leolfds

Another Ax4N Transmission Bites The Dust.

So the highly dreaded moment finally arrived for me yesterday morning. Before I begin, I have a 2001 Taurus SES with 119K+ miles on it with original tranny and engine. I was given the car as a graduation gift a little more than 2yrs ago with 52K miles on it, and since then I've been taking extremely good care of it... oil changes every 3K and transmission fluid changes every 30K, etc etc... I was always very gentle with the way I drove, and always used the parking brake when I parked the car. I can't however account for how the car was treated and drove prior to me. So with that being said, here we go.

My transmission is on it's way out. It all happened yesterday morning. I put the car in reverse and heard a big "clunk" noise, the car did a quick backwards jerk and then as I started to roll backwards it kept stuttering. My heart sank and I immediately felt that "oh crap, my tranny." I then popped it in drive and started to move forward. Everything seemed OK but it then started to make a terrible hissing, griding noise (almost like a bad wheel bearing).. I was hopping it would be it, or maybe an axle, but it wasn't. I drove home immediately and dropped it off to my mechanic so he could investigate. Just now this afternoon he calls me back and delivers the blow.... "hey Leo, bud your tranny is going. There are lots of metal shavings, and a whole carnival of metal parts on the pan." He worked a few numbers and dropped the bomb on my lap... $3K for a new Jasper transmission with 3yrs warranty or 100K miles or a rebuilt by a master transmission builder (the same guy that works on all his racing transmissions) for $2.8K and a 1yr warranty....WHATTT?? That's bananahump.gif.... Could it really cost that much? I've never had to rebuild a transmission before but that's much I think. For that price it should be a hell of a transmission huh??? I remember GENTZ saying it cost him around $1.5K. Anyway it's decision time and I'd hate to make the decision to sell it or ever worse, junk it. I'm getting a the new Dodge Charger within a few weeks (company car) and that would be my car. I'd hate to see the bull go. It's my first car and I put a lot of work and love into it. It kinda holds a sentimental value but at the same time I don't want to spend that kinda of money, specially because I already have to put some money down on the company car for all the features I need. Any words of encouragement and advice would help. Thanks all.

Funny that right now I'm thinking of Dennis and his transmission pan mod job. lol

I would call around, I paid around 2k for a full rebuild, including a brand new valve body and removal/reinstall of the transmission.

On mine, the pump bearing blew out, and something else failed (can't remember what exactly). It was all down hill from there until it was pretty much a CVT.

I had to limp it 180 miles back home, and by the time I made it back, it sounded like a GTP with blower whine. When I drove it for the last time, there were no gears. You stepped on the gas, the engine revved way up and the car moved exactly like it had a CVT.

Honestly find a great tranny shop... Mine was good i paid 1500 for a total rebuild everything new and i got a great 3 year warranty. Honestly if you love the car, I would do it. Especially if its going to be your Sunday car with you getting a work car.

I love my Taurus which is why I didn't get rid of it when i got the Milan.

Those prices are at least $1000 high. You should be able to find a local reputable shop (NOT a chain store).

It's hard to get rid of it huh Gentz? lol. My brother is telling me to sell it but I don't want to. You fix it and it is another couple yrs with the car without having to buy another one. All honest I just don't want to dish out that much money, I'm not even going to chain store. I don't trust chain stores. I always go to moms and pops. The $3K and $2.8K were the initial numbers I got. I haven't shopped around yet.That will be tomorrow's homework. I trust my mechanic my mechanic's word. He has always been honest and reasonable with me, but that's just too much moola.

Gentz, how long ago did you say you did you transmission last? I remember you did it twice tho. Are the rebuild parts newly improved or are they the same old junk?

the first time was at around 70k the torque convertor died. So that was 600 I don't count that. The second time was a full s**t the bed at around 108k. I'm not at 147 and its still smooth as ever. I got the car in august 06 the tranny died in oct 07 the first time. Second time was early 09. I have yet to have a problem since. Honestly keeping the car is what I planned to do. I did all this work to it. I'm not gonna give anyone else this car. Too many addons and maintance done to have some one beat the s**t outta it. The new rebuild seems really good. It was all fresh either remanned or new parts. Honestly if you love your car. What would it hurt to keep? It has high miles its worth more to you than any dollar amount you could get. At least that's my take on it. :-). I think keep it, if you can't fix it now park it and wait till you can.

