The Official Dang Near Anything Thread

If the manufacture programs the electronic power steering module right, then it can be really good, intact better than hydraulic power steering. Sadly they usually don't do that!

KIA Soul is so easy to steer but doesn't return to center quickly. It's almost TOO easy to steer. You'll understeer and the car won't push very hard against your hands so you don't know to let go.

Here is the catch.

Electric uses a stepping motor and it moves the wheels in small steps. Small steps uses lot of power, larger steps less power. It only uses much power when moving from one step to the next so they save energy and mpg by using steps. Complaints are really large and dealers have lots of complaints, and reports of repeat visits and no satisfaction. Lots of safety complaints. Also, many reports of front tire wear, including wearout by 12K on OEM tires. That due to constant steps side to side wearing the tires.

Guy calls me, while back, he went to high school with me. He was railing on how his new Hyuncai Sonata was so bad he got sick drivng it on the first trip. Dealer gave him a video explaining how to drive electric. Old school habits have to be relearned. CRAP! His issue as well as scores of others is drift. One step it drifts right one step and it drifts left. As said, I have only driven one, and it is SICK!

The stepping motor is the only technology known. Make it with small steps and it uses much more electric.

Not in my future.

-chart-

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting a new business with an old friend. He currently owns and operates a small auto repair shop in south Austin. His current location is too small to meet demand so he has been wanting to expand.

Finally looking at a job "upgrade", at least for me. Got a conditional job offer from O'Reilly Auto Parts making considerably more than what I do now at Zaxby's with the added potential of being able

Its a rental car, remember it gets the piss beat out of it... Don't be gentle its a rental.

Posted Images

Well I won't have a choice in the future since pretty much everything is EPS now... I don't have that problem with the Soul. The only problem it has is that its just so easy to steer... Not responsive at all....

Other bad thing about EPS is you can force it to push against you if you hack into the CAN Bus. It knows what you want based on steering wheel position and how quickly you are turning it. Obviously reacts instantaneously. If you hack in and send the SECM (steering effort control module) a different signal (aka tell it you're turning the wheel the opposite way that it is being turned), then you're screwed and you will only steer straight unless you can overpower the motor. The same thing can happen with newer cars with hydraulic steering (my car for example) since they use a control module and do the same thing, just with hydraulics instead.

Here's hoping they bring something like this out for 2015 (although I'm hearing the Gen 7 Taurus is going to be a 2016 model now)

1986-Ford-Taurus-drivers-side-three-quar

This, and they should also reintroduce this:

thumb_uc_4879_w570_FORD_USA_Taurus_Wagon

Ford does that, I'll buy a new Ford again :D

The Boss 302 is supposed to have a very very good EPS system. I haven't test driven one(yet) so I can't say from personal experience, but my experience with my moms Rav 4 with EPS is very similar to Sam's with the Kia. It will track straight just fine but there is not even close to enough effort required. Hoping into the SHO after driving her car is a real shock and the difference between it and my old t bird was like the difference between manual steering and power steering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Well, when you buy a Honda, you buy reliability and quality :P

Well, when you buy a Honda, you buy reliability and quality :P

Hey, all I can say is that they steer nice. And of the three my parents have owned, they've never had a serious issue. They do use timing belts, though...

Our Fords have been reliable. It's the GM crap my parents had that was the expensive stuff (though since one of them did break 200k before we sold it, I guess it was okay)

Honda still uses hydraulic on all their cars AFAIK. Some idiots complain about it, but every Honda I've driven has great handling and steering control.

^ this,

Say what you will about Honda but every single one of their cars I've driven new has fantastic steering feel and feedback.

Some people don't like that. Some people find the steering feedback too heavy. Especially on the Acuras. The wheels are just SO heavy. It's great for sporty driving, but for a daily driver its no fun after a while.

My SHO has great steering feel, it's not the best I've ever driven. VAPS helps of course but it loads up so perfectly as you turn and gives you tons of feed back.

Some people don't like that. Some people find the steering feedback too heavy. Especially on the Acuras. The wheels are just SO heavy. It's great for sporty driving, but for a daily driver its no fun after a while.

My experience is with my dads 94 accord, my moms boyfriends old 2007 accord, and a 2013 accord I test drove and they all seemed about right for me. I know my grand parents by Lexus's for the sole reason that they all have numb, feather weight steering.

That is the one thing the MKS didn't have over the SHO. Was the steering feedback. Actually I can't compare because I haven't driven a non-PP SHO so the feedback is way different on a PP vs non PP SHO. The MKS EB wasn't as responsive as the PP SHO, but it was more than my car for sure.

