Well My Day Ended On A Flatbed.

So upon leaving training for my new job today, while getting on the freeway I notice te oil pressure light had come on andpulled off asap.

Am really hoping I saw the light and shut it down before I did any major damage. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?and assuming its the camshaft synchro, should I be able.to replace it and check for abnormal noises assuming that is the cause.

Excuse the poor typing as I am a bit frustrated at the moment posting from my phone for now.

Will try to update with more info when I have access to a pc

So upon leaving training for my new job today, while getting on the freeway I notice te oil pressure light had come on andpulled off asap.

Am really hoping I saw the light and shut it down before I did any major damage. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?and assuming its the camshaft synchro, should I be able.to replace it and check for abnormal noises assuming that is the cause.

Excuse the poor typing as I am a bit frustrated at the moment posting from my phone for now.

Will try to update with more info when I have access to a pc

Since you show your car as an '07, the first thing I would look at is the oil level. Its possible you just need to add some oil.

Since you show your car as an '07, the first thing I would look at is the oil level. Its possible you just need to add some oil.

That was actually the first thing I checked. Though I am under the hood every. Couple of weeks, it was full.

If the cam synchro failed, it definently did so without warning. :/

Though the car is an 07, it does have 110k on it and has had the synchro replaced previously under warranty at the dealer around 55k.

Edited by Imaperson

Ah dang...your car is over the powertrain 5year/60K mile warranty. Hopefully nothing major....

I'll find out when I make it in to work tomorrow and yank the cap off the synchro and see if it is the source of my woes.

If I remember correctly, oil pressure should be relatively steady unless there is a good amount of bearing damage correct?

I'll find out when I make it in to work tomorrow and yank the cap off the synchro and see if it is the source of my woes.

If I remember correctly, oil pressure should be relatively steady unless there is a good amount of bearing damage correct?

I wish I could answer that, but I'm not sure...

At least you were quick to catch the light and shut it down. What brand synchronizer are you putting it? Motorcraft?

I wish I could answer that, but I'm not sure...

At least you were quick to catch the light and shut it down. What brand synchronizer are you putting it? Motorcraft?

Motorcraft part went in. Fired it up to a bit of lifter rattle, but it seems fine once the engine got oil going through its veins again :)

The teeth on the old unit were worn t toothpicks, didn't make a bit of noise before it failed. Seems it sheared off the teeth rather than seizing. Will try to get some pics.

Heres some pics. Again from the phone as i've misplaced my camera in the move.

Changed the oil today, didn't see any metal bits come out with it or even any glittery bits to the oil so i must have of looked at the dash right as it came on. Lucky me !

post-313-067195300 1289703715_thumb.jpg

post-313-095992600 1289703733_thumb.jpg

post-313-078132300 1289703751_thumb.jpg

Lucky, indeed. They usually faily in 2 ways. You'll either get a miss/buck over 3k rpm accompanied by a squeak, or instant failure (your scenario) with an oil light. I'm glad you were able to stop before anything catastrophic occurred.

The bearings in mine failed, but I noticed the squeak before oil issues happened. I guess the bearings in yours seized up bad, which caused that shearing to occur. Yikes...

Lucky, indeed. They usually faily in 2 ways. You'll either get a miss/buck over 3k rpm accompanied by a squeak, or instant failure (your scenario) with an oil light. I'm glad you were able to stop before anything catastrophic occurred.

The bearings in mine failed, but I noticed the squeak before oil issues happened. I guess the bearings in yours seized up bad, which caused that shearing to occur. Yikes...

Who knows what happened with that thing.. the weird thing is, if you turn it by hand there is no real indicaton of the bearings being seized. Turns smoothly unless you pull down on the shaft but, as I understand it the gear is pushed up as the cam turns it.

That made me turn the engine over a few times by hand and look at that cam gear really good. Didn't see ay obvious damage/ wobble so went and put the new part in.

I will be pulling it in 40k to check for wear however, as it was a motorcraft part that failed with just over 50k on it.

i really should check the ones in my dads 97 and my moms 07 as far as i know they are both original parts. the 97 has about 148k and the 07 has over 65k now. they dont make any noise though but who knows.

Wow good job on immediately stopping, saved your engine. My Bull was chirping when I got it at 58,000 original miles. I replaced the

synchro with the Motorcraft part so far so good. I will plan on replacing it again after I get another 60,000 to 80,000 miles just because to avoid the issue you had, hopefully.

Thanks for chiming in with your experience, good to know.

Potentially. Distributor/synchro gears are made to be softer than cam gears as a service 'feature'.

Maybe the root cause is excessive clearance in the synchro drive thrust bearing causing the gear to ride high on the cam?

you would have thought ford would have figured a way of making the syncro a bit more reliable by 2007? i wonder how many vulcans have died because of a bad syncro? i am for sure going to pull the ones on our cars to check them when i get a chance. i should pull the one on our crashed 98 too and see what condition it is in.

Why would they bother? By the time they were aware that it was defective they probably knew that they were only keeping the engine in production long enough to squeeze every last drop out of the Gen IV. They generally don't go bad during the warranty period.

I think a friend of mine had a Sable that blew the engine because of the syncro. His description of it wasn't the greatest but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.