Brian_05_SEL

Tsoc Cotm- October 2010

Yep, that’s right. I'm running my Taurus for the October ’10 COTM award. B) Since any further big mods are out of the question for a while, this feels like the most appropriate time for me to run it again, now that the car has reached the point of it's own optimum awesomeness.

Here are the basics:

2005 Ford Taurus SEL Premium sedan

1FAFP56U*5A******

D.O.B. 3/30/2005: Atlanta Assembly Plant- Hapeville, GA

(TS) Silver Frost Clearcoat Metallic

(L2) Medium Dark Flint leather

Odometer mileage: 62,900 (as of 10/2010)

Original purchase was via fleet order by Avis Rent-A-Car; it was delivered to Detroit/Wayne County International Airport on 4/14/2005 for use as a rental car. Taken out of service by Avis in late 2006 and re-sold to a private owner in LaGrange, Illinois; acquired by CarMax in early 2008 after the 2nd owner traded it to them. I purchased it at the CarMax store in Glencoe, Illinois on 7/28/2008 (with 42,244 miles on the clock) to replace my previous car, a Pacific Green/Saddle cloth ‘96 Taurus GL with 89,875 miles.

Original Features:

(U) 3.0L Vulcan V6- D.O.B. 3/15/2005: Lima Engine Plant #2- Lima, OH

(X) 4F50N Automatic O/D transaxle- D.O.B. 3/19/2005: VanDyke Powertrain Plant- Sterling Heights, MI

Four speaker AM/FM & CD stereo with 12 watt RCU

Body-colored sideview mirrors with security approach lamps

Information center/trip computer integrated with the gauge cluster

Integrated compass & outside temperature display in the information center

Auto-dimming electrochromic rearview mirror with compass module

Sunvisors with lighted vanity mirrors and HomeLink 3-button transmitter

Six-way power adjustable driver's seat with manual lumbar support

60/40 split folding rear seats with trunk pass-through and center armrest

Perimeter anti-theft system- remote keyless entry with driver's door keypad

Standalone Options/Order Codes:

552- Four-wheel Antilock Braking System

553- All-speed traction control

524- Leather-wrapped steering wheel

43C- Cigarette lighter

942- Daytime running lamps

N/L- Fleet-only six passenger leather seating with flip-fold front console

My Modifications:

Engine/Transmission/Handling

SCT Performance XCal3 tuner with custom strategy (89 Octane makes things really fun)

K&N reusable air filter, Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30 engine oil, Valvoline synthetic-blend Mercon V ATF, Prestone Gold coolant, Castrol Mercon V ATF for power steering

SHO Source underdrive pulley/Goodyear Gatorback accessory belt

Duralast Gold ceramic brake pads with 11.6" vented/10.1" solid Duralast rotors

Rear brake conversion- factory drums (eww!) swapped out for Gen 3 disc brakes

Michelin Pilot Exalto AS P215/60R16-95H performance/touring tires

B&M Racing #70268 13,000 BTU automatic transmission fluid cooler (Averaging a 30-50o drop in ATF temperature with the cooler)

B&M Racing #80250 automatic transmission fluid drain plug

Suspension overhaul- Monroe SensaTrac struts, Moog Gen 3 springs, Motorcraft front/KYB rear strut mounts, Gen 2 SHO 23mm rear swaybar w/ SHOSource poly bushings, Ingalls front/Moog rear endlinks

SHO NUT aluminum lower subframe bushings

Exterior/Lighting/Aesthetics

FormulaOne ceramic film window tint- 35% front/35% back with front 6” shadeband

Centennial Edition headlamp housings

Centennial Edition trunk badge

Sylvania SilverStar headlamp, running lamp, and reverse lamp bulbs

Amber rear turn lamps retrofitted into Gen 4.5 housings

Automatic headlamps with 'alarm active' warning LED inside the sunload sensor

Custom illuminated entry in front doors

Custom auxiliary trunk lighting

Gen 3 SHO wiper arm with aerodynamic fin

Ford Racing rear license plate frame and Ford Racing cosmetic front plate cover (for Show & Display and out-of-state driving uses only- covering a front plate is not road-legal in Illinois)

