• Announcements

• Devin

Sean T. is the new TSOC President!   03/27/16

As some of you may know, I started this forum back in 2010 in response to TCCA being sold to AutoGuide. I originally made this forum and called it the Taurus Club of Michigan (or something like that) purely as a joke, except a bunch of members from TCCA started joining. We eventually changed the name to the Taurus and Sable Owners Club, and we instantly started getting tons of signups from TCCA members in search of a new forum to join.  I only had my Taurus for about 6 months, and have moved on to the Mopar side. After 6 years, it seems weird for me to be president of TSOC. So as of today, I am 'stepping down' as President of the club and hereby hand the title of TSOC President to Sean T! I would say that most of you already know who he is, and I think he will do a great job as TSOC President. I will remain an admin of the forum and will continue to manage the server and forum software. Sean will be taking over all other responsibilities, including being in charge of the TSOC donations and money management. I will continue to pay for domain renewals, forum license renewals, and any other forum expenses, with Seans approval. Everybody please welcome Sean as the new President! Click here to view the full thread. ->
    • Devin

Donation/Membership Benefits Changed   03/29/16

As of today, the benefits for each donation level has been updated to improve our members experience on the forums. Be sure to check out the new benefits, and if you haven't already, please donate! Your donations help keep the forum running, and give you a better online experience.  Click here to see the changes and how to donate!  
    • Sean TT

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at TaurusOwners@gmail.com and he can reset your password.
risoworker

How Hard Is It To Program A New Key

22 posts in this topic

I was talking to a locksmith and he told me to program a key for my taurus they have to take apart the dash to

get to the computer to get the program numbers off it.

is this true?

If you already have 2 keys, its very easy no code hunting necessary just go through the programming mode to add the third. If you are missing one of the two keys, then I'm not sure I know its dealer doings. I didn't know anything about taking apart the dash though.

I thought they just look up the programming code by the car's VIN or something? :huh: I've seen my PATS module before when the dash was removed; I don't think there's anything printed or stamped on it, number-wise.

As long as you have at least one original PATS key, reprogramming another is not hard to do. I found the procedure on a site that sells PATS blank keys for all makes.

I'm sorry to correct you but you need both orignal pats keys not just one.

I thought they just look up the programming code by the car's VIN or something? :huh: I've seen my PATS module before when the dash was removed; I don't think there's anything printed or stamped on it, number-wise.

i said that to him. i said well can't you call ford and get the pin numbers for the key. he said the vin will not tell you pin heights. he then added don't you think anyone could start the car with the vin

then. i said yea assuming you know what a 1 and 5 and 6 and 4 and 1 heights would be,

interesting ideas.

could this be why they are so expensive to program at dealers and if you lose your only key.

I'm sorry to correct you but you need both orignal pats keys not just one.

PATS for 96 and 97 LX/LS/SHO models just needs 1 key...not a good idea, glad they changed that huh! Be easy steal a car.

The dash may need to come apart for whatever backwoods way he is doing it, but the correct way involves using Ford's NGS Tester.

Tim

the hardest part must be cutting the key... i had the dealer cut and program a key i brought in (mercury one with the chrome emblem) and they somehow managed to screw it up so they gave me a plane jane ford key... but yeah they just used a scanner to program it.

Imagine this is why I can't goto cook outs with the family or I'm just a guy. I get side tracked.

the hardest part must be cutting the key... i had the dealer cut and program a key i brought in (mercury one with the chrome emblem) and they somehow managed to screw it up so they gave me a plane jane ford key... but yeah they just used a scanner to program it.

So they screwed up your Mercury key and gave you a basic Ford one? I know this may sound nitpicky but id definitely tell them they are to give you a Mercury key replacement.

It is the same basic key structure they've had for years (back the 80s if not longer), its just the key head that has changed. If they messed *that* up then I think they rightfully owe you a Mercury key!

So they screwed up your Mercury key and gave you a basic Ford one? I know this may sound nitpicky but id definitely tell them they are to give you a Mercury key replacement.

It is the same basic key structure they've had for years (back the 80s if not longer), its just the key head that has changed. If they messed *that* up then I think they rightfully owe you a Mercury key!

yeah i ws pretty pissed about that one but i am not very good at standing up for myself...

anyway thinking of it from the dealers side they took a loss on me because the mercury key i brought in they ended up having to give me a key they only charged me for programming... though that was a couple years ago I have yet to even look for another mercury key

]Might as well keep this key thread alive. My car came with three keys. Only came with one ignition key (left) and two keys for lock/unlock/trunk use only, which they do work. But the real question is, can any of these keys be programmed for ignition keys? They appear to be the same entirely, except the far right has a slightly different looking S engraved on the reverse side of the logo.

Edited by dsauce

2000 and up need 2 working keys to add more yourself. I just had one done by a locksmith. $80 for everything. Dealer wanted $140. Took 15 minutes.

2 people like this

Maybe your right, either way I edited the post. I was trying to get a picture of the engraved S on the back but my phone camera is weak. So, these other two keys can potentially be starter keys. No system like reprogramming a fob?

2000 and up need 2 working keys to add more yourself. I just had one done by a locksmith. $80 for everything. Dealer wanted $140. Took 15 minutes.

Who did you pay to do your car cause I need one for cheap

I bought my own key blank on the internet and Ford garage cut it and taught my Sable to use it. Dealer ~$60.

Do not rmember the key cost but ~$15.

-chart-

1 person likes this

When we built the Focus SVT-WGN, we had to do some interesting modifications. We had the two original Focus keys and one SVT key from the write-off. We swapped everything, engine, transmission and ECM (most important) from the SVT into the wagon. We did NOT change the steering column, but did change the steering wheel and dash (more instrumentation).

The original Focus keys did not work. From one of the Focus forums (like TSOC) someone gave us the hint to take the SVT key, pull the chip (transponder) out and replace it in one of the original wagon keys. We did it, and it worked. The car started and ran.

Normally the next step will cost you. However our local dealer mechanics were so intrigued, they programmed our second key for no charge except the cutting of the key and the blank. Programming the second key means hooking up their laptop computer to the car and letting it run (we did not watch that close, as we were explaining how we did the swap.)

With two keys now, we made ourselves a third (instructions are in the User Manual) key. The lesson here is, if you fix up your car, and do something unusual, at least some dealers will give you a break.

One other tip, although we have never tested it, said to just tape (or glue) the original SVT key to the top of the ECM and use non-PAT keys. Maybe someday I will try that as an experiment.

If you really don't care about making more keys your self, you now can go to most hardware stores and Walmart.

They will clone your key to a new one. The PCM sees it as the same key. So you can't use it as a 2nd unique key for programming.

Cost varies.

Edited by thesavo