Need Some Help From The Essex Experts!

Hey guys. I got a hold of a '92 Taurus GL with an Essex. It knocks like hell, but I can get a cheap '95 Essex on ebay (I think it's just a bit over 200 bucks) and I was thinking about swapping it over, to use as a winter beater or maybe give to my brother for his first car. Would there be any major electrical issues, or are they pretty much plug & play? And how about motor mounts? Would they be the same, or would I need new ones?

Thanks guys :lol:

Should be a direct swap. A far as I know the only differences between the '92 and the '95 Essex are the valve covers and the valve cover rails on the heads. There may be some hoses or the like in different places (I've never had a chance to compare the two side-by-side) but nothing major. Pretty much plug-and-play.

more often than not it is easier to put a newer engine in an older car. that engine should be pretty easy to swap. ford didnt change anything with the cooling system, trans, etc really in that year range. you should be fine

There are a few trans differences between 92 and 95 IIRC. Rudy will probably chime in with what needs to happen.

i meant the belhousing, mounting, etc.

i meant the belhousing, mounting, etc.

It should bolt up the same even if the transmission's innards are different (AXOD-E vs. AX4S) because they share much of the same construction. I won't even try to apply sense to between-year changes, but it's probably a safe bet that they didn't change the bolt-up pattern between '92 and '95.

The mounts should be the same as well. If you really need to know, just hop on over to Rock Auto and look up the part numbers for the mounts for both years. If they are the same, you are in business!

The motor mounts have the same part number! Looks like things are taking a turn for the better ^_^

And altho the trans have a few differences, the old one should still bolt up and function just fine?