• Announcements

• Devin

Sean T. is the new TSOC President!   03/27/16

As some of you may know, I started this forum back in 2010 in response to TCCA being sold to AutoGuide. I originally made this forum and called it the Taurus Club of Michigan (or something like that) purely as a joke, except a bunch of members from TCCA started joining. We eventually changed the name to the Taurus and Sable Owners Club, and we instantly started getting tons of signups from TCCA members in search of a new forum to join.  I only had my Taurus for about 6 months, and have moved on to the Mopar side. After 6 years, it seems weird for me to be president of TSOC. So as of today, I am 'stepping down' as President of the club and hereby hand the title of TSOC President to Sean T! I would say that most of you already know who he is, and I think he will do a great job as TSOC President. I will remain an admin of the forum and will continue to manage the server and forum software. Sean will be taking over all other responsibilities, including being in charge of the TSOC donations and money management. I will continue to pay for domain renewals, forum license renewals, and any other forum expenses, with Seans approval. Everybody please welcome Sean as the new President! Click here to view the full thread. ->
    • Devin

Donation/Membership Benefits Changed   03/29/16

As of today, the benefits for each donation level has been updated to improve our members experience on the forums. Be sure to check out the new benefits, and if you haven't already, please donate! Your donations help keep the forum running, and give you a better online experience.  Click here to see the changes and how to donate!  
    • Sean TT

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at TaurusOwners@gmail.com and he can reset your password.
SoNic

How To Adjust Timing On A Messed Up Engine?

15 posts in this topic

This is my wife's Hyundai Sonata V6 2.5L. Seems like every 35-40k miles the timing belt breaks. Fortunately, even if they say it is an interference engine, never did damaged the pistons/valves. Always happened in the driveway (like today).

So, when I crank the engine it spins really fast. Now, all the timming is messed up. How do I align again the marks in this case.

Firing order is 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6. Cylinder numbering is 1, 3, 5 by firewall, 2, 4, 6 by radiator.

My plan:

1. Rotate the crankshaft until cylinder #1 is at top.

2. Rotate the camshaft gear on the cyl #1 bank until I get both (actually all 4) valves closed. This should be in the location when the marks on gear line-up. Do I need to take the valve covers off to do that or I can feel it with the finger in the plug hole?

3. Rotate the other bank gear till... now I am lost. What cylinder should be at top compression now?

I have never done timing, but from what i understand, there are timing marks on all 4 cams, and the crank, having the crank at TDC as well as the cams will give you perfect timing.

Your best bet is to find what Hyundai's procedure is. Each car is a little different. Most have timing marks, or in the case of a 95-97 zetec contour you must pull the cam cover and put in a special camshaft holding device to align them.

Your best bet is to find what Hyundai's procedure is. Each car is a little different. Most have timing marks, or in the case of a 95-97 zetec contour you must pull the cam cover and put in a special camshaft holding device to align them.

Lol, my "special" timing tool was a small sheet of wood I trimmed to fit the camshafts :lol:

Give me the year of her Sonata, and I can see if my version of Mitchell has the car, and if so, I'll get you the information you need ;)

0996b43f8020904f.gif

Should be something like this. Need year to get the specific diagram, and the VIN code for the engine would help as well (eighth letter).

Is it bad I know the mechanical timing procedure by heart on the 2.3 turbo Ford motors? I also know which motors computers get 10 and 13 degrees. I also know the voltage the TPS is supposed to sweep at after you set all of that.

On a serious note. That's a Delta engine like the Tiburon had. 2.5 vs 2.7 but the procedure may be the same. Maybe check out a tiburon forum.

It is 2000 V6 2.5L. All the procedures of replacing a GOOD belt rely on timing markings when cyl 1 is at TOD. In my case, the belt is not good anymore so I have to know if the markings can still be used since two crank rotations can fit to that position.

Edited by SoNic

Just align all the marks and you will be in business. The crank rotates twice for each rotation of the cam(s), so there will be 2 points where it will line up.

1 person likes this

Soo... how would I know at which one of the two possible rotations I am? Because only one of the rotations is the "right" one (compression on cyl #1).

If I'm thinking right as long as cyl 1 is at tdc it doesn't matter. It will only matter if the timing belt were attached. Two rotations of the crank for one rotation of the crankshaft, so as long as the marks are lined up you can put the belt on.

Exactly, so long as the mark is lined up and cylinder 1 is at tdc it doesn't matter what stroke it is on.

Exactly, so long as the mark is lined up and cylinder 1 is at tdc it doesn't matter what stroke it is on.

Good call.

With the timing belt off, every stroke is the same on the crank.

And the cam.

Once they are belted, then they have the pattern.

-chart-

Good call.

With the timing belt off, every stroke is the same on the crank.

And the cam.

Once they are belted, then they have the pattern.

-chart-

As soon as you line up all the marks, the engine will be on compression for #1 cylinder.

Thanks, I was confused. That's easier than I was thinking.

Now... I can see the belt. Not broken or "jumped" teeth.

So my guess was wrong - based on previous experience. When I did crank the engine, it spinned faster than usually (like some valves would be open) but didn't start.

Edited by SoNic