Sign in to follow this  
Bull Geek

1986-1988 Taurus Lx/sable Ls Door Panels

Hey guys. This is going to be tough no doubt, but I am trying to source some 1986-1988 Ford Taurus LX/Mercury Sable LS door panels in gray (bottom left picture). If you know of some in decent shape, can you shoot me a message? I have some mint condition 89-91 style Taurus LX ones (top right except mine are gray and have a chrome strip between arm rest and leather) that I can trade or something.

DoorPanelLX.jpg

Guest Sabaka

Gee, Nick, what's that crank thingy for in the top left picture?? Yuk-yuk!

Does any car still offer hand cranked windows anymore? I remember when having power windows was a BIG DEAL.

Haha well they are a mixed blessing...less crap to break! I believe some foreign cars still offer crank windows.

I love how small all the buttons are in the Gen 1 versus the later gens when the size of the buttons grew.

A base-model Fiesta has crank-operated windows standard. I would be very curious how many buyers won't spring for the power-opening ones, though.

:rolleyes: People seem to complain a lot about how complex new cars have become, and then turn around and b***h about a lack of features when they do find one that comes standard with manual-everything to cut costs down.

Guest Sabaka

That is true. In my younger days, I wanted my car to be stripped down, except for the big block V8 under the hood. I always opted for the 4 speed manual trans, manual brakes and steering. A/C was a luxury I didn't need. As I got older, though, I went for the luxury and convenience. Many of the things that are standard equipment now were options....back up lights. windshield washers, a/c. p/s, p/b, etc. Some of them were mandated by the Feds for safety reasons (back up lights, windshield washers). Ford made hazard lights standard in the '66 model year. .there was a toggle switch mounted in the glove box to turn them on. In '67 they moved the switch to the right side of the steering column. Ford made them with a self canceler, like the turn signals, so if you tried driving with them on, they turned themselves off. Just some automotive trivia for ya.

My first Taurus, a 87 3,8 Wagon GL, had no power windows, no central locking, ne rear washer, but the great 3,8 engine. The car was white, and it had no options, but it was great. I never missed the power helpers, when it has no engine, no engine can be damaged. rolleyes.gif

That is true. In my younger days, I wanted my car to be stripped down, except for the big block V8 under the hood. I always opted for the 4 speed manual trans, manual brakes and steering. A/C was a luxury I didn't need. As I got older, though, I went for the luxury and convenience. Many of the things that are standard equipment now were options....back up lights. windshield washers, a/c. p/s, p/b, etc. Some of them were mandated by the Feds for safety reasons (back up lights, windshield washers). Ford made hazard lights standard in the '66 model year. .there was a toggle switch mounted in the glove box to turn them on. In '67 they moved the switch to the right side of the steering column. Ford made them with a self canceler, like the turn signals, so if you tried driving with them on, they turned themselves off. Just some automotive trivia for ya.

Funny you mention the fasher switch in the glove box. i found out a couple weeks ago that switch was a factory tractor part that Ford used. My '86 Taurus was a 4banger no power controls, 14 inch steel wheels bare bone transportation appliance and loved it.