay for ~3" or snow. Winter is finally here in the North Country.

-chart-

Barely out of bed for the last three weeks. Finally feel well enough to sit upright. Stupid autoimmune conditions.

Sorry you do not feel well. Speedy recovery.

-chart-

Sorry you do not feel well. Speedy recovery.

-chart-

Thanks chart.

Its difficult to explain to people, but its not a recovery so much as treating symptoms. Quite frankly, its a big bag of suck.

• 2 weeks later...

Insurance companies suck.

So my Oldsmobile has been totaled for over 3 weeks now, and the insurance company is rushing me to remove all my personal belongings so the Olds can be towed over to a "storage yard" so they don't have to keep paying storage fees at the body shop I have it at.

However, they have yet to come up with a figure that is acceptable to me. They offered me $1700 for my Olds, which for a 98 - had minimal rust for a GMT300 compared to others, in fact when I bought mine, Brian had a similar year Chevy Blazer that was a total rust bucket, and from what I understand, when they went to wholesale/junk it, the suspension snapped while loading on a flat bed. So clearly mine was maintained during the life.

When I inquired, they informed me the value was based on private party sales, and dealers mark up prices on purpose, and they won't honor that. First off, if I choose to shop at a dealership, because it has a better chance of not being a stolen vehicle or the person on the other end isn't a crazy person who is going to rob me and leave me for dead (Both have happened, probably won't happen on an Oldsmobile, however the insurance company doesn't need to know that) and I won't get a Carfax when I buy private most likely.

With my Olds in the condition it was in once I was finished with it, every single damn thing worked in that truck. When I bought it? Had quite a bit of issues, hence I was able to purchase it cheaper.

So anyway, these weasels want to take my Oldsmobile away before giving me an acceptable number. Thankfully I was able to save my receipts for all the work I have had done to the truck, so I emailed that off and yet I still have not heard back from their company about a better value. But they're constantly calling the body shop I have it at, "Did Kevin release the vehicle so we can take it?" And thankfully she is on my side and won't release it (Same place I took my T-Bird for her restoration)

So hopefully they see the amount of work I have had done to that vehicle and adjust the cost of that truck.

The other messed up part was never once was I offered a rental or reimbursement. I have been driving my S/C this whole time which has inconvenienced me, then my injuries, I still can barely use my left hand to pick stuff up from how badly the force of the other vehicle crashing into my wheel when I was trying to turn away from the accident has caused me.

Oh and the other driver already admitted fault and even admitted that she had no idea what happened, so should have been an open and shut case. I might call my insurance company - see what they'd value my truck at and see if they can step in.

Tell her insurance to politely fudge off. YOU were inconvenienced by their insured. Your goal is to be put back in the state you were in 5 seconds before the crash...physical damage to your car, personal injury...etc.

What they told you is horsesh**.

Tell them - here's the invoice for the Bravada from the dealer when you bought it. You can't have that many additional miles...so..

Yea.

Does IL have any stupid insurance laws in place?

• Like 1

And when you're done with this - please file a complaint with the dept of insurance for the state of Illinois. They always love to hear about sheister insurance companies. Document EVERYTHING . Dates/times for phone calls, email correspondence, letters et all.

Trust me - it helps.

• Like 2

I did buy it from about the same price they are giving me, but that was with the truck having issues, I could have had the dealership address it, but it would have jacked the price up on the vehicle (I decided to buy cheap, repair it, then live it up)

Trans would kick from 1st to 2nd, front wiper didn't know how to stop/park, rear wiper was dead, thing was dirty as heck, the blend door actuator did not work right (Brian likes to sell used cars with broken blend door actuators as the Sable had a bad actuator too lol) but everything else was good.

After servicing the transmission with lots of fluid changing, that trans was smooth as a brand new transmission with new filter. I did repair the parking brake on it.

But the objective isn't to buy another work-needed truck. Objective is to find another vehicle with the documented repairs similar to what I did. Trans fluid needs to be done, tuneup, etc. And of course having a freshly new A/C system installed that was ice cold in the summer to where I would have to turn the heated seats on to compensate... That was something very nice.

Also most contacts have been going via email, and I hoard email ;)

• Like 2

I got a warning on the "other forum".

Some moron told me that I'm a "hater" and I told him that he should say that to his doctor too after the diagnostic...

Jag gave me 1 point. Meah, makes my decision what forum to follow so much easier.

Sign off, delete link from favorites, done.

• Like 1

I drove this pickup yesterday. Pic is the only time I ever drove it before, belongs to one guy, trailer to another, daughter's move, I was a one time only driver. No hookup adapter so no lights. Drove back roads and my daughter followed so some doofus would not tailgate and expect to see lights. Truck is old, beat up inside, 225K miles, 4wheel drive, 350 auto. Yesterday made 5 trips about one mile each way hauling brush. No trailer of course.  

It drives like a TRUCK. But: Hit the key and it fires off on the first cylinder, so quick it surprises me. What is unusual to me, tranny locks up cold, every gear. Shift is HARD, lockup is HARD. So it only unlocks for the shift, locksup near instantly. So it feels like a double shift.

ABS kicks in on every brake, but just buzzing the pedal.

One thing for sure, The GM 350 has loads of torque.

Glad it is not mine to maintain.

-chart-