Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club

Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club!
If you are not a member, registering to our forum is easy! To get immediate access to everything we have to offer, click here to register and get started! If you're already a memeber, sign in here.

Registering gives you access to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • List your car in the Garage for everybody to see your car and it's mods
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Buy and sell parts in the Marketplace
  • Take part in the car meets and events each year
  • And much more!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

It's that time of year again! Hosting renewal is due!

Donations are needed to help keep the forum running! Here's how to donate, and what you'll get in return for helping!

We're really close! If you've already donated, thank you! If you haven't, would you consider helping support the forum? We're independently run and funded purely by member donations. Your support is greatly appreciated!

2015 Taurus To Ride On Fusion Platform?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Not Enrolled
  • My Car:1999 Taurus SE
  • Engine:Vulcan

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

I first saw this story on Automobile Magazine's website but I just found it again on MotorTrend...

http://wot.motortren...ans-250131.html

Basically, there is a rumour that the MY 2015 Taurus could be built on an "extended" version of the Fusion's platform.

Personally I think this would be awesome news! I've never been a fan of the bloated D3 Tauruses and would like it to go back to being a mid size, volume selling car like it has been since it was introduced. Pop the 365hp Ecoboost engine in that and call it a SHO, o yea! :ph34r:
Posted Image

#2 Brian_05_SEL

Brian_05_SEL

Keep calm, and let the Internet Sales Manager handle it.

• Platinum Members
  • 6,200 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Midwest
  • My Car:2005 Taurus SEL & 1987 Sable LS
  • Engine:3.0L Vulcan OHV V6 w/ 4-speed automatic (x2)

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

Yep, and that was already known before the Gen 6 even went on sale. (Link is dated 7/12/2009)

Posted Image But it will not be a midsized, volume selling car- that's why they have the Fusion, remember? Ford still needs a fullsized flagship.
2005 Ford Taurus SEL | Silver Frost | Atlanta built 3/30/05 | 96k mi. | Bull #2- planned to be out of daily service during summer; bought 7/28/08.
1987 Mercury Sable LS |
Bright Red | Chicago built 2/09/87 | 63k mi. | Daily driver- my rare classic with a fresh rebuilt AXOD; bought 11/12/12.
1996 Ford Taurus GL |
Pacific Green | Chicago built 1/22/96 | Sold to CarMax @ 89,875 mi. | My first Bull; owned 5/26/01 - 7/28/08 (RIP in 2011).

#3 mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

Yep, and that was already known before the Gen 6 even went on sale. (Link is dated 7/12/2009)

Posted Image But it will not be a midsized, volume selling car- that's why they have the Fusion, remember? Ford still needs a fullsized flagship.

Is that revenge for me knowing the Police Interceptor came with AWD standard?

Edited by mmmfloorpie, 23 August 2012 - 07:46 PM.

Posted Image

#4 double--negative

double--negative

'MT5 plus' Devastator Wagon

• Platinum Members
  • 1,037 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Eastern Central
  • TCCA Name:major
  • My Car:'87 Taurus Wagon, '99 Taurus wagon, '00 Taurus wagon etc. etc.
  • Engine:Vulcans

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

I must live under a rock cause this is all new to me. :(

nuttersig_zpsda4e7658.jpg

#5 Brian_05_SEL

Brian_05_SEL

• Platinum Members
  • 6,200 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

Is that revenge for me knowing the Police Interceptor came with AWD standard?

:Picard2:

Actually, it's been posted in the past on both Taurus forums... like, uh, this topic for example. Well, the Taurus is not their midsized Camry fighter anymore (that niche is filled nicely by the Fusion), so why would anyone honestly expect the Taurus to shrink again? The next-gen platform change is being done for weight reduction.
2005 Ford Taurus SEL | Silver Frost | Atlanta built 3/30/05 | 96k mi. | Bull #2- planned to be out of daily service during summer; bought 7/28/08.
1987 Mercury Sable LS |
Bright Red | Chicago built 2/09/87 | 63k mi. | Daily driver- my rare classic with a fresh rebuilt AXOD; bought 11/12/12.
1996 Ford Taurus GL |
Pacific Green | Chicago built 1/22/96 | Sold to CarMax @ 89,875 mi. | My first Bull; owned 5/26/01 - 7/28/08 (RIP in 2011).

#6 Thub

Thub

Devoted Member

• Platinum Members
  • 1,999 posts
  • TCCA Name:THub
  • My Car:2002 Taurus SE and 1997 SHO
  • Engine:Vulcan & Yamahammer

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hopefully this will also allow ford to redo the interior, not that I don't like it, but critics always say it is small for some reason, the fusion feels much more open inside than the taurus but isn't that the point of a "cockpit" designed interior.

