Sign in to follow this  
Shade

Cooking With $Hady (Winter Car Care)

Yo, if you live in the northern states where it's winter 9 months out the year, these might be a good thing to know:

( i got these in an email)

TIP 1:

some of you might already know this..

Car Wax On Headlamp Plastics... Just wipe ordinary car wax on your headlights. It contains water repellants that will prevent that messy mix of crap from accumulating on your lights. LASTS 6 WEEKS, before needing to reapply

TIP 2:

Revive and Rejuvinate Old Wipers... Using rubbing alchohol or isopropyl alchohol. remove the wipers from the car, and wipe the wipers with a cloth saturated with Rubbing/Isopropyl Alchohol or Ammonia. This Trick can make badly streaking & squeaking wipers change to near perfect silence and clarity. Lasts depending on age of wipers- you can tell when re-application is needed.

TIP 3:

Ice-Proof Your Windows With Vinegar... Frost on the forecast? just fill a spray bottle with three parts Vinegar to one part water & mist it on all of your windows. Next morning, they willbe free of 98% of Icy mess. Vinegar contains Acetic, Which raises the Melting Point of Ice - Preventing water from freezing on needed glass. Works on mirrors too. LASTS all winter - first sign of frost, apply one light coat and wipe with paper towels.

TIP 4:

Prevent Car Doors from Freezing Shut... with non flavored Cooking Spray (i.e. original PAM works great). spray PAM on all exterior weatherstrip around the car's doors and rub it in with a paper towel. The cooking Spray prevents water after a wash, from freezing the doors to it. LASTS all winter.

TIP 5:

Fog-Proof your Windshield - on the inside... using Shaving cream? Yeah it sounds Strange, but it works. Spray some shaving cream all over the inside of the glassand wipe it off with paper towels. Shaving Cream shares many of its ingredients found in Commercial DeFoggers (i.e. RainX). LASTS 3 months... apply as needed.

TIP 6:

De-Ice your Locks... using hand sanitizer. Just apply a film to the main and trunk keys, insert slowly into the lock, and work into lock by turning back and forth a few times. Unsure on lasting time...

$hady_J :ford::merc:

I might have to try some of those out I hate scraping windows at 12am when I go to work. Another tip some of you might know is WD-40 will melt the ice if your doors are frozen shut.

Thanks for the tips Shady!!! cool.gif

I will try the vinegar and shaving cream tricks and see what results I get.

I might have to try some of those out I hate scraping windows at 12am when I go to work. Another tip some of you might know is WD-40 will melt the ice if your doors are frozen shut.

As a matter of fact nearly every one of these can be done with WD-40

Temps have really dropped here in Harrisburg so it's time to acknowledge winter is coming. Just did the vinegar thing and cleaned up my wipers with alcohol. Will have to get some shaving cream for the inside. I've got a box stocked up with de-icer, road salt etc that will go in the trunk when the first serious snowfall is predicted. So far just flurries and 30's here.

All I can say is I'm glad I don't have a Taurus in the cold anymore. From November to April, there would be 2 doors that wouldn't shut and 2 doors that wouldn't open. They have a horible door design and once it melts and freezes the doors are DONE for the winter.

I remember more than once the ONLY way to get in and out of the car was through the passenger rear door. There was also a few times where I had to dump rubbing alcohol down the door and light it on fire to get the doors to open/shut.

All of that on top of the fact that it didn't have heat ... yeah ...

I use silicone spray on the rubber moldings for the electric windows, silicone spray in the locks, silicone spray on the weatherstripping, WD40 along the bottom of the doors.

Edited by Millermagic

Good Tips, I really like the one about vinegar keeping frost from sticking to glass, nothing worse then frosted up mirrors.

As for the Pam, I prefer silicone.

Well im just glad that I finally have heated mirrors. YEAH

I'm going to ask Santa for heated mirrors ! Mine have a factory defect I think and the paint is all peeling off.

Sandy, you have heated mirrrors now, right? They just need replaced? I have a brand new passenger heated mirror unit, but the mount for the mirror is broke. Next time I see you, I can swap it in if you like! Then you'll only have to worry about the driver side... (Which I'm sure I'd be able to find one before I come out there again)

Sandy, you have heated mirrrors now, right? They just need replaced? I have a brand new passenger heated mirror unit, but the mount for the mirror is broke. Next time I see you, I can swap it in if you like! Then you'll only have to worry about the driver side... (Which I'm sure I'd be able to find one before I come out there again)

Thanks for the offer Sean ! I don't have heated mirrors now. With the peeling paint situation, I'm looking to do a complete replacement one of these days. Tired of chipping ice in the winter at 5:30 a.m......

Another tip, to prevent severe mud/ice build up on fenders/rocker panels. spray them down with WD-40. I read it somewhwere. it either A: makes it a ton easier to get off or b: prevents build up to start with

I heard of a not exactly eco friendly, but effective way of undercoating your vehicle. Put your old oil in a spray bottle and spray down the undercarriage then drive down a dirt road. The dust and dirt clings to the oil and forms a protective layer from salt.

I heard of a not exactly eco friendly, but effective way of undercoating your vehicle. Put your old oil in a spray bottle and spray down the undercarriage then drive down a dirt road. The dust and dirt clings to the oil and forms a protective layer from salt.

That doesn't seem like a good idea. :unsure: Especially oil on hot exhaust.

But that's just me. :mellow:

Ya I haven't done it personally. Didn't think of that though.