• Announcements

• Devin

Sean T. is the new TSOC President!   03/27/16

As some of you may know, I started this forum back in 2010 in response to TCCA being sold to AutoGuide. I originally made this forum and called it the Taurus Club of Michigan (or something like that) purely as a joke, except a bunch of members from TCCA started joining. We eventually changed the name to the Taurus and Sable Owners Club, and we instantly started getting tons of signups from TCCA members in search of a new forum to join.  I only had my Taurus for about 6 months, and have moved on to the Mopar side. After 6 years, it seems weird for me to be president of TSOC. So as of today, I am 'stepping down' as President of the club and hereby hand the title of TSOC President to Sean T! I would say that most of you already know who he is, and I think he will do a great job as TSOC President. I will remain an admin of the forum and will continue to manage the server and forum software. Sean will be taking over all other responsibilities, including being in charge of the TSOC donations and money management. I will continue to pay for domain renewals, forum license renewals, and any other forum expenses, with Seans approval. Everybody please welcome Sean as the new President! Click here to view the full thread. ->
    • Devin

Donation/Membership Benefits Changed   03/29/16

As of today, the benefits for each donation level has been updated to improve our members experience on the forums. Be sure to check out the new benefits, and if you haven't already, please donate! Your donations help keep the forum running, and give you a better online experience.  Click here to see the changes and how to donate!  
    • Sean TT

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at TaurusOwners@gmail.com and he can reset your password.
Hardwood

Do I Need To Remove The Rear Struts To Replace Springs?

10 posts in this topic

I have a 2004 Sable LS and want to beef up the rear due to a little sag and to allow hauling a little heavier loads. Been reading about the different combinations of springs and struts but for now I was leaning to just doing the springs using CC589's since the struts are good - I have done a lot of work on my cars and trucks but never with struts and coils springs so I was wondering if I need to completely remove the struts to replace the coils ... I'm guessing I do but would like to avoid the need of having to have an alignment done if it possible.

Yes, the coils are around the struts. I persoanly reccomend just getting quick struts for the rear as they are fairly cheap and come with brand new components already together, and it is a lot safer and easier

Yes, you do. There is no other way to take the springs out- front or rear.

It only has 45K miles on it but I guess if I am going to have to pull the struts then I probably will go with kyb's and 589's.

Thanks for the info.

It only has 45K miles on it but I guess if I am going to have to pull the struts then I probably will go with kyb's and 589's.

Thanks for the info.

One more thing.

The PINCH BOLT.

See pic of mine from '03 last year. I replaced the bolts while doing the rear wheel cylinders.

If they get much older that that in the rust belt, they will be a bear to remove, and may break off and then need to be drilled out.

I used an electric impact wrench and managed to worry these out without any real bad pain.

I greased the shank of the new bolts so someday when I need to do struts/springs I will be able to remove the bolts.

My '03 with '98K is still not saggy nor struts leaking.

I have done at least 3 Taurus/Sable rears and the pinch bolt was always the hard part.

Rest was not so easy on top for the Gen 1 as the top bolts were in a bad location.

-chart-

Edited by -chart-

CC859. ;)

Rock auto has a special on Monroe Quick Struts, 58 bucks a side on the rear.

Bolt_Cutter_3C.jpg

Nah, you have to remove the struts. A real pain in the you-know-what if you know what I mean.

Quickstruts is a good idea, but do they make them in stiffer setups?

Bolt_Cutter_3C.jpg

Nah, you have to remove the struts. A real pain in the you-know-what if you know what I mean.

Quickstruts is a good idea, but do they make them in stiffer setups?

No, but sometimes they make heavy duty ones.

Where in MN are you? Done this a few times if you need some help and are relatively close.