Dual heated side mirrors- with Gen 3 'Heated' engraved script on the glass

Body-colored rear lip spoiler

Body-colored SHO 'ground-effect' side skirts

Ford Escape 'V6' fender badges

Ford Genuine Accessories- front door window ventshades, plush 'TAURUS' floor mats

Interior/Electronics

Gen 3 SHO leather-trimmed sport/comfort seating (Medium Graphite)- replaces original Medium/Dark Flint leather seating, with powered lumbar support on driver's seat

Gen 4 power-adjustable brake & accelerator pedals

MACH Premium Audio system- 80 watt RCU, four Pioneer 6x8 component speakers, two "MACH Audio" OEM tweeters, & trunk-mounted 6-disc Ford/Clarion CD changer- replaces AM/FM radio-CD player stereo with four speakers

Custom audio setup- stereo is rewired to stay ‘hot’ off of the interior lighting circuit’s 10-minute accessory delay

Power-retractable AM/FM radio antenna

Gen 4.5 ICP with cassette player and Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (with custom manual-override On/Off switch for the A/C compressor)

Gen 4 wood/leather-wrapped steering wheel- replaces leather-wrapped wheel w/o wood trim

Gen 2 column shifter replacement

Gen 4 12V DC auxiliary power port- replaces cigarette lighter

Deluxe sunvisors with lighted/dimming vanity mirrors and hinged secondary visors- replaces HomeLink lighted visors

Custom mod- articulated passenger-assist handles for all four outboard seating positions

Chrome door lock pulls from a '95 Lincoln Continental

Silver face instrument cluster- from an '07 Taurus SEL

Carpeted upper trunklid liner

Locking glovebox door latch, keyed to vehicle's ignition key

Ford PowerCode 200 Series remote control starter with enhanced anti-theft alarm and immobilizer

IMG_4694.jpg

IMG_4695.jpg

IMG_4718.jpg

IMG_4730.jpg

IMG_4726.jpg

IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4463.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg

IMG_4447.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

th_MVI_4459.jpg

Here's my official voting image for the month. :cool_shades:

Thank you for your consideration, and long live :tsoc:

:coolgleam:

More modification images (in no particular order):

th_MVI_4327.jpg

IMG_4569.jpg

IMG_4570.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4689.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4336.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

Always liked that colour! Great job so far! Good Luck!

BTW: How did you obtain such detailed history of every step & time of ownership on your Taurus!?

CONANsweet.png

BTW: How did you obtain such detailed history of every step & time of ownership on your Taurus!?

CONANsweet.png

Thanks! I filled in the blanks in it's ownership history by requesting the original build sheet and window sticker from Ford Customer Service, ordering the title history report, and doing a little internet stalking here and there. :ph34r: I even know when my old '96 Taurus's registration was last renewed and the number on the current plates that were issued for it.

Dude, I love that Photoshop with Coco! :bowrofl: I LOL'd big time.

Loving the hot-N-fresh OEM mods (and the ones that aren't OEM, but still just as classy). This is my favorite type of look, in a car. "Stock, without being stock". Well done, Brian. B)

that thang be gorgeous! where did you get that taurus decal for the 3dr b.lite? awesome! good luck with COTM

Looks great Brian!

Thank you. :D I love the Windstar Sport alloy wheels that you got recently. Those were on my mods wish list for a long time, up until I decided to stick with my 7-spoke Sable alloys.

Loving the hot-N-fresh OEM mods (and the ones that aren't OEM, but still just as classy). This is my favorite type of look, in a car. "Stock, without being stock". Well done, Brian. B)

I try. ^_^ OEM-like mods are the most impressive to me... trying to figure out whether or not s**t will work/fit/blow up in the year and body style of Taurus that I'm putting those parts into is the really fun part. ;)

that thang be gorgeous! where did you get that taurus decal for the 3dr b.lite? awesome! good luck with COTM

I really appreciate the compliments from you guys on my car; it's definitely advanced far beyond the pristine, nondescript fleet queen SEL that I test drove (and loved right away) two years ago. :) I got that 3rd brake lamp overlay from a seller on eBay who makes them at home out of adhesive vinyl. I just took another look around the website, but unfortunately it doesn't appear that the same guy is offering any at the moment.

