Sign in to follow this  
leolfds

Duralast Batteries, Low Cca

What is your take on these batteries?

Here is my story with it. About 2yrs ago the Motorcraft battery on my 01 Taurus gave away so I stopped by Autozone and picked up a new Duralast Battery. Now for the past 2 months I've been dealing with highly unusual corrosion build up on my battery (+) terminal. Cleaned it twice and put the battery post protection rings, and applied the terminal corrosion ihibitor. The corrosion would try to come back again on the spots that I missed applying the terminal protector. This last time I applied a ton of battery terminal grease and it seems to be holding for now. So last week I was still pondering over this, and I thought I'd check the battery because this can't be normal. Well, my crank amps are at about 105amps right now when they should be around 650amps, right?. My 2 yrs free replacement warranty from Autozone has just run out about 2 months ago lol. Manufacturer warranty is about 7yrs I think. I have heard from some friends that Duralast are crap. Now I'm really considering a good replacement and I don't think I want to stick with Duralast. 2yrs with a brand new battery, this should not be happening. I've been thinking about switching over to Interstate. What do you guys recommend?

What is your take on these batteries?

Here is my story with it. About 2yrs ago the Motorcraft battery on my 01 Taurus gave away so I stopped by Autozone and picked up a new Duralast Battery. Now for the past 2 months I've been dealing with highly unusual corrosion build up on my battery (+) terminal. Cleaned it twice and put the battery post protection rings, and applied the terminal corrosion ihibitor. The corrosion would try to come back again on the spots that I missed applying the terminal protector. This last time I applied a ton of battery terminal grease and it seems to be holding for now. So last week I was still pondering over this, and I thought I'd check the battery because this can't be normal. Well, my crank amps are at about 105amps right now when they should be around 650amps, right?. My 2 yrs free replacement warranty from Autozone has just run out about 2 months ago lol. Manufacturer warranty is about 7yrs I think. I have heard from some friends that Duralast are crap. Now I'm really considering a good replacement and I don't think I want to stick with Duralast. 2yrs with a brand new battery, this should not be happening. I've been thinking about switching over to Interstate. What do you guys recommend?

Your corrosion is either a loose/bad ground or an electrical short -- neither of which is the batteries' fault. I am NOT happy with the lifespan of my Duralast battery in our Ford Escape (3 years) but zero build-up that you are describing. You might want to start with a "big 3" upgrade for the charging system.

I thought the corrosion build up was caused by gasses scapping from the batterly. So when they come in conact with the bare copper on the battery terminal they corrode.

I thought the corrosion build up was caused by gasses scapping from the batterly. So when they come in conact with the bare copper on the battery terminal they corrode.

A small amount of corrosion, maybe but a large amount can be generated by an imperfect electrical connection somewhere. Usually its at the terminals themselves, but it can be somewhere else in the system. A bad ground is the most likely fault, as the grounds on these cars are a known Achilles heel.

A small amount of corrosion, maybe but a large amount can be generated by an imperfect electrical connection somewhere. Usually its at the terminals themselves, but it can be somewhere else in the system. A bad ground is the most likely fault, as the grounds on these cars are a known Achilles heel.

Definitely the battery's fault. I bought a new battery 2 years ago to replace one that was worn out and its done the same thing. The old one did not get the battery fungus, and the new one within a few days gets it. I swapped batteries for a week and presto, no more battery fungus. Put the new one I bought back in and within a few days it was building up again.

Edited by Dark_Fire

Mine worked good for 4 years until I left the trnuk open for 2 weeks in sub-zero temps and the brattery was completely drained.

Seen this a few times..... the seal between the batt terminal and the case is defective and leaking "fumes" onto the terminal causing rapid corrosion / batt fungus. I have fixed this a few times by COMPLETELY cleaning the area where the terminal enters the case, ending with brake cleaner, and then roughing up the joint with 40 grit, cleaning again with brake cleaner and then running a bead of RTV around the joint. Usually works, but not always.

I'm just gonna go ahead with a new battery. My CCA are really low, and with winter around the corner I don't want to get stuck on a cold morning day. Thanks for the input guys!