Sign in to follow this  
Rusty

Wow. You Can't Tell Me The Driver Didnt Know...

http://www.ydr.com/ci_18171109

You can NOT tell me that the driver of the first truck didn't know what was happening. Even in a semi, you will feel it hitting a car, and at least hear it when you are SHOVING IT OVER A CONCRETE DIVIDER!

Feel so bad for that poor woman.

............................... :angry: Wow I can't believe that. I really hope that truck driver gets fined big time and some amount of jail time. Poor Woman for sure

Not to mention get his CDL revoked. I've noticed that a lot of truckers get in their rigs, and then feel like they don't have to be courteous drivers toward all those smaller vehicles on the road. Don't get me wrong, I know that all truckers are not that way...but quite a few are. With big rig comes big responsibility.

where's my godamn benelli angry.gifangry.gif

(goes hunting for assholish semi drivers)

$hady :ford::merc:

Not to mention get his CDL revoked. I've noticed that a lot of truckers get in their rigs, and then feel like they don't have to be courteous drivers toward all those smaller vehicles on the road. Don't get me wrong, I know that all truckers are not that way...but quite a few are. With big rig comes big responsibility.

It was a sad day when they introduced automatic transmissions in Tractors. It is so much easier to get a CDL now than it used to be as far as actually having to know how to operate you vehicle. The day of the "Professional" Driver is over.

Mike

:angry:

Some more info I accrued last night at the legion: The driver of the semi apparently moved over to let someone merge onto the highway from an onramp, thus hitting the Suby, but still...

I've planned a method to get rid of drivers like this since forever ago.. Sadly the only real way that s**tty drivers are taken off the road are ways like this.

Some more info I accrued last night at the legion: The driver of the semi apparently moved over to let someone merge onto the highway from an onramp, thus hitting the Suby, but still...

A semi driver merging for oncoming traffic? I've never seen that before...and this guy was obviously WAY out of practice.

Thay actually do it alot around here. They just don't normally do it if there is someone else in the way. Apparently this guy didnt get the memo.

First off, I am not defending the truck driver at all. But talking as a bus driver with a Class B CDL.

Yes the woman died, and that is horrible, my sympathy goes out to her family for their loss. But from the reading, the trucker is not FULLY at fault here, there are several factors here.

1) These rigs have a s**t-ton of mirrors so they can see their blind spots, however they still are not covered 100%. If she was in one of those blind spots when he merged over, there would be no way in hell he could see her. A shoulder check admittedly could help, though there is no mention of whether he checked or not.

2) The freeway in question is narrow, according to comments on the article, leaving a small margin of error in the first place, so if she saw the truck coming over, which I'm going to guess she did, she couldn't go onto the berm to stay out of the way.

3) She most likely saw the rig start coming over, why didn't she stand on her brakes? Personally if I saw a truck merging into the lane I'm in, I'd stand on the brakes and risk getting rear ended by another car...

4) The last two are under the assumption she saw the truck come over, if she did not, what was she doing to distract her from watching the road?

We can only speculate as to what happened, especially since we were not there. The people here that are saying the trucker should go to jail, lose his license, etc. Again, you do not know the full circumstances, neither do I however, he has to live with the fact he killed someone for the rest of his life. The police will investigate the accident and determine if the trucker will be charged.

More than likely, both truckers will lose their jobs, depending on their companies policies when it comes to accidents. The one that hit the woman into the divider will most likely have a black mark as well on his work record to where practically no one will hire him.

Yes there are truckers and bus drivers that are complete d***he-bags, I've dealt with them, but 90% of the time, they are very courteous, especially if you are courteous to them as well. Cars are usually the ones that are not courteous on the road when it comes to truckers as well as bus drivers. 95% of the accidents with my company where a car and a bus are involved, the car caused the accident because they cut the bus off, or did not give them the room they need to stop or maneuver.

Well, as a truck driver with a Class A CDL, who averages about 350- 550 miles a day, 5 days a week...

I'd have to say that ya'lls responces prove that you all have NO experience driving a big truck in a heavy traffic situation( Turbosax excluded).

Are ya'll even sure the offending driver even made CONTACT with the Subi? The lack of closeure on the northbound side makes me initially question this. I have seen some 4-wheelers do some absolutely idiotic things... like for instance... not braking when a driver is coming over on them, instead endangering themselves and/or others...Sound familier? Granted, the driver was moving over for a merging car( something that is stressed in most driving schools AND companies BTW), and most likely she was in his blind spot. However, he IS in the wrong for not checking up before he moved. And I doubt he SUDDENLY came over... you can twitch a truck just so far before you're in you're own bad spot.

I want ya'll to stop and think next time ya'll are around a truck... just what have you done that could potentually cause an accident? I guarantee you all have done something in that range. 99% of the 4-wheelers on the road don't comprehend the difference between 4000lbs and 80000lbs... you really can't, untill you drive it and try to maneuver and stop one of these things... in a panic situation.

Everybody is so quick to blame the trucker for every offence, yet the actions of the cars are the leading cause of the accident in most cases.

Now, having said all that, Turbosax is correct... both drivers will be jobless, and god help either one if their log wasn't correct... Something else ya'll don't have to worry about.

And how about the double standard of if I get a ticket IN MY CAR, how it will count against my DAC, even though my CDL record may be perfect...

Sorry, but ya'll got me on a roll...

Having driven everything up to a fully loaded dumptruck, I can testify that its not anywhere near easy to drive in the first place. Truckers have a ton to watch for and a small car in just the wrong spot is damn near impossible to see.