Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 06/24/19 in all areas

  1. 3 points
    Update as of 2019. Our original intent to have the entire car painted is dead. I ended up purchasing a 1990 with no dents or rust and that is the perfect candidate for complete overhaul. Scarlet is, of course, still running the roads. Last year I took her on a nice long trip into the upper peninsula to Ontonagon, MI. About an 8 hour drive and it was smooth sailing the entire trip for 2 weeks. Was nice to have it out and about. This last year I revamped the basket wheels and had to repaint the bumper and trim. Too much had begun to flake off and was down to bare plastic. So, with the new refreshed look she made her way through the 4th of July parade!
  2. 1 point
    Ok. Excellent idea. I'm still finding my way around here. Thanks.
  3. 1 point
    Perhaps starting a new thread in maintenance and repair, but it does sound like either 1. You might have air still in the system, or 2. You have a plugged heater core. Heater cores are a bit of a problem with the Tauruses.
  4. 1 point
    That sounds like a great plan. Thanks! I'll post an update later.
  5. 1 point
    I never knew this forum was here. My first Taurus was a 91. It had about 194k miles & was 30 mpg on the hwy with the 3.0 V6. The transmission was rebuilt at 97k miles, but made the car drive like new again. I sold it in 2001. I found a 2002 Sable wagon with the 3.0 DOHC V6. I'm still not sure whether this is what they call the Vulcan or not. This car was $2500, but is reliable & worth $25k. I found a 2003 Taurus wagon this week. It's got the other 3.0 V6 OHC (Vulcan?). It's also got a couple of problems I want to fix. The power antenna, key fob (which I got working by cleaning out some moisture), and the heat turns cold quickly when I turn the knob to heat. I'm thinking clogged heater core. Glad to find this. Thanks for being here.
  6. 1 point
    Seems to be working perfectly now, thanks!
  7. 1 point
    This is more of a forum operational issue, but I noticed I can’t view new member posts. Gives me a permissions error.
  8. 1 point
    If the transmission filter was clogged, I'm thinking you'd see other issues besides the light. As far as your code reader, I know some readers will spit out transmission codes, but that's not 100% every time. A higher end scanner might be able to see if there's any issues, but your mileage may vary. With regards to these transmissions, everything I've heard points to them naturally running warmer than most transmissions, leading to the fluid eventually breaking down, and of course taking out the transmission. Since usually people aren't changing their ATF all that often, there's a good reason it's easy to find Taurii with dead transmissions with maybe 120-150K. A good rule of thumb is to do regular fluid changes on the transmission, maybe about every 15-20K. Adding a transmission cooler certainly will help extend the life of the transmission. Any licensed Mercon V fluid will work fine.
  9. 1 point
    You can change the heater core yourself to save $$$. If yours is plugged as bad as the one in the video then you would need acid to flush it clean. I don't know if you have to drain the cooling system for this or not. I forgot that the struts can pop like that when they wear out (although 71k miles sounds premature.) The bearings might have gone bad which I believe is known to cause a popping sound or feel. And a manual from an '02 will be fine for your car. The 2002 and 2003 cars are both Gen 4 and there weren't any significant changes.
  10. 1 point
    Ford announced a voluntary recall on all 2000-2003 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable models with the 3.0L Duratec today. This is a recall on the throttle cable. The brackets can become disconnected or damaged, leading to a sticking throttle condition. Ford began mailing letters last week, and dealers are instructed to repair the vehicle even without the letter. Repair will involve either reinforcing the bracket, or replacing the entire cable assembly with an improved one.
  • Create New...