• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please contact us at [email protected] and we can reset your password. 
    • Sean T.

FIXED ~ Issue for New Member Sign-Up   01/13/18

Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding the error codes given when trying to register as a new member. If you have further registration issues, including error codes EX1364 or 2S129/1, please contact us at [email protected] with the error code displayed. Thank you, and welcome to our site.
Rusty

The Official Dang Near Anything Thread

Been away for a while, messed up my cheat sheet and had the wrong information. Looked back at a very old cheat sheet and found the correct info for my account.

So, I'm back.

-chart-

• Like 2

19 hours ago, -chart- said:

Been away for a while, messed up my cheat sheet and had the wrong information. Looked back at a very old cheat sheet and found the correct info for my account.

So, I'm back.

-chart-

Awesome! Was wondering where you went. Welcome back!

Latest trip, maybe something you can see maybe not.

I do not travel out of the area more than once every 1-2 years.

Highlighted was driven by 17 year old grandson on a permit. I-81 and I-95. Experience in traffic.

Data by Carchip, edited by me.

-chart-

Trip17c.jpg

Edited by -chart-

18 hours ago, REDTRUCKCHASER said:

Good to see you back here Chart !

I was through your part of PA last week. Down 22/322 to I-81 and south on Thursday, back Sunday. Been to NC for a wedding. Things have not changed much since the 90's when I traveled to WV on a regular basis. More trucks on I-81 if that is possible.

-chart-

The trucks are a serious problem on 81 around here. They're working to widen 81 to 3 lanes.  If the trucks would just slow down a bit, things might be better. Unfortunately the drivers are bound to schedules that are set for optimum road conditions and don't allow for delays.  The end customer is the problem as well.  Places like Walmart, Lowes, etc. set appointment times. If a driver is 10 mins late, he risks being refused.  I'm glad I'm out of that part of logistics and supply chain.  

I didn't get to SC this fall for a meet since it was cancelled - lack of interest.  Hopefully things will pick up and we'll be able to meet in March. 

2 hours ago, REDTRUCKCHASER said:

The trucks are a serious problem on 81 around here. They're working to widen 81 to 3 lanes.  If the trucks would just slow down a bit, things might be better. Unfortunately the drivers are bound to schedules that are set for optimum road conditions and don't allow for delays.  The end customer is the problem as well.  Places like Walmart, Lowes, etc. set appointment times. If a driver is 10 mins late, he risks being refused.  I'm glad I'm out of that part of logistics and supply chain.  

I didn't get to SC this fall for a meet since it was cancelled - lack of interest.  Hopefully things will pick up and we'll be able to meet in March. 

All along, especially Chambersburg there are huge truck docking buildings, like Target where they must have at least 100 docks filled with trucks at one time. And then with crossings at PA turnpike and I-70 down the way and it is a transport corridor. Goes from Canada border to near Knoxville where you can get to I-40 & I-75.

Now, if they could get a good way to get from Williamsport to Harrisburg it would be nice.

Happy motoring.

-chart-

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Ours is today to fit the schedule of the rest of the family.

-chart-

• Like 2

Took the front end off a Jeep today. These old Cherokees are so easy to work on. This little truck was defiantly worth saving from the scrap yard. The body is still in decent shape for a 18 year old Wisconsin Jeep. When were done with it, its going to have a whole new front end, nice big steel bumper (so the next deer bounces off), and be riding a few inches higher. 

BWdOGRt.jpg

I also found out today that you really do have to let the pressure out of your tires after pumping them up for towing. I never got the time or forgot to drop the pressure from my tires when towing the jeep seen above, that was ~44psi at 25 degrees. Well it was 60 degrees today so those tires were rocks and it was one of the most uncomfortable drives with the F150 at 70mph on the highway, it felt like the back of the truck wasn't on the road. Needless to say I had to stop and let over 15psi out of the rear tires.

So today I got to drive a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L hemi. This is the first big V8 I have driven in a while, not including the 5.3L GM V8 which doesn't count in this comparison. I'm thinking big truck, big 6.4L V8 power and torque, this thing will really move. Needless to say the Ecoboost really does spoil you, this huge V8 just didn't feel to have the same amount of power and motivation. I know for a fact the power is there, this engine is FCAs bread and butter in terms of power. Its just so weird how different a large displacement V8 responds and applies its power compared to that twin turbo V6.

Yesterday my daughter calls and said the Sable would not start. So I have to ask, nothing, grinding, cranking but not starting or what?

Nothing. Dash light on with key but nothing when to start. Then she says, it is fine now. Car was not in "P". How does this happen. She did now know.

And what gave me a fright: car was out of the shop for a new flex plate as the gear was damaged and would grind on one section of the gear.

And this: had my hair cut and the lady said she had a customer call and said she could not drive her car to the shop, the oil light was on. Then called to say a neighbor told her it was the seat belt light, not the oil. Must be awful to get old.

Got my cortisone shots in my knees and my shoulder yesterday and am feeling much better. Still can't spell and my typing sucks. It ain't getting better.