I am partial to the low key mods also. All those "LOOK AT MEEE!!" mods like fart cans, mural paint jobs, gaudy body kits, and park-bench wings just make me sick.

I've got a few in the works as well. I'll get them installed after I'm done with the Contour & put in for the COTM when the time comes.

Thanks! I filled in the blanks in it's ownership history by requesting the original build sheet and window sticker from Ford Customer Service, ordering the title history report, and doing a little internet stalking here and there. :ph34r: I even know when my old '96 Taurus's registration was last renewed and the number on the current plates that were issued for it.

Dude, I love that Photoshop with Coco! :bowrofl: I LOL'd big time.

Edited by Pintig

CONANsweet.png

What is really missing in this picture, is a picture photoshopped of that "Blonde, Long Legged Woman in the bathing suit" that appears next to the red sports car in Brians' signature !

What do you guys, think about that ?

Do I hear any yes' ??

What is really missing in this picture, is a picture photoshopped of that "Blonde, Long Legged Woman in the bathing suit" that appears next to the red sports car in Brians' signature !

There's a low cost mod with high 'Wow' factor...

What do you guys, think about that ?

Do I hear any yes' ??

:boink:

There's a low cost mod with high 'Wow' factor...

:cheers::clap2:

Hell yes. I'll pledge 100 TSOC Dollars to the first person who can post a Photoshop in this thread with what you're describing. :makeadeal:

Here's some material to work with. ;)

hot_babe_and_ford_gt-1280x800.jpg

uberawesomeness.gif

Here you go Brian, Its not my best work, however it's been over a year since I used Photoshop. If you can get me a pic with the same angle as the GT, I could make it look like she was really standing there (Although it probably take a week or two.)

Anyway, as the other guys were saying, Low Key mods look the best in my opinion, it doesn't scream for attention, but still makes people go, "Whaaattt?"

And best of luck this month! You've definitely got my vote! biggrin.gif

Edited by Chris F.
  • Like 1

uberawesomeness.gif

Here you go Brian, Its not my best work, however it's been over a year since I used Photoshop. If you can get me a pic with the same angle as the GT, I could make it look like she was really standing there (Although it probably take a week or two.)

Anyway, as the other guys were saying, Low Key mods look the best in my opinion, it doesn't scream for attention, but still makes people go, "Whaaattt?"

full_of_win_RE_Omegle_T_Rex-s694x530-79066.jpg

:lol: Dude... she's sitting on my mirror!

Hahahah! That is awesome! I give 200 Internets to Christ for that one!

*Sidenote*

Piccard looks way too happy... hahaha

:lol: Dude... she's sitting on my mirror!

Looks more like the mirror is up her ass!

Still tho...

nicelegsSMILEYsign.png

uberawesomeness.gif

Nice WOW factor addition to your vehicle, Brian !

Any idea how many hours you put into your vehicle to do all the mods?

Very nice results!

• Like 1

Nice WOW factor addition to your vehicle, Brian !

Any idea how many hours you put into your vehicle to do all the mods?

Very nice results!

Hours?? :lol:

If you want a ballpark estimate, I'm gonna have to go with several days- maybe a full week or two. To start with, the rear disc conversion took 9 hours, the EATC was done in about 4, the SHO seats in 3, the autolamps/illuminated entry door lights/alarm LED/trunk lights took 6... I could go on here, but you probably get the point. It's been good for killing a **** of a lot of free time with friends and family. That has made modding my car so much more worth it to me than the monetary cost and the frustration that came from the aforementioned projects. This car has been my daily transportation, my loyal (sometimes quite ****** <_<) friend, and the source of a really enjoyable pastime for over two years. That is what I look at when people ask me why I drive and/or modify a Taurus. "Because I ******* well want to!"

A few more up-to-date pictures from my excursions today:

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4743.jpg

:tsoc::D

Wait a second. *looks at calendar* Is the October COTM contest over already? :blink:

Bahah Brian sorry I've been busy and missed the actually date. Luckily you have run unopposed! so CONGRATZ!

:tsoc: