Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club

Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club!
If you are not a member, registering to our forum is easy! To get immediate access to everything we have to offer, click here to register and get started! If you're already a memeber, sign in here.

Registering gives you access to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • List your car in the Garage for everybody to see your car and it's mods
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Buy and sell parts in the Marketplace
  • Take part in the car meets and events each year
  • And much more!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Coolant Leak

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rdh2

rdh2

Devoted Member

• Platinum Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Midwest
  • TCCA Name:rdh2
  • My Car:2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
  • Engine:4.6L

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

:angry: So, 57 miles short of 200,000, I'm running errands and notice the temp gauge heading north. No matter the weather, the temp has never gone above 1/2 scale. I know its getting hot because even the AC is getting warmer.

Driving down the road doesn't help (ram air), so I pull in to Advance where my son is working. I pop the hood and the reservoir is empty. I hear a "hissing" sound from the front of the engine. I carefully removed the cap and it is dry. I add a gallon of coolant and start the car up. Temp was good, but its leaking coolant. At this point I'm looking everything over and see a small stream of coolant - its on the right side of the front of the block and either from an external head gasket leak or from the front cover. Now I am officially pissed. At least there is not water in the oil. I have Matt price out gasket sets just in case.

Throw the cap back on and drive the 5 miles home - all is normal. Park on the street, get out, and coolant is streaming out the bottom of the car. I pop the hood and see it in the same spot on the block.

I'm hoping its the front cover, knowing it probably is a head gasket, and debating what to do. Do I fix the immediate issue of the leak or yank the engine and go through it because of mileage?

Ok, rant over. Thanks for your time.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Rusty

Rusty

WARNING: Viewing my posts may be harmful to your mental health

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Mid-Atlantic
  • TCCA Name:snoopy2003taurus
  • My Car:2003 Taurus SEL
  • Engine:3.0 24V

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

if you have the time and resources, i.e. another mode of transport, might as well go ahead and go through it. probly not a bad idea on a 200k car.
if that is not the case, definately fix the immediate issue to prevent causing unnecessary harm to the engine, and go through it when you are able. either way best of luck with her

Posted Image

Well there ain't no shame in a job well done, from drivin' a nail to drivin' a truck!

As a matter of fact I'd like to set things straight: A few more people should be pullin' their weight!

If you want a cram course in reality, you get yourself a workin' man's PH. D.!

#3 Zorin

Zorin

Mayhem..is WHAT I DO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • My Car:1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
  • Engine:4.6L Romeo V-8

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

Bob, I know you know your s**t with cars.

But, from one tech to another, we've seen crazy, crazy s**t.

A few years ago, had an '88 Mitsubishi Sigma in the shop with the 6G72 3.0L V6.....they knew the head gasket was popped. It was leaking water right there, you could see it plain as day! (I kept pics of this one for a reason)

See? Leaking all over the place, surely coming from the side of the head:
Posted Image

So, we filled it up, and in true Texas shop style, cracked a beer, and waited for thermostat to open. Holy hell, what do you know!
Posted Image

Here's my point. If you haven't given the thing a good nuking, or have some reason to believe you threw the head gasket, it probably isn't bad. If the compression is good, and the car runs cool with coolant in it, and you have nothing going out the tailpipe, and nothing filling up the oil pan, it's probably something stupid like this pinhole in the radiator hose.

Tim
Posted Image

When you talk to the manhood, mark your tone well. 'Cause if the manhood's insulted, then the manhood can't swell. If he doesn't feel strong, and he doesn't feel stout, then he'll sulk and he'll pout, and he'll never come out. So if you want that love to continue to thrive, Ladies, sit there, shut up, and let the dick drive.

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

good point, Zorinator

Posted Image

Well there ain't no shame in a job well done, from drivin' a nail to drivin' a truck!

As a matter of fact I'd like to set things straight: A few more people should be pullin' their weight!

#5 thesavo

thesavo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • TCCA Name:Thesavo
  • My Car:2003 Ford Taurus SES
  • Engine:Vulcan

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

Have you replaced your Heater Core Bypass yet?
You said you are sure the FRONT of the block? NM then.

Edited by thesavo, 22 September 2010 - 10:26 PM.

2003 SE SVG (Special Vehicle Grade) Built with Pride in Atlanta.

Vulvan AX4S – Spruce Green

I am TheSavo on the following Boards,

Crownvic.ca, Crownvic.net, Escape-City.com, FordEscape.og, FordTaurus.net, ExplorerForum.com, F150online.com, TaurusOwners.com

Like my diagrams? they are from AutoZone.com Sign-up for a free account. Vehicle Maintenance Log. http://www.mycarprojects.net Also has an Android App.

#6 rdh2

rdh2

Devoted Member

• Platinum Members
  • 1,064 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

Well, after cleaning the area, things may be looking slightly better.

I am beginning to think the leak might be from the upper aft part of the timing cover. My plan is to get the front cover off and see what I find. The old bull may have some life left yet!

I'll try to remember pics for a writeup. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in the task, I forget the pics.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

i do that all the time with the pics. just get goin on something an next think you know its back together and you didnt take a single photo haha

Posted Image

#8 rudedog

rudedog

• Platinum Members
  • 430 posts
  • TCCA Name:rudedog
  • My Car:1993 GL
  • Engine:2007 - 3.0 vulcan

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:16 AM

front cover they corrode from straight a-freeze OR syraight water, seems worse with a mix, and tap water. i mean NO-ONE uses distilled water right, that's just a myth. basically you're looking at electrolosis. i can't even count how many of these things i've replaced or did a half assed fix, because the customer couldn't/didn't want to buy a new one.

pressure test and see if it sprays or bubbles

Rudy Heinemann Jr.
Posted Image

May 2008 Car of The Month/Car of the Year 2008
'93 GL 3.0L, BOOTY'S BLUE BUCKET O' BOLTS
February Car of the Month T.S.O.C.
March Car of The Month T.C.C.A.
2003 SES 3.0L, GHOST

'93 SHO 3.2L, SNIPER SHO

#9 thesavo

thesavo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • TCCA Name:Thesavo
  • My Car:2003 Ford Taurus SES
  • Engine:Vulcan

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:21 AM

I used distilled water. I bought 4 gallons last week. just to be sure I had enough. Made a 60/40 mix.

Also: I just noticed in Post3. the 2nd pic has straight get of water spaying out. I have looked @ it 4 times, and just noticed the trouble.

Edited by thesavo, 24 September 2010 - 06:26 AM.

2003 SE SVG (Special Vehicle Grade) Built with Pride in Atlanta.

Vulvan AX4S – Spruce Green

I am TheSavo on the following Boards,

Crownvic.ca, Crownvic.net, Escape-City.com, FordEscape.og, FordTaurus.net, ExplorerForum.com, F150online.com, TaurusOwners.com

Like my diagrams? they are from AutoZone.com Sign-up for a free account. Vehicle Maintenance Log. http://www.mycarprojects.net Also has an Android App.

#10 rdh2

rdh2

Devoted Member

• Platinum Members
  • 1,064 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:20 AM

front cover they corrode from straight a-freeze OR syraight water, seems worse with a mix, and tap water. i mean NO-ONE uses distilled water right, that's just a myth. basically you're looking at electrolosis. i can't even count how many of these things i've replaced or did a half assed fix, because the customer couldn't/didn't want to buy a new one.

pressure test and see if it sprays or bubbles

I'm hoping its not corroded. I use distilled water for mixing antifreeze. I have to find a pressure tester - my local Autozone does not have the adapter for our setup in their kit and Advance's rental kit is broke.

Hope to start working on it this weekend.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 rdh2

rdh2

Devoted Member

• Platinum Members
  • 1,064 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:10 PM

Finally got the car done. When I got the timing cover cover off, I was very happy with what I saw. :)

There was hardly any corrosion and the engine was clean.

In the upper corner of the timing cover, you could see where coolant had been leaking past the gasket. I was able to clean up the cover just fine. I think the gasket was just worn out from age/mileage.

So here is what I ended up replacing:
Timing Cover gasket, Crankshaft Seal, Timing Chain and Gears, Oil Pan gasket, Lower radiator Hose, Upper Radiator Hose, Thermostat, Water Pump.

Being that I have nearly 200K on the car, I replaced the timing chain and gears just because. The new ones did not have any less free play than what I took off.

When I pulled the timing cover and oil pan, I was extremely happy with the cleanliness I found. Both the cover and oil pan had a light film covering and absolutely no sludge. The oil pump screen was very clean.

I'll get a couple pics up of where I believe it was leaking - I have to find the camera.

The only issue I had was the upper hose. I bought a Dayco hose at Advance and the diameter of the hose was just large enough to allow the hose to slide right on the thermostat housing and the clamp would not tighten up. Picked up another hose at AutoZone (Dayco also) and it fit ok. I think the first hose was from a bad lot.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 jsixis

jsixis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Not Enrolled
  • My Car:1993 Ford Taurus Police
  • Engine:3.8L

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

I tightened up the same hose on my taurus today. Every week I was adding about a quart of coolant. Turns out it was just a slightly loose clamp.
It never fails, when I pay someone else to work on the car I end up fixing it again.
Yes, the car is old but I'm older and still running
Why shouldn't it?

#13 rudedog

rudedog

• Platinum Members
  • 430 posts
  • TCCA Name:rudedog
  • My Car:1993 GL
  • Engine:2007 - 3.0 vulcan

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:58 PM

that's why I'm the ONLY one to touch mine. the ghost goes to the shop, but mine, HE LL NAWWW!

Rudy Heinemann Jr.
Posted Image

May 2008 Car of The Month/Car of the Year 2008
'93 GL 3.0L, BOOTY'S BLUE BUCKET O' BOLTS
February Car of the Month T.S.O.C.
March Car of The Month T.C.C.A.
2003 SES 3.0L, GHOST

'93 SHO 3.2L, SNIPER SHO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users