Silver04

Sag? How To Fix?

Yes, I'm a "Newb", and I've noticed that most Taurus's sag in the rear end. What causes this and is there anyway to prevent this from happening to my car?

Yes, I'm a "Newb", and I've noticed that most Taurus's sag in the rear end. What causes this and is there anyway to prevent this from happening to my car?

The springs tend to soften up with age and wear. You can replace the springs (replacing the struts as well if it's got a lot of miles on the original units), and/or do the rear strut tab mod to raise the rear ride height.

• Like 1

Rear Strut tab mod? Sorry, i haven't been around long. And Brian you have an amazing Taurus, your signature picture is awesome!

well the strut tab mod (actually reverse for lifting) is when you raise the strut in the knuckle. i had to do that in teh rear of my car after putting eibachs in it because it sat so low now it sits just right! and you can do the regular strut tab mod in the front to make the front lower by lowering the strut in the knuckle just have to be sure not to go too low or it will interfere with the boot on the cv shaft. hope this helps!

• Like 1

When the rear struts are installed, the knuckle pinch bolt normally goes through a tab hole (#1 in the pic) on the strut. To do the mod, the tab (#2) is cut off the strut to allow the strut to be positioned either higher or lower in the knuckle, affecting ride height. I did this on my '02 even with new struts and springs to give me a little better ride height with the normal Taurus load.

struttabmodpic.jpg

installedstrutcopy.jpg

• Like 1

Rear Strut tab mod? Sorry, i haven't been around long. And Brian you have an amazing Taurus, your signature picture is awesome!

Thanks, it's got an XCal tune installed now... I've been playing around with the parameters all morning to get it just right. :D

Thanks for the help, i had always wondered why they all sat so low in the rear. Gen 3's are really bad about it. Thanks for explaining this for me and i will definitely have to try that mod on my car before it starts sagging to low. Nice sable Vash. Thanks Rdh2

Not to be nosy Brian but how many miles are on your Taurus?

Thanks for the help, i had always wondered why they all sat so low in the rear. Gen 3's are really bad about it. Thanks for explaining this for me and i will definitely have to try that mod on my car before it starts sagging to low. Nice sable Vash. Thanks Rdh2

Not to be nosy Brian but how many miles are on your Taurus?

I don't mind; it has about 59,200 miles right now. I got it in July '08 with about 42K.

I don't mind; it has about 59,200 miles right now. I got it in July '08 with about 42K.

It looks alot like mine except mine is an Se. Hopefully my next bull will be a gen 4.5 Sel. Do you recommend putting on the window visors?

It looks alot like mine except mine is an Se. Hopefully my next bull will be a gen 4.5 Sel. Do you recommend putting on the window visors?

It's a great convenience; I usually crack my windows an inch or so when the car is sitting in the parking lot at work all day. The visors help to keep that gap covered, more or less. Unfortunately, I don't have the rear windows covered anymore, because we had vicious thunderstorms here on Friday and one of them got blown the hell off. I took off the other side to avoid leaving a ghetto appearance to my car.

would it be ok to do a rear strut job on a 159k mile car? i dont kno if my suspension has been touched since it was new but do u think it will hold up for a decent amount of time before i want to drop down the money for an overhaul of the suspension?

It's a great convenience; I usually crack my windows an inch or so when the car is sitting in the parking lot at work all day. The visors help to keep that gap covered, more or less. Unfortunately, I don't have the rear windows covered anymore, because we had vicious thunderstorms here on Friday and one of them got blown the hell off. I took off the other side to avoid leaving a ghetto appearance to my car.

I had been thinking about doing it, but i didnt know how it would look on a car. Dont you just love the ghetto cars in this world? :wacko:

would it be ok to do a rear strut job on a 159k mile car? i dont kno if my suspension has been touched since it was new but do u think it will hold up for a decent amount of time before i want to drop down the money for an overhaul of the suspension?

Maybe as a temporary measure, but the parts are probably due for a change. You also have to be aware of the potential for spring breakage if you live in a salt usage state.

Maybe as a temporary measure, but the parts are probably due for a change. You also have to be aware of the potential for spring breakage if you live in a salt usage state.

gotcha...its not too bad now tho....just starting to get the sas...i did check the fronts and i did notice some bouncing when i pushed down on the front signaling that the struts will need to be changed sometime soon

the springs breaking were a wide spread problem iirc. i had one rear spring break on my thats the reason for the eibachs otherwise i would still be riding around in a 4x4 sable...

the springs breaking were a wide spread problem iirc. i had one rear spring break on my thats the reason for the eibachs otherwise i would still be riding around in a 4x4 sable...

A 4x4 sable?! Im sure that would take care of the SAS.

p.s Sweet Wheels Vash

haha yeah the front was so stinkin high i used to call it a 4x4 it isnt so high anymore though lol

A 4x4 sable?! Im sure that would take care of the SAS.

p.s Sweet Wheels Vash

When I put in Monroe Quickstruts, it raised my car beyond stock height.I felt like I was driving a Ranger or something.

Edited by fdogg96

hahafor my car the eibachs lowered the front over 2 inches and kept the back about the same. strut tab mod in the front and reverse strut tab od in the back to level it out a bit and it all sits well now! front could be anothe half inch lower though for a nice rake but oh well haha.

If your're gonna do anything to your suspension, check out ur end links too. They may need to be replaced.