Speakers Where They Should Have Been!

Long story short. Over the winter I got really REALLY into car audio and just didn't get on here as much besides to just keep up in people and see what was new. Hopefully I'll be back around a little more now. Have to replace my heater core tomorrow so I'm sure I'll get lost. Lol. But back on topic!

I know people used to ask and no one ever tried. My last door panels were entirely fiberglass from the middle down holding two sets of 6.5" component speakers. Managed to get a new direction going and am installing a set of Hertz HSK 163s now. A three way setup. But doing all this and customizing to install and aim the speakers as needed I wanted to keep the door simple since I missed having the pockets along the bottom. So here is how I got my 6.5" midbass on the door where that hole was always at staring at you not even on top ofthe actual speaker.

c494c75b.jpg

91c18723.jpg

a8af4bbe.jpg

1/2" MDF(birch) ring in the outside. 3/4" MDF(birch) ring on the inside. 4 1-1/2" screws around each ring to sandwich them to the door and some 1-1/4" screws to hold the speakers and grab some more of the rear ring and you have a VERY solid speaker mount with improved output on the wood baffle. You could swing the door panel around holding the speaker hole now and they don't budge. I wrapped the outer ring in vinyl to give it a nice touch but you could paint or whatever if you cut the rings in perfect circles and it would probably look ok. Any who. Hope you like!

And no I'm not done with the sal pod yet in that first picture. Have some more sanding to so before I paint but ran out of time.

They just never got 100% complete. It was a really big project to take on for my first ever fiberglass project. They were pretty good I guess you could say but I was never happy with them no matter what I tried to finish them over the past 3-4-5 months. These speakers are way better then what I had anyways and it is a HUGE improvement. I've never heard live music and guitar solos sound so awesome with these.

This is about the best that the last set ever got which the picture makes it look better. lol

756f561e.jpg

As you can see though there is no way to get a paint to match and look good without redoing the entire interior. I had 3-4 different colors custom made matching interior pieces and it just never came out the same. I'm really happy with the new ones though and will never go back to lower brand of speakers :wub:

Hell yeah. Components and tweets in the sail panels FTW. My 3rd gen has tweets in the sail panels, kind of odd that 4th gens don't have them. I haven't seen any 4th gens that have them. =/

Hell yeah. Components and tweets in the sail panels FTW. My 3rd gen has tweets in the sail panels, kind of odd that 4th gens don't have them. I haven't seen any 4th gens that have them. =/

If a G4 has them, they are right above the door panel, where the exterior mirrors are.

Thanks guys. Slowly getting better with fiberglass. Lol. It's a very nice skill to obtain but it's a pain getting it right.

Lol! I know Brian. Thats on my list to do this summer. I'm busy for the next month atleast but maybe me and the lady can head up to chicago for a weekend since I've never been and meet up