The Official Dang Near Anything Thread

Heard from my cousin yesterday evening, the brakes in his '92 GL went out, he came close to rear ending a car but was able to stop it on a side street (using the parking brake) and park it in a "Park & Ride" parking lot. This + failing trans means it's probably the end of the line for the little car :(. If anything significant happens I'll update.

Edited by Josh_GL_Limited
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting a new business with an old friend. He currently owns and operates a small auto repair shop in south Austin. His current location is too small to meet demand so he has been wanting to expand.

Finally looking at a job "upgrade", at least for me. Got a conditional job offer from O'Reilly Auto Parts making considerably more than what I do now at Zaxby's with the added potential of being able

Its a rental car, remember it gets the piss beat out of it... Don't be gentle its a rental.

Posted Images

Yesterday project: Elect chain saw on a pole, cut this out of my hedge row, dragged it back here, today will run it through the chipper. That is if the wind settles. But, earlier yesterday, Lin to inspection, walked to McD for hot cakes and sausage, walked back, about 45 mins, car is done. Then shopping list at Wallyworld for the wife, and this in the PM. Shapened the chain saw and adjusted the chain.

And today I am 76. Wheeeee. Glad to be vertical and eating. :nopity:

-chart-

post-1834-0-98768900-1450193522_thumb.jp

Having our dog euthanized this morning once the vets office opens. 7 year old heeler / pointer became ill rather suddenly. Vet couldn't determine cause. Labs sent to Texas A&M came back negative. Other animals are just fine. But she's now in kidney failure and we won't let her suffer. I've been giving her IV fluids the last several days. She won't eat or drink and just getting weaker by the day. Possibly the best dog I've ever owned. Always wanting to please her humans and extremely loyal.

RIP Maggie

(I didn't have any better pics on my phone)

23680180912_5fb9a515c8_b.jpg

This time of year, lots of good prices at Sears and Lowes. This will be part of my Christmas from the wife.

I buy things for me, she wraps them and I get them at the exchange. She buys stuff at the girls party and gives the boxes to me, I wrap them and she gets them at the exchange.

This is what old folks do. :notworthy:

That way we get what we want.

And I thought this was a good buy.

I have one very old worn Wiss snip, getting dull.

-chart-

post-1834-0-86525600-1450310377_thumb.jp

• Like 2

At Walmart yesterday and had the wife's list to get. Asked the clerk in the isle where the Jello is.

She said, Isle 14, and if you go down this isle and turn right, it will be half way down on your right.

Yep, just as said.

She is way too good for Autozone. They do not know where the help section is, or what is there.

Maybe too good for wallywold.

-chart-

Edited by -chart-

AutoZone sucks. I would only go there to drop off used motor oil and that is it.

• Like 1

Retail America is being run by people who don't understand the concept of customer service. I had a clerk stop my checking out to take a personal cell call. I walked over to the customer service center and got the manager. We went back to the check out line and she was still on the phone !  I left everything behind and won't go to that store again. 

At the grocery store one Thanksgiving, an elderly man had been sent on a mission to find condensed milk. Clerk started to send him to the dairy case. I pointed out it's a canned product kept in baking goods. Gentleman was very happy to get the right thing. 

Now if the phone call was due to an emergency (Maybe someone going into labor or a horrible surgery) that should be one thing... But generally you can get the tone of this conversation within a second or two. But if it's...

Yeah I'd never return either.

Winter solstice (shortest day of the year). Depending on your age/generation, this is either the beginning of something good or the end.

For us geezers, the days are now getting longer, thus better. For them yung'uns, the nights are getting shorter (think about it).

This is also the season we celebrate many different religious festivals. And although we Christians like to celebrate the "birth" of Jesus, historically, that date is probably in September where there was a significant conjunction of planets, including Jupiter, back in 4 B.C. That there are so many festivals at the time of the winter solstice is no coincidence. People had reason to celebrate the days getting longer, the "rebirth" of the sun.

It is highly likely that the conversion of the Roman Emperor Constantine to Christianity allowed him to usurp the pagan festival of Saturnalia with the birth of Jesus, especially when early religious writers liked to link the time of the deaths of prophets with the date of their conception or birth.

Regardless of the histories, Best Wishes for the Season - Merry Christmas, Joyeux No

Edited by SHO-WGN
  • Like 1

When you are young, say in about grade six, time passed so slowly it hurt. I recall looking at the clock and it said 11:02 (and my stomach was starting to rumble). I got to work, did three pages of math homework, read a couple of poems and wrote out my spelling words. When I glanced at the clock, it said 11:05 - noon seemed like it would never come.

In high school, time was now measured in hours. Eleven, only an hour before lunch. At University, time was measured in classes, Chemistry 352, then lunch (yeah, food is never far from my mind.)

