The Official Dang Near Anything Thread

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting a new business with an old friend. He currently owns and operates a small auto repair shop in south Austin. His current location is too small to meet demand so he has been wanting to expand.

Finally looking at a job "upgrade", at least for me. Got a conditional job offer from O'Reilly Auto Parts making considerably more than what I do now at Zaxby's with the added potential of being able

Its a rental car, remember it gets the piss beat out of it... Don't be gentle its a rental.

Posted Images

By the way, Aveo is now legal! I'm pretty much done with it except a trans fluid change, which I can do whenever. Which means....

Hello Thunderbird!

Did a small amount of work to it today. Installed the headliner, and installed my new visors, I'd post pics... But Photobucket says No Thank you.

On a new American Dad they just played, Roger got a '93 Sable with no miles on it, and tried to get it to 100,000 miles.

For those who watch.

Watched the ep today on my iPhone

He had 100,000, but the 5 digit odo rolled when he wasn't looking, so he wanted to see it again.

Here's some screen shots of The Sable. :P

Beginning of show, when 93 Sable had 99,998 Miles, then rolled to 00,001 without him looking

IMG_17761.png

Now with over 190k:

IMG_1779.png

IMG_1781.png

IMG_1778.png

Love the attention to the instrument cluster. Although... Tachometer isn't right... :P

Pretty damn close to the real thing:

IMG_1108_zps9c32e57f.jpg

IMG_1782.png

Love the Fat Klaus and Roger!

Hello, all. Just wanted to update since I haven't been here in a while. Heard y'all were wondering where I went. I didn't go far. We moved into a new apartment that is overpriced, but unfortunately our best option at this point. Baby has arrived and he and mama are both healthy. I don't have internet at our new apartment yet, but hopefully soon. Just not on my current priority list. Updating while I have a few minutes at work right now.

Tree13m_zpse3ac2d53.jpg

Starting to cut up the trimmings.

Tree13p_zps90e03fa1.jpg

Anything under 2" goes through this guy, making mulch. Thing thing about 35 years old and the engine never been touched except for air filter and oil change. Blade sharpened couple of times.

-chart-

Tree13m_zpse3ac2d53.jpg

Starting to cut up the trimmings.

Tree13p_zps90e03fa1.jpg

Anything under 2" goes through this guy, making mulch. Thing thing about 35 years old and the engine never been touched except for air filter and oil change. Blade sharpened couple of times.

-chart-

Tecumseh Engine? They sure don't build those like they used to. Same with Briggs. I hear new B&S Engines suck :(

Just about got in a nice wreck.... Was driving down a street and cars were on my side. Got to the front where a stop sign was and went to the right since there were no cars left. As I start going to the right this Camry that was the very last car before the stop sign decides to pull out and start driving. I swerved hard left and he slammed on his brakes. It I would have come by about 1/2 second earlier I would have needed a few new parts...

Tecumseh Engine? They sure don't build those like they used to. Same with Briggs. I hear new B&S Engines suck :(

New B&S engines are GREAT!! It's just the super cheap ones that suck, the ones that go in the home cheapo specials. And Tecumseh made decent engines but for the last 10 years they were around they SUCKED. In small engine shops those are named s**t bag engines for a reason lol.

B&S have a brand new big block OHV V twin, 1 liter and it makes 40 horses. I work on them in home standby generators all the time. They are awesome!

Kohler and Honda still make great motors too. Honda carb's are particularly impressive. They are pricey but you get what you pay for, most carbs need to be replaced when Honda carbs need to be cleaned. I worked on a Honda generator and when I dropped the fuel bowl it was covered in rust. Cleaned out the jets/ports but left the plugs in, changed the fuel bowl to one with no rust and put some fresh gas in it and it ran like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Edited by 97SHO476

New B&S engines are GREAT!! It's just the super cheap ones that suck, the ones that go in the home cheapo specials. And Tecumseh made decent engines but for the last 10 years they were around they SUCKED. In small engine shops those are named s**t bag engines for a reason lol.

B&S have a brand new big block OHV V twin, 1 liter and it makes 40 horses. I work on them in home standby generators all the time. They are awesome!

Kohler and Honda still make great motors too. Honda carb's are particularly impressive. They are pricey but you get what you pay for, most carbs need to be replaced when Honda carbs need to be cleaned. I worked on a Honda generator and when I dropped the fuel bowl it was covered in rust. Cleaned out the jets/ports but left the plugs in, changed the fuel bowl to one with no rust and put some fresh gas in it and it ran like a champ.

I'd imagine they use Keihin carburetors like on every other non-EFI engine they have.

I'd imagine they use Keihin carburetors like on every other non-EFI engine they have.

They use those or they use Nikki's which are mind bogglingly expensive but I have only ever had to replace two of those and both times they were left sitting with gas in them for 5+years.

Tiller_zpsf70305c8.jpg

I have 6 small engine things and this is the oldest. It was retired from rental and I got it in ~1980. Engine smoked real bad. Picked up this new engine that had been stripped. Used the old carb and rope/cowl and have used it this way since.

JD riding mower 4 years old has B&S 19hp and runs perfect. Loads of power. Others are at least 10 years old and only the tiller has cause me to do anything to them except routine maint. The tiller condenses water in the tank so have to leave it empty over winter.

My father worked on small engines for many years before passing away in '89. He always dumped the gas tank into a 5g bucket outside and blew the tank out with compressed air outside. When the bucket was about half full he moved it well away from the shop and set it on fire. He had told me at times the stuff would hardly burn. Water, paint thinner, diesel, and whatever. My experience, clean gas, regular maint and they run and run. Aside from my tiller and JD riding mower, I do not even know what brand engine.

-chart-