-chart-

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:40 PM, Thub said:

So today I got to drive a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L hemi. This is the first big V8 I have driven in a while, not including the 5.3L GM V8 which doesn't count in this comparison. I'm thinking big truck, big 6.4L V8 power and torque, this thing will really move. Needless to say the Ecoboost really does spoil you, this huge V8 just didn't feel to have the same amount of power and motivation. I know for a fact the power is there, this engine is FCAs bread and butter in terms of power. Its just so weird how different a large displacement V8 responds and applies its power compared to that twin turbo V6.

I'm bit old school so my Lin Cont just feels like it does it with such ease. My 17 year old grandson driving on permit notes this first time he drove it. Compared to the DOHC Sable he usually drives. I drove my son's new F-150 basic 3.5 with 6 speed. It was OK but I do not care for the constant shifting and lugging to get mpg. Guess I am just old.

-chart-

20 hours ago, -chart- said:

I'm bit old school so my Lin Cont just feels like it does it with such ease. My 17 year old grandson driving on permit notes this first time he drove it. Compared to the DOHC Sable he usually drives. I drove my son's new F-150 basic 3.5 with 6 speed. It was OK but I do not care for the constant shifting and lugging to get mpg. Guess I am just old.

-chart-

Wait till you try the 3.3 with 10 speed!

Pic of the last pickup I drove other than my son's recent. Pic borrowed pickup, borrowed trailer, moving my daughter. I did not like driving that junk.

I learned to drive in a '48 ford 3/4 ton with 4 speed and no synchronizers. And I got a check in my test for making a slight gear grind one time. Now I have no interest in driving any more pickups, or new technology. I bet I could still double clutch with the best if I did not have bad knees now. And one more thing: that pickup was the easiest thing to parallel park ever.

-chart-

Move914a.jpg

On 12/1/2017 at 10:02 PM, -chart- said:

Pic of the last pickup I drove other than my son's recent. Pic borrowed pickup, borrowed trailer, moving my daughter. I did not like driving that junk.

I learned to drive in a '48 ford 3/4 ton with 4 speed and no synchronizers. And I got a check in my test for making a slight gear grind one time. Now I have no interest in driving any more pickups, or new technology. I bet I could still double clutch with the best if I did not have bad knees now. And one more thing: that pickup was the easiest thing to parallel park ever.

-chart-

All the newer half ton pickups are super nice to drive, very comfortable, lots of power, and besides the size they probably give you the best visibility of any vehicle on the road today.

All newer cars are shift happy and want to lug, that's how all the manufactures are going to get their fuel economy numbers, using 8 and 10 speed transmissions.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:52 PM, Thub said:

All the newer half ton pickups are super nice to drive, very comfortable, lots of power, and besides the size they probably give you the best visibility of any vehicle on the road today.

All newer cars are shift happy and want to lug, that's how all the manufactures are going to get their fuel economy numbers, using 8 and 10 speed transmissions.

I drove my son's Town and Country with 4.0 OHC and 6 speed. At about 65 the tach showed ~1600 or so. So it could only maintain on level road and on any grade it did not know how to downshift one gear, it went down 2 and then gained speed only to drop back and loose it again. He traded it at 100K when the aftermarket warranty expired, and the water pump was leaking. It was on it's 3rd tranny and he said only the last one shifted in a reasonable way. At least my son's F-150 / 6 speed knew when to shift, did it quick and would maintain set speed. But I am paranoid and like the old school feel of torque. My '03's DOHC will hold any hill here on the interstate at 65-70 without having to downshift. But with a full family on board there is one or two hills it downshifts and it does it well. My Lin Cont does not even notice with a load of 5 of us. It's a keeper for now . On 600 mile NC to NY state run got 25.6 mpg. If they put in 10 speed tranny it might make 26. :lol:

-chart-

So my parents 2006 Ford Escape had a catastrophic failure of the subframe and body due to rust, so I decided to go with them car shopping for a replacement at Carmax. I learned something, I am honestly truly impressed with the Toyota Camry. Words I thought I would never say in my life. Why? Everything under the hood looked very straight forward to service. Alternator, battery, tuneup, belt, hoses, A/C, etc. It was all in easy to access areas. Then you get inside, and it's actually made for tall people front and back. With my back, I don't need to compress my spine to get into the back of it, and I appreciated that about the car. 

Seeing as the Sable is getting up there in rust, a Toyota might join the consideration list of prospective vehicles... I feel I am growing up massively. 

Oh and my parents settled on a 2015 Ford Fusion, it is a nice car, but to me the serviceability doesn't seem as friendly as the Camry, however it isn't my car to service :)

On 12/16/2017 at 10:58 PM, TaurusKev said:

So my parents 2006 Ford Escape had a catastrophic failure of the subframe and body due to rust, so I decided to go with them car shopping for a replacement at Carmax. I learned something, I am honestly truly impressed with the Toyota Camry. Words I thought I would never say in my life. Why? Everything under the hood looked very straight forward to service. Alternator, battery, tuneup, belt, hoses, A/C, etc. It was all in easy to access areas. Then you get inside, and it's actually made for tall people front and back. With my back, I don't need to compress my spine to get into the back of it, and I appreciated that about the car. 