Trace H.
Medium True Blue Metallic | 2002 SE |Vulcan AX4N | October 2008-Present

Toreador Red | 1997 SHO | 3.4L V8 | March 2014-Present

#7 mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

:Picard2:

Actually, it's been posted in the past on both Taurus forums... like, uh, this topic for example. Well, the Taurus is not their midsized Camry fighter anymore (that niche is filled nicely by the Fusion), so why would anyone honestly expect the Taurus to shrink again? The next-gen platform change is being done for weight reduction.

Nice one.

People didn't like me on that forum because I was a huge critic of the D3 Taurus saying it was too big and too expensive.

3 years later and I was proved right.

Every single professional review I've ever read on this car has commented on how $$$ it is, how big the ass is, and the fact that despite being enormous on the outside, it's cramped on the inside.

You like these forums I presume? Well take a look at the 5th-6th gen sub forum. There's 16 topics in the ENTIRE forum!

The sooner the Taurus gets back to a mid size platform, the better.

For everyone else who wasn't around in 2009, feel free to discuss the article here!
Posted Image

#8 TaurusKev

TaurusKev

Post Whore

• Platinum Members
  • 4,286 posts
  • My Car:1995 Taurus LX Wagon and Thunderbird LX
  • Engine:3.8L Essex V6 and 4.6L Modular V8

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

I like the Gen 6 Taurus. However... For the luxury I wanted, the Focus had it, for cheaper, and better fuel economy. I think even if I had a family, I'd stick with the Focus, I prefer hatchbacks/wagons better. That was my only thing I didn't like about my 05. However, Ford wanted way too much for a wagon vs a Sedan, and when I was on a tighter budget back then, I settled for the sedan, and regretted it. I seriously would love if Ford made a Hatch/station wagon version of the new Taurus. Sadly Americans are goofy in the head, and think wagons are soccermom mobiles, not practical means of transportation and utility.

LFSW
I've always been mad
I know I've been mad
Like the most of us, it's very hard to explain why you are mad even if you're not mad.

People embrace mediocrity. That's why the Camry sells so well.

#9 Bull Geek

Bull Geek

At the junkyard, again...

• Administrators
  • 4,193 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Southeast
  • My Car:2000 Ford Taurus SEL
  • Engine:3.0 Duratec V6 DOHC

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

mmmfloorpie.

Will you stop whining about the Taurus not being a midsize car. There's a Fusion for that.

Mulally resurrected the name from a dead rental car. The name is recognized by over 75% + of the American population. I don't blame them for stamping it on the brand's flagship car. Good way to reinvent the product, and bring people back to the showroom. A flagship, large size car is going to have a chunky trunk. There's a backup rear view camera if you can't handle the badonk.

Look at what you are getting for your $.

Ignore the name on the back end.

Compare what's out there in the market.

You are getting a healthy dose of features, space, size, and style for your $. No other car can match it at the moment. So anyone whining about the price has nothing to stand on. And furthermore, the cost of cars has definitely gone up, as people want more features standard. Also, safety features mandated by your countries' government (and mine) are also weighing cars down. Ford (and other manufactures) cannot justify eating the cost because it's the law for a car to have tire pressure warning systems...So you get to pay for it.

I will agree that the cabin does not feel is open and airy as a 3rd Gen Taurus or a 1st/2nd Gen Fusion...but maybe Ford's goal was to make you feel like you're in a cockpit up front. The platform of the car didn't make it that way, it's the way the car's interior was designed. michakaveli made a good point the other week. Open the doors to a Fusion and a Taurus (both current models). Look at the thickness of the doors. There's a significant difference.

-Nick M. - Columbia, SC
post-13-0-17878000-1405897709.jpg

--Silver Frost M/C 2000 Ford Taurus SEL DOHC 3.0L V6/AX4N | 198K | 3/9/2000 

--True Blue M/C M/C 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature | 55K | 4.6 V8 | 4/2002 
--Beige 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park Wagon | 5.0 V8/AOD | 173K | 5/90

--Ugly 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | 5.0 V8/AOD | 303K | ??/??

