Sign in to follow this  
Sean T.

Intake Silencer Removal?

I've heard more than once that removing your intake silencer can make your car sound meaner....

But why? How exactly does an intake silencer on a bull work?

Also, can anyone tell me what the silencer looks like on a Gen 3 vulcan? Or how to remove it?

All I can find is "You have to cut it off" and "Saw it off" but I don't know what I'm supposed to be cutting.

I'ts basically just a muffler, except it just quiets the sucking in of air, as opposed to the exiting of exhaust.

Edited by Rusty

Courtesy of Nick. ;)

Yeah, I saw that video but gen3's are different from gen4's. :///

ok! i googled some images of taurus intake silencers and kindof have an idea......

46649d1179334851-intake-silencer-6b63_3.jpg

I took the saxophone piece off, and then pulled this out of that large 'roll-of-toilet-paper' looking section:

lulz005iy9.jpg

I think that's what I was supposed to do? But it does sound different....

It's a small sound difference, but it's there.

Cut the tube right before the big muffler thing. Doing that, you'll increase the size of the opening, and it won't go through that expanded section anymore.

Holy crap that thing is huge compared to a G4

wow, the gen3 ones have more holes.. the one I pulled off my car had basically 2 pinprick holes in it and that was all. If you want sound difference you could do what i have done. Take out intake silencer, cat, resonator and add K&N Air Filter + 2005 Mustang GT Exhaust lol

If you want sound difference you could do what i have done. Take out intake silencer, cat, resonator and add K&N Air Filter + 2005 Mustang GT Exhaust lol

This. Definitely this.

wow, the gen3 ones have more holes.. the one I pulled off my car had basically 2 pinprick holes in it and that was all. If you want sound difference you could do what i have done. Take out intake silencer, cat, resonator and add K&N Air Filter + 2005 Mustang GT Exhaust lol

I left the silencer out and already have the K&N filter. Muffler is on the "if I find one local that's a decent price" list..... no plans to take the cat out.

You only have the two cats before the pipes join so no need to worry about that. Gen 4's have a third one.

I left the silencer out and already have the K&N filter. Muffler is on the "if I find one local that's a decent price" list..... no plans to take the cat out.

Did you remove the expanded section on the tube? If not, and it's still routed the same as stock, you're still breathing through an opening the size of a quarter.

This is what it looks like now:

post-12-0-98928200-1308685543_thumb.jpg

Excellent. I would have removed the big section, too, but your way is still effective. :)