Angrod

Amber Turn Signal Mod

So my brake light switch has been acting up lately. Sometimes I can't shift out of park and other times tapping the brakes won't disengage the cruise control. So I got a new switch from Ford (cheaper than the auto parts store :blink:).

Since I will have to play with all the wiring down below I decided i wanted to get the wiring ready for the amber turn signal mod that I've wanted to do for a while. Unfortunately i can't find a good description of what needs to be done. I know some other members have done this before, so I was wondering if anyone would like to enlighten me as to what all wiring I need to play with in front and back to make it work.

Thanks!

There is a wire between the BOO switch and the MFS that is red with a green tracer- see the first photo below. You need to cut this wire to sever the signal that makes the brake and turn lamps function on the same circuits as they do now. The high circuit (the non-Ground wires are marked 'Major' and 'Minor') that goes to each brake light needs to be rerouted to the amber lamps that you'll be adding to each side, and then the associated grounds need to be wired in for each socket. The brake signal can be run from the center-mount brake lamp on the package shelf to where the high circuit was connected to the brake lamp sockets.

42984d1157205200-adding-amber-turn-signals-img_0749a.jpg

Then you just cut out the socket connector holes for the new amber lamps.

42944d1156876060-adding-amber-turn-signals-img_0736a.jpg

42945d1156876096-adding-amber-turn-signals-img_0731a.jpg

You'll really like the end result. :D

image_url-3-1277172854.jpg

Hey Brian, would it be possible to do the amber turn sign mod with a 04-07 sable tail light harness? Sorry for the thread jacktongue.gif

Brian or anyone, what is the easiest and most accurate method of cutting the lamp sockets for the amber turn signal?

Hey Brian, would it be possible to do the amber turn sign mod with a 04-07 sable tail light harness? Sorry for the thread jacktongue.gif

The sockets would be identical, but the wiring will have to be rerouted in a Taurus because the MFS side of the wiring was different on Gen 4.5 Sables. They were actually supposed to have dedicated brake and turn lamps. BTW, where do you think my donor wires and sockets came from? ;) There is a front end-smacked '01 Sable LS Premium in Wisconsin that is now lacking an EATC package (it's in Kevin's car now) and all of the factory taillamp wiring...

Brian or anyone, what is the easiest and most accurate method of cutting the lamp sockets for the amber turn signal?

A 1" hole saw bit, and use a Dremel or similar to cut the three notches that the socket ears lock into when you turn it.

Brian, only one of your pictures is displaying. I'm not sure if it's my computer or something else. Can you or anyone else see them alright?

Also, do I have to re-pin the harnesses in the back for grounds or anything? And how exactly would I run wires from the third light for the others?

Sorry for dumb questions but I'm not really that great with wiring.

Brian, only one of your pictures is displaying. I'm not sure if it's my computer or something else. Can you or anyone else see them alright?

Also, do I have to re-pin the harnesses in the back for grounds or anything? And how exactly would I run wires from the third light for the others?

Sorry for dumb questions but I'm not really that great with wiring.

Sorry, the pictures I had used up there might be dead links now. They were from TCCA.

Tell you what... I'll get you photos of all of the correct wiring hookups on Monday, when I'm back at home with my spare harnesses. Cool?

Yeah, cool. I can't start yet as I don't have lights or harnesses. I just want to gather the information so I can just jump right in when I do start. I plan on converting all lamps in the back and the park/turn lamps in front to led's.

Sounds like a nice idea. So you'd want to have Gen 4.5 taillamps with amber turn signals in the bottom spear, right? The alternative is Gen 4.0 lamps with red/red lights, and then you could choose which section is the brake lamp. Just making sure...

I'm going with the 4.5 lamps for amber turns. I thought about using 4.0 lamps but I didn't quite like the looks as much as the 4.5's.

Brian, it would be really great if you could make all of the info you've given on this thread into a Wiki page if you have the time! :D

Brian, it would be really great if you could make all of the info you've given on this thread into a Wiki page if you have the time! :D

Done. B)

Have the hammock as the running light/turn signal and only have the big part come on for the brakes with these:

3157_sb_ra_wm.jpg

Have the hammock as the running light/turn signal and only have the big part come on for the brakes with these:

3157_sb_ra_wm.jpg

Unless that lights up red for running but orange for turning, it won't be DOT-spec. It'll probably cause headaches from the cops.

Unless that lights up red for running but orange for turning, it won't be DOT-spec. It'll probably cause headaches from the cops.

It does exactly that. LED "switch back" the lower current (running light) is red and switches/flashes to Amber for the higher current

Brian, I have no idea... I can't figure it out.... it seems to be it's own page here though.... but idk how:

http://www.taurusowners.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_add_amber_rear_turn_signals_to_a_2004-2007_Taurus

Whatevs. It's there now, and Angrod (or anyone else) should be able to get this mod done within a day once the necessary parts and supplies are on hand. It should only take basic wiring ability to accomplish.

i have been thinking about doing this mod to the 07 and something similar to my sable we will see though

Thread-ro-mancer....

I just wanted to interject about the way you cut out the hole for the new tails.

You state that you used a 1" hole saw bit. and a 1" rotary cut off wheel (dremel) to cut the notches.

My question to you is, are you satisfied with that positioning. In a 2nd revision, would you opt to rotate those notches either clockwise or Counter clockwise?

I remember read this back on TCCA days, and the OP there wished they had.

All, in all, i can't wait.

1328753932[/url]' post='40195']

Thread-ro-mancer....

I just wanted to interject about the way you cut out the hole for the new tails.

You state that you used a 1" hole saw bit. and a 1" rotary cut off wheel (dremel) to cut the notches.

My question to you is, are you satisfied with that positioning. In a 2nd revision, would you opt to rotate those notches either clockwise or Counter clockwise?

I remember read this back on TCCA days, and the OP there wished they had.

All, in all, i can't wait.

In the positioning I used, it fits perfectly. Now if you match the alignment of the brake lamp socket, prepare to cry about it for a while...

In the positioning I used, it fits perfectly. Now if you match the alignment of the brake lamp socket, prepare to cry about it for a while...

Great. I will use your pic of the new hole as my template. Thanks!

There is a wire between the BOO switch and the MFS that is red with a green tracer- see the first photo below.

What are the BOO switch and the MFS and where are they located?  Thanks.

What are the BOO switch and the MFS and where are they located?  Thanks.

BOO is Brake On/Off Switch this is located at the brake pedal inside the cabin under the dashboard

MFS is Multi Function Switch this is your turn signal switch/windshield washer switch. This is located to the left of your steering wheel, right behind it. The wiring can be accessed via removing the lower cover of your steering wheel shroud.

Hope this helps :)