#10 shohopefull

shohopefull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • My Car:1990 SHO x2, 2001 SEL
  • Engine:Yamaha, Duratec

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

My choice, if I had the money and wanted a big car, would be the EB Flex. It's just more useable to me. I think the '13 Tauri look a lot better than the previous ones.
Posted Image

Red '90 SHO "Breakdown"
Silver '90 SHO "Silver Banshee"
Black '01 SEL "Alice"

#11 SHO-WGN

SHO-WGN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Canada and Alaska
  • My Car:2001 Ford Taurus SEL Sedan
  • Engine:3.0L DOHC 24V

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

It is both interesting and annoying how Ford (okay all manufacturers do it) keep playing the same old game: bigger is better. Compare the Taurus in 1986 to the 2013 model or the new Focus to the 1998 model (2000 over here). The current model Focus at 3240 lb is heavier than the first generation Taurus at 3050 lb - and I am comparing wagons by the way. Since the new Focus uses 5 x 107.9 mm bolt circle wheels, this means a new Focus ST engine swap into an old generation I or II wagon should be hotter than a stock SHO. Plus you would get a six speed as well.

The new Fiesta ST is equivalent to the old Focus SVT, just another example of increasing size.

By the numbers:

First generation Taurus
Wheelbase = 2692 mm (106.0 in)
Weight = 1380 kg (3050 lb)
Length = 4874 mm (191.9 in) wagon

Fourth generation Taurus
Wheelbase = 2756 mm (108.5 in)
Weight = 1504 kg (3316 lbs)
Length = 5022 mm (197.7 in) wagon

Sixth generation Taurus (nearly a foot longer and half a ton heavier than Generation I)
Wheelbase = 2868 mm (112.9 in)
Weight = 1821 kg (4015 lb)
Length = 5154 mm (202.9 in) no wagon, just sedan

First generation Focus
Wheelbase = 2615 mm (103 in)
Weight = 1364 kg (3007 lb)
Length = 4455 mm (175 in) wagon

Third generation Focus
Wheelbase = 2648 mm (104.3 in)
Weight = 1471 kg (3240 lb)
Length = 4556 mm (179.4 in) wagon
Retired (like many of my rides), like long roofs (wagons), manual transmissions

Current Vehicles
2002 Ford Focus Wagon (current project driven daily - full SVT swap - 6 speed, 170 hp engine, full disk brakes, etc. - now debugging)
2001 Ford Taurus SEL Sedan (3.0L 24V, automatic)

#12 Thub

Thub

Devoted Member

• Platinum Members
  • 1,999 posts
  • TCCA Name:THub
  • My Car:2002 Taurus SE and 1997 SHO
  • Engine:Vulcan & Yamahammer

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

The size increasing over the years is clear, but I think we have now seen the peak of growth. If you make the taurus any bigger you would have to call it a crossover or SUV, the thing is 5 feet tall. I would have to think that we will plateau on size for the time being, power on the other hand may still increase. Just look 10 years ago you couldn't get any common car that had an engine that got 100hp per liter, today almost every new car offers that amount of power.

Trace H.
Medium True Blue Metallic | 2002 SE |Vulcan AX4N | October 2008-Present

Toreador Red | 1997 SHO | 3.4L V8 | March 2014-Present

#13 Brian_05_SEL

Brian_05_SEL

• Platinum Members
  • 6,200 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

And there are currently more cars available to buy with 400+ horsepower on tap than at any other time in history. That includes the late 60's "Muscle car" era...
1987 Mercury Sable LS |
1996 Ford Taurus GL |

#14 blackout

blackout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • My Car:2004 Taurus SES
  • Engine:3.0 Duratec V6 DOHC

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:19 AM

And there are currently more cars available to buy with 400+ horsepower on tap than at any other time in history. That includes the late 60's "Muscle car" era...

Damn skippy.:drive:

:banana:

7fWE.jpg
2004 Ford Taurus SES - black w black leather, eibachs, mach 1 chin spoiler, straight pipe, mild tune

#15 Spridget

Spridget

In a shed, doing maths

• Platinum Members
  • 1,842 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Southwest
  • TCCA Name:spridget
  • My Car:1996 Ford Taurus SHO
  • Engine:3.4L V8

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

Keep in mind that the "family car" now includes SUVs, CUVs, and crossovers. Belt lines are higher for side impact protection. That makes the greenhouse look and feel smaller. The nose is taller and flatter to reduce injuries to pedestrians.That pushes the windscreen up and back, again making the greenhouse feel smaller. The majority of mainstream vehicles are just bigger. Detroit and Hollywood pushed us into blingy boats for years, and this is the aftermath. Manufacturers push new tech and consumers demand it. All that crap has to go somewhere... it adds weight and reduces usable space.

Taurus will never go back to the mid-size platform.
Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Repeat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users