I bet you'll regret it if you sell it......... I know I would

HAHA I know what you mean. My uncle has his eyes on it already. His lease is up in March but I'm not giving it to him. Too much money and work went into that car, and he would just drive it to the ground anyway. His 07 fusion, with only 36K miles on it already makes weird noises that shouldn't be making. All he does is put gas it in.... Besides the filth his car is in. It's like a dumpster truck lol

Do you know anything about the Jasper Transmissions? Are they any good, you know? If I'm rebuilding the tranny I want to put something with better quality and improved design over the original. Update in lieu of rebuild the original doomed trans. I even toyed once with rebuilding the tranny at a pro performance shop around town. They specialize in ford racing cars, and they do rebuild AX4N tranny's that become bullet proof. The price is right around the corner too, $3K+

Yes I would regret selling it. I was very close to selling it back in 08 right after I got it. I had my eye on the STI but I changed my mind.

This makes me sad... I may have to dish out pretty soon for an AX4N rebuild... the one in the SHO has a pretty bad delay in shifts at WOT... otherwise shifts ok...

Well, if you're mechanically inclined and looking for a challenge you could rebuild it yourself. I don't think anyone's done that since July. B) It only cost me about $500 with upgrades(as long as your time is valued at $ 0/Hr).

Well, if you're mechanically inclined and looking for a challenge you could rebuild it yourself. I don't think anyone's done that since July. B) It only cost me about $500 with upgrades(as long as your time is valued at $ 0/Hr).

I want my car to run afterwards tongue.gif... I can't I'm not mechanically inclined at all.

HAHA I know what you mean. My uncle has his eyes on it already. His lease is up in March but I'm not giving it to him. Too much money and work went into that car, and he would just drive it to the ground anyway. His 07 fusion, with only 36K miles on it already makes weird noises that shouldn't be making. All he does is put gas it in.... Besides the filth his car is in. It's like a dumpster truck lol

Do you know anything about the Jasper Transmissions? Are they any good, you know? If I'm rebuilding the tranny I want to put something with better quality and improved design over the original. Update in lieu of rebuild the original doomed trans. I even toyed once with rebuilding the tranny at a pro performance shop around town. They specialize in ford racing cars, and they do rebuild AX4N tranny's that become bullet proof. The price is right around the corner too, $3K+

Yes I would regret selling it. I was very close to selling it back in 08 right after I got it. I had my eye on the STI but I changed my mind.

Hell no to the Uncle, tell him he can rot in hell... My mother keeps trying to drive the Taurus ...........NOPE! Not Happening, all the keys are hidden. haha

I'm sorry but i do not, I went to a Mom and Pop family owned place, they did the work. I only had one issues and that was the tranny pan came loose. They rebolted it and added fluid. It was like a flush hahahaa.

Honestly its a sedan, if you have a second car now, I wouldn't spend that much money on it. It doesn't need a racing tranny.. But i do understand that thought of indestructible. But cost, I just don't know... even though you can goto the dealer and they'll charger you the same price.

What do you think? Lets discuss :lol::tsoc:

Jasper is a well recognized name in engine and transmission rebuilding. From personal experience, they do excellent work on the GM 3400 engines and have included upgrades to address known issues. I know several people that use them exclusively for high performance and heavy duty applications.

Their prices for the transmission run just under $2200. You add in labor and fluid to that.

Their rebuilds are among the best and they include upgrades to address known problem areas. And the 3 yr/100K warranty is good. Here are the upgrades for your transmission:

1. Exclusive to JASPER, we are using a special made stator support.

Produced from a much harder material, it aids in the prevention of

premature wear.

2. A NEW EPC solenoid is installed for proper pressure control.

3. A NEW pump shaft bearing is used for extended life.

4. Two high wear areas of this transmission have been updated. JASPER

installs a NEW updated line pressure modulator valve kit and will

update the regulator valve and converter by pass valves to address

this problem

Woah Jasper allows you to install your own trans??? That is news to me. They used to say that you had to have it installed by a certified mechanic to have the warranty honored. I wonder if they provide the torque converter with a better spline design?

My Cougar has a Jasper re-manufactured engine in it. It only had about 3,000 miles on it when I got the car, I have had no problems with the engine at all in the 3 years I have owned the car. (I wish I could say the same for the brakes, the cooling system and the power steering. But it comes with the territory). I have a friend who used a Turbo 350 Chevy tranny from Jasper in his Jeep. He went through a few of them but he beat the snot of them too. If you are going re-manufactured I would recommend Jasper.