My experience is with my dads 94 accord, my moms boyfriends old 2007 accord, and a 2013 accord I test drove and they all seemed about right for me. I know my grand parents by Lexus's for the sole reason that they all have numb, feather weight steering.

Yep. Toyota typically goes for the old floaty-boat GM style steering of the '80s, while Honda has always gone for the sharper European style chassis and handling.

That is the one thing the MKS didn't have over the SHO. Was the steering feedback. Actually I can't compare because I haven't driven a non-PP SHO so the feedback is way different on a PP vs non PP SHO. The MKS EB wasn't as responsive as the PP SHO, but it was more than my car for sure.

I'm sure the increase the assist on the MKS too since its aimed more at luxury buyers than the SHO.

Yep. Toyota typically goes for the old floaty-boat GM style steering of the '80s, while Honda has always gone for the sharper European style chassis and handling.

That's how my t bird was lol. And if you were not moving it was like manual steering. Hard as f**k to turn the wheels.

My Taurus is wonderful, the steering has tons of feedback, yet it's so easy I could use my pinky to steer it at a dead stop :)

My Lin Cont is the best total I have driven. I have driven lots of cars prior to 1998 when I retired and stopped driving rentals.

It has choice of 3 feels, I like "low effor" best. I would expect light effort to not center as quick on 90 degree turns, but it is quick. Good feel, easy to hold stright line on the road. Great road feedback feel.

Both Sables are nice but do not return to center as quick.

-chart-

Ball joints and related components are all going bad on the Explorer so I get a lot of steering feed back.  Any worse and I'd say it's a safety issue, I just need it to hold on for another 6 weeks.  Then I'll have it all torn apart and it should handle much better.

Technology is bullsh*t. I get a call from my dad, my uncle's furnace won't start up, and since I know some HVAC... Well, now I am recruited...

Relatively new furnace about 2 years old, weird for one to quit working.

But, I've seen blown fuses, or thermostat has dead batteries.

Nope, not today.

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

The solder point that went from 24VAC that powers this computer has magically burnt up.

IMG_1677.jpg

Fuse didn't go, this went.

Older furnaces seem to worked just fine without a logic board. Furthermore, I know of a certain TSOC Member who recently had an expensive repair done to their washing machine, due to... Oh wait? What? A failed logic board? Only said board member paid to also have a technician service the appliance, thus costing more than the cost of item. Can I blame them? No. Servicing appliances can be risky and dangerous if one is not careful.

Do we really need computers for everything? Hell no.

Also, a replacement board was about $110 vs free wire from junkyard cars, and a soldering iron that cost about $50 that has already paid for itself countless times.

So, cars aren't the only ones putting unnecessary computer controls where they do not belong...

Don't know a ton about HVAC, know the non-computerish stuff, all I know is if you buy the cheap stuff...you get the cheap stuff...

Not to mention the failure rate of car electronics is really low.... People always blame the PCM but its never the problem (almost never I should say).

Edited by breeves002

One more thing.

--------------------

Sep 04, 2013 (6:19 pm)

Took delivery of a new 2013 Corolla S.
I can barely keep the car centered in a lane at highway speeds.
Tires at specified 32F/32R
Will contact Toyota regarding TSB 014010

--------------------------------------------------------

copy and paste.

OK you can go to the boards of various brands and see many more of this.

See, they get minor relief by changing alignment, tire pressure, changing modules and such.

Oh by the way, they use a rubber belt from the motor to the gear. Wheeee. Gotta love it.

And all this to get maybe 1mpg on a high mpg car. MAYBE 1 mpg, unless you have to do max toe in to keep it in the lane.

-chart-

If the furnace was that new why wasn't it under any warranty.  When we had a new furnace installed at my mom's house it had a 10 year warranty or something like that. 

She's actually looking at replacing the AC now since the current unit is about 20 years old.

I understand your point Kevin.  I had to install a new control panel on our dishwasher this summer, the old one got screwed up, symptoms pointed to one of the "smart" buttons becoming stuck.  New control panel was $120.

No paperwork left from previous owner. But the build information is clear. And rather than try to get the manufacturer to fix it, and leave my uncle with no heat, I was able to rectify the issue, and have the furnace working same night since it's been getting chilly in Illinois.

Not sure about the manufacturer, Heil. I've seen em, but not sure about their work like Trane or Rheem.

Also, each time I looked at the furnace, I kept thinking of another word after Heil... :ph34r:

Furthermore, I am not making it up http://www.heil-hvac.com/

Edit, found out, original purchaser is given the 10 year warranty: http://www.heil-hvac.com/products/warranty/vs95.html

f**kers.