Rusty

The Official Dang Near Anything Thread

Spridget - how awful for you !  But thank you for at least trying to do something, for stopping and taking the time to try to help. Makes me realize there are still some decent people out there. 

Don't get me wrong, when I was a field tech, the shoulder I would carry my 100 Lb ladder on was the same shoulder that my seatbelt rode on. So it did irritate me. However, all I did to solve that was put a binder clip on the seat belt a few inches pulled out to give a small amount of slack, if I got into an accident, I might have gotten into a bit more trouble, however, I wouldn't have been thrown from the van.

Drinking and driving...good thing she didn't hit and kill someone else.  We have a close family friend that that was hit by a drunk driver.  She somehow survived the crash but she is exactly like Drew Barrymore in 50 first dates. 

I don't know how Texas is but its a pretty big problem in Wisconsin, its so ingrained into the culture that for some people they don't think twice, they load up at the tavern and hit the road.  Its almost a constant thing you hear on the news that some guy with multiple DUI's hit someone or was caught.  Brown county typically runs stings every week on Friday or Saturday nights, and they catch a lot of people driving drunk.

I gotta give people like you credit, I don't think I would have it in me to handle a nasty accident scene, I've heard enough stories about decapitated and mangled bodies.

One of my closer friends went though a rough patch and made some big mistakes, he should be getting his license back in the next month. All I told him about his accident is that he's a lucky idiot.

In the ER or the battlefield, trauma finds you. You often have a moment to prepare (or constant expectation) and additional resources. Alone in a dark field at night with little to no cell reception. Different story.

I didn't find any reports online about the accident. I'm curious to know her name. I think the man was screaming "Desireé" but I'm not sure. I felt somewhat despondent after leaving the scene but today I feel more disappointed and angry at the victim. Victim is the wrong word. She basically committed suicide as far as I'm concerned.

Letter from IRS telling me they cannot find my 2011 ammended tax papers. Today, my tax person gave papers to mail them, with duplicates of the papers, and asking them to pay me the $67 refund they never paid.

Oh by the way, they had the wrong year it was 2010.

Chance of getting my $$ = winning the lottery.

Maybe they will close the case, maybe not.

-chart-

Pennsylvania lost my state return one year. My tax guy sent a new one over by FedEx, got a signature, and PA still tried to tell me they didn't get it. 

I said I'd bring the papers over to them personally if the guy on the phone would give me his name and location. He wouldn't.  And miraculously they found my original  return within 72 hours. 

I hate tax offices.

Chart, I hope you and the Mrs. haven't spent that $67 on something wild and crazy like car parts ! :icon_lol:  

Finally made the local news. My wife found her FB page as well once we knew her name. She had 3 kids.

http://www.dailytrib.com/2015/06/29/leander-woman-killed-in-one-car-rollover-in-buchanan-dam/

19256897106_b8d80ae0b9.jpg

RIP Deserae

That's sad, could have all been avoided :(

YiPHmu6.jpg

I think I got this....

FireFox, Chrome, Opera, Internet Explorer (Since they are exploring and all), and Safari

• Like 2

The Canada day fireworks have been cancelled in the whole area here due to dry weather. It kinda sucks since the town was saying it was going to be their best display yet.

I think I got this....

FireFox, Chrome, Opera, Internet Explorer (Since they are exploring and all), and Safari

So what's the last one? Netscape?

In today's world probably Tor Browser seeing all the nasty crap that goes on there. (drug trading, human trafficking, etc)

Happy and Safe Independence Day All.

The 4th is just a day on the calendar.

-chart-

I cleaned out the garage yesterday, and I found this:

Van%20windows_zpsetw5fl9f.jpg

A pair of NOS tinted porthole windows, made by West Custom Windows. eBay says they're worth something.

Happy and Safe Independence Day All.

The 4th is just a day on the calendar.

-chart-

:usa:

Same to you Chart. And yes, just another day here as well.  

The bad news - raining and raining here, so no fireworks, no bbqs.

The good news - my neighbor's out of control  4 grandsons under the age of 8 will be inside all day and disturbing the peace and quiet.

My damn garage has mice. I tried to get them out, I think I saw two in there. Ran the hell out of my motorcycle, got them scared, tried to get them out, they ran back in, and now they won't budge.

Gonna have to go drastic here. :(

Be glad you didn't find a woodchuck in your shed, like I did this weekend.

My damn garage has mice. I tried to get them out, I think I saw two in there. Ran the hell out of my motorcycle, got them scared, tried to get them out, they ran back in, and now they won't budge.

Gonna have to go drastic here. :(

D-con.

I only use poison as a last resort. I prefer to know how many there are and where they are, and know they aren't decomposing in the walls. I bought several of The Better Mousetrap

I only use poison as a last resort. I prefer to know how many there are and where they are, and know they aren't decomposing in the walls. I bought several of The Better Mousetrap

Looked at a couple potential used cars with wife today at the same dealership we bought my C230 from a couple years ago. She wants something with a taller ride height than the Jetta wagon. In the running are a 2004 Lexus GX470, a 2008 Infiniti MX35, and a 2010 Mazda CX-7. Priced $15000, $13000, and $11000 respectively. The Mazda has the least miles, new tires, and lowest price. Infiniti has a beautiful interior and sporting qualities. It's not really much taller, but is a nice ride. The Lexus is a true SUV with a V8 and towing capabilities, but highest priced and oldest. The plan is to make this car a temporary interim until we replace my Dakota in a year or so with a Canyon / Colorado which my wife will drive. I'm leaning towards the Mazda, but I won't mind if she picks the Infinity. The Lexus would be ok at a lower price because I expect it will need suspension maintenance with its age and mileage.

With how fun Mazdas are and how well they hold their value, that's what I'd go with.

Don't those CX7s have oil issues?

Looked at a couple potential used cars with wife today at the same dealership we bought my C230 from a couple years ago. She wants something with a taller ride height than the Jetta wagon. In the running are a 2004 Lexus GX470, a 2008 Infiniti MX35, and a 2010 Mazda CX-7. Priced $15000, $13000, and $11000 respectively. The Mazda has the least miles, new tires, and lowest price. Infiniti has a beautiful interior and sporting qualities. It's not really much taller, but is a nice ride. The Lexus is a true SUV with a V8 and towing capabilities, but highest priced and oldest. The plan is to make this car a temporary interim until we replace my Dakota in a year or so with a Canyon / Colorado which my wife will drive. I'm leaning towards the Mazda, but I won't mind if she picks the Infinity. The Lexus would be ok at a lower price because I expect it will need suspension maintenance with its age and mileage.

Did you mean that the Infiniti is an M35x sedan, or an FX35 SUV? :huh:

I had an alignment check done today and the camber on one of my front wheels is barely off, indicating that it's nearly time for new suspension components up front (rears have been done, fronts are original at 131k miles). 

What strut/coil assemblies are going to be the best value between cost and durability for the front end of a gen 4.5? I've been referencing this thread and can tell that it's probably best to stay away from KYB...when the rear strut assemblies were replaced not long ago the shop put in Monroe something-or-other quick-struts, and they ride well enough, but one side rests lower than the other which I think is probably a quality control problem on the strut assemblies.

I'd really appreciate hearing what strut/coil assemblies everyone has had good experiences with.

Also (please forgive the dumb question, I'm still a novice), should I have the strut mounts and mounting hardware replaced when I have the strut assemblies replaced? I'm pretty sure I should and that most new assemblies come with that hardware, but I figure it's a good idea to ask.