Seeing as the Sable is getting up there in rust, a Toyota might join the consideration list of prospective vehicles... I feel I am growing up massively. 

Oh and my parents settled on a 2015 Ford Fusion, it is a nice car, but to me the serviceability doesn't seem as friendly as the Camry, however it isn't my car to service :)

The Camry hasn't been a bad car for years. One of my co-workers bought a new one and I was BLOWN away by the rear leg room. It had what felt like twice the legroom in the back as the Gen 6. 

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:39 PM, -chart- said:

All along, especially Chambersburg there are huge truck docking buildings, like Target where they must have at least 100 docks filled with trucks at one time. And then with crossings at PA turnpike and I-70 down the way and it is a transport corridor. Goes from Canada border to near Knoxville where you can get to I-40 & I-75.

Now, if they could get a good way to get from Williamsport to Harrisburg it would be nice.

Happy motoring.

-chart-

OK two (snowbirds) others found the route. From Williamsport follow I-99/future I-99 and 220, and such to Bedford, one exit on PA Turnpike, one link on I-70, US 522, and then Winchester bypass to I-81 south of Winchester. 3 miles longer, only one town of ~700 in over 200 miles. Low volume routes. Beats average of 40 mph average on first leg out of Williamsport south.

On 12/19/2017 at 9:36 AM, SHOenough said:

The Camry hasn't been a bad car for years. One of my co-workers bought a new one and I was BLOWN away by the rear leg room. It had what felt like twice the legroom in the back as the Gen 6. 

This, I was super impressed with the rear leg room AND headroom. Being tall it is hard to sit in cars as my head generally hits the headliner. 

• Like 1

Got pulled over for speeding last night. 

Driving through a small town, speed limit 55mph. This older Toyota Tundra is tailgating the F150 in the right lane. I’m in the left lane, about even with the F150 when the Tundra begins tailgating me. Speed limit increases to 65mph as we leave town. The F150 and I both get up to 65~70mph. Tundra is still on my ass, looking as though he will go into the oncoming lane to pass me. After a moment of this, I decide to put some distance between us and mash the throttle. 

As I'm watching Tundra headlights shrink in my rear view, I notice the brake lights of a late model Dodge Charger illuminate in the opposite lane of traffic. State Troopers drive Chargers. FFUUUUHHHHH.... I start looking for somewhere to safely pull over before he’s even completed turning around, his red and blues are flashing. 

Trooper approached from the passenger side “Everything OK?” I explain why I was speeding. He asks “Were you aware of your speed?” No sir. “I clocked you at 112.” D’oh!!!!

He made some chit chat, as cops always do. Nice gentleman. He asked about where I worked, a nearby hospital, learned we were both in the Army. He said he couldn’t let me off without a citation considering my speed but he did type a nice comment on the ticket, stating I was evading a tailgater and gave me extra time to take care of the ticket with a friendly judge. Fair enough. He says, “If there’s any consolation prize for this, it’s that you are the fastest car I’ve pulled over in my 10 years of patrolling this stretch of highway. I’m not counting sport bikes, but cars, you’re the fastest.” We both laugh. I reply to him that my wife won’t find it that funny, and mention she’s a 911 dispatcher for the county. The trooper turns his head for moment, looks back at me and asks “Who’s your wife?” I tell him her name. He replies, “Hand that back to me, all of it, just hand it back. Watch your speed, thank your for your service, and have a good night.”

:o

I didn’t name drop to get out of the ticket, I had already signed and accepted it. As I began to pull away he hollers to wait. He walks back to the driver’s side and says “I turned off my camera. If anyone asks, you got a ticket. Good night.” Yes sir!

Edited by Spridget
  • Like 2

At one point in time, I found it impossible to even get pulled over in Knoxville, TN. I'd be driving along like a maniac, the car would pull behind me, run my plates, and inevitably turn off somewhere. I'm not sure if it was my uncle and cousin (City of Knoxville police) or another cousin (Knox Co police), or perhaps that the mayor and I shared a last name...but somehow it just happens that way.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, machausta said:

At one point in time, I found it impossible to even get pulled over in Knoxville, TN. I'd be driving along like a maniac, the car would pull behind me, run my plates, and inevitably turn off somewhere. I'm not sure if it was my uncle and cousin (City of Knoxville police) or another cousin (Knox Co police), or perhaps that the mayor and I shared a last name...but somehow it just happens that way.

My daughter has been stopped twice in my cars, driving below the limit, Once for excuse tint too dark, other no reason at all. Her friend got the same thing. Our grandson on permit got stopped with her mother (my daughter) driving right on the limit. Now the other thing. They did not want to see a license or permit. Neighbor retired sheriff dep. told me there is a good reason but it is not public. Anyone can guess.

I have not been stopped since 1990.

-chart-

Edited by -chart-