Once out at work and in my early twenties, time was measured in days. Monday already? In my thirties, time began to slip by a little quicker; now time was measured in weeks. Cheque

Update on my cousin's '92 Taurus. Apparently my dad was able to help him get the brakes back (I have no idea how) so he's been driving it, and my aunt drove it to work this morning, well the transmission shifted it's last shifts during her commute, no movement it was a little low, added fluid, still no movement. Pretty sure the trans is now 100% toast. RIP bull, next destination is likely the junkyard :(

My aunt and cousin now both have 2 completely dead Fords in their driveway, both have always been POSes... 

Sadly they are old. Hopefully they got their money's worth out of them. :(

• Like 1

The Christmas Eve forecast is calling for a high of 71.  Is this Florida ? California ? Arizona ? :sun:  

Nope, it's Central Pennsylvania, where I should be breaking in my new snow boots about now. 

Unbelievable December weather. I suspect the weather gods are going to hammer us in the spring.  :ohnoes:

The Christmas Eve forecast is calling for a high of 71.  Is this Florida ? California ? Arizona ? :sun:  

Nope, it's Central Pennsylvania, where I should be breaking in my new snow boots about now. 

Unbelievable December weather. I suspect the weather gods are going to hammer us in the spring.  :ohnoes:

Payback for last year. I hope.

-chart-

Sadly they are old. Hopefully they got their money's worth out of them. :(

Aunt's 2000 Windstar has always been a SH*TStar. Currently the cluster odometer and warning lights don't illuminate and it doesn't crank when you turn the key, leading me to believe the cluster is out AGAIN. She's had it 5 years and 39k miles. Spent over $7000 in repairs over that time.

My old Gen 2 now has over 200K on it, that's pretty damn good for an original AXODE, but the rest of the car has been generally unreliable since my parents bought it for me, and for him. I was repairing stuff every weekend and he just drove it with things broken. The neighbor that backed into the car (when he first bought it) got him a $1200 check so the entire car really it only owes him the cost of repairs over the last year and a half. 

Both are likely to go to the junkyard, they need new or relatively new foreign cars (yes I know that's taboo here lol) that will run forever with so much as an oil change once in a blue moon, that's just how clueless they are when it comes to cars....

Aunt's 2000 Windstar has always been a SH*TStar. Currently the cluster odometer and warning lights don't illuminate and it doesn't crank when you turn the key, leading me to believe the cluster is out AGAIN. She's had it 5 years and 39k miles. Spent over $7000 in repairs over that time.

My old Gen 2 now has over 200K on it, that's pretty damn good for an original AXODE, but the rest of the car has been generally unreliable since my parents bought it for me, and for him. I was repairing stuff every weekend and he just drove it with things broken. The neighbor that backed into the car (when he first bought it) got him a $1200 check so the entire car really it only owes him the cost of repairs over the last year and a half. 

Both are likely to go to the junkyard, they need new or relatively new foreign cars (yes I know that's taboo here lol) that will run forever with so much as an oil change once in a blue moon, that's just how clueless they are when it comes to cars....

Sounds like a trip to the local Toyota dealer is pending.

• Like 2

They can't afford a monthly payment either and have zero money down right now because it's the Holiday season so it's going to take some time... Toyota, Mitsu, or KIA are looking like top contenders, warranty is everything at this point LOL.

Also, my aunt made the mistake of taking the Gen 2 to work this morning, somehow she got the damn thing to move. She limped it back to my house as I live in a deep river valley and the car won't make it back up the hill. So now, I have 3 bulls in my driveway of 3 successive generations. Probably the last time they'll all be together :P

Drove over 2000 miles through the weekend. Moved my sister-in-law. Borrowed my wife's grandparents' 2013 GMC Sierra "Texas Edition" to haul the big stuff. Trying to save her money by not renting a U-Haul. I managed to stuff her 2013 Focus sedan and the GMC with everything. About 50% was s**t she should have trashed but whatever.

The GMC....I will never own a Chevy truck. The previous generation was better. This one has dealer upgraded pleather seats. So uncomfortable. Ergonomics you ask? "What are ergonomics?", the GMC replies. It took me a little while to get used to no road feel. At first I held the steering wheel tight, but later found it easier to drive by letting the truck bumble and bounce around.

When I got the truck, average fuel mileage was 16.6 mpg. I ran two cans of fuel system cleaner (Berrymans and Lucas), plus inflated the tires to 36psi and mileage got up to 18.8 mpg cruising at 85 mph. Grandpa says that's the best he's ever seen in the truck (bought new, now 90k miles). After it was loaded down, mileage dropped to 17.6 mpg at 80 mph. Overall, I felt that was rather respectable. Only redeeming quality I found. It's huge, a b***h to park in an underground garage, and just not comfortable....ever.

20 minutes away from home, almost home, truck is unloaded and I decide to let the big truck run out to redline. Check engine light illuminates.....fuuuuuuhhhh! It came back as throttle position sensor error. But I think it was actually the alternator not keeping up and caused a voltage drop. Common issue I've read.

23829064762_22dbf8923a_b.jpg