The Sho That Time Forgot

wow that thing is pristine. i dont even really like first gens that much, but if i had the money i would be all over that. i wanna be able to find sho seats in that good of shape for my g4!

• Like 1

Looks just like my 1st SHO. Mine was the same color combination, but mine had a moonroof. It's good to see a well kept Black SHO. The 89' Black was a non-clearcoat and it didn't stand up to weather very well.

What a beautiful car. Gen 1 SHOs, especially 89s, are going to be collector cars someday. I'm waiting for the day to see one like this go across the Barret Jackson or Mercum Auto Auction block...so long cheap SHO prices lol

• Like 1

Man this car is located in Jersey, that is less than 2 hrs. away. I'd love this ride, 5-speed, black looks great and low miles as well. It would almost be a shame to drive it, it looks like a muesem car. cool.gif

Are you kidding me?

That's a GREAT price for that.

100 bucks says you could not have got one a year old in '90 with 28K on it for 8 thou. The fact that you WILL NOT find another like it ought to be worth something, yes?

Tim

• Like 1

Very high price for the age. Sti a 20 plus old car.

:mellow:

To be fair, you admittedly paid at least as much as what they're going to get for that SHO to buy a new car that might as well be 20 years old.

Not knocking the Mercury Grand Marquis at all, but you have to keep in mind that this was a $24k car back in 1989 and is still in near-mint condition in 2010. $8k+ is a bargain for such a well-preserved gem.

:mellow:

To be fair, you admittedly paid at least as much as what they're going to get for that SHO to buy a new car that might as well be 20 years old.

Not knocking the Mercury Grand Marquis at all, but you have to keep in mind that this was a $24k car back in 1989 and is still in near-mint condition in 2010. $8k+ is a bargain for such a well-preserved gem.

well prserved gem, but everything in the car is 20+ years old. I don;t care about mileage it's age that is it's enemy

Brian I paid nothing close to 24k..

what is the logic it might as well be 20 years old?

are you refering to the panther chasis.

I would like to comment on the reputation system:

It's simply a Facebook like/dislike style system. It's not necessarily you as a person they dislike, it's the post.

Do we really need to argue over it? It's your opinion in your post, and their opinion weather they like it or not. Goes both ways.

C'mon man...with that logic, a 50 year old Cadillac Eldorado with 24K miles in as equally good shape should be worth zilch?

I would think the buyer of the car is aware of the fact that everything is 20+ years old. But it looks like it got barely driven at all.

The 23 year old beige car in my driveway shows 23 years of wear and tear. I don't even seen a crease in the leather on that SHO... just sayin' man...

C'mon man...with that logic, a 50 year old Cadillac Eldorado with 24K miles in as equally good shape should be worth zilch?

I would think the buyer of the car is aware of the fact that everything is 20+ years old. But it looks like it got barely driven at all.

The 23 year old beige car in my driveway shows 23 years of wear and tear. I don't even seen a crease in the leather on that SHO... just sayin' man...

well nick lets be fair, your comparing an antique to a tauri.

well prserved gem, but everything in the car is 20+ years old. I don;t care about mileage it's age that is it's enemy

A 74 year-old Bugatti (1936 Type 57SC Atlantic) just sold for a record-high -of any car, ever- price of 40 million dollars this past spring. I'm sure the buyer kept his offer low because it's so old.

I was referencing what the SHO is going for in this auction, which was under $9k when I posted. Unless you actually got the Grand Marquis for more than half off the 2011 MY sticker? If so, kudos on your haggling prowess.

Yes, I am. A 2011 Grand Marquis is a new car built from a 32 year-old design, while the 1989 SHO is a chonologically old car that could probably pass for 'showroom quality' at any car show that you can name. Neither one is really worth the asking price, yet they're still a couple of incredible values for the money.

And this is why people are disagreeing with you. A Cadillac (or any car) isn't any more special than a Taurus. The only difference between them as a 'collectible' is the current level of demand. Look at the fact that multiple bidders have put in an offer for that SHO. There's clear demand for that 22 year-old car, even if it is 'just a Taurus'.

what is the logic it might as well be 20 years old?

Bryan, come on, buddy.

This isn't a car that would be depended on every day. This is just like my Breitling AeroSpace Navitimer watch. It comes out for special occasions. Same with this car.

The watch goes to the jeweler's once a year for a checkup, the niche car would be in the same boat. Much like my Starion is now.

I think you are confusing daily practicality with a hobby car. For what it's worth, yes, you are correct, a lot of the rubber parts are likely to have some degradation, but parts do wear out more from usage than from time. But.....a control arm bushing here and a radiator hose there are all easy fixes. Getting a paint job like the factory one, and a pristine interior, not so much.

Matter of fact, I'd bet that I could go get another '89 SHO, pay 1400 or 1500 dollars for it, and after I am done rebuilding the engine, transmission, suspension, getting a paint job of the same caliber as that one, and having the interior fully redone, basically, making a clone of THAT car........I would have FAR more than 8 grand in it.

You cannot replicate this car for the price.

Tim

In Texas, 25 year old cars qualify for antique plates. Who wants to be the first to own an "antique" SHO?

That thing is ridiculously clean. Buy it, stick it in a car bubble, and don't let it out for 10+ years.

• Like 2

Well, I am out of this car.....

Sitting at 10 large, with 3 days left, and the reserve hasn't been met.

It's just about out of my pay grade right now.

Tim

Darn, wonder what the reserve is. Probably trying to get a ton out of it. Sounds like the buyer needs 15-20k and a warm garage for this one. ph34r.gif