Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club

Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club!
If you are not a member, registering to our forum is easy! To get immediate access to everything we have to offer, click here to register and get started! If you're already a memeber, sign in here.

Registering gives you access to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • List your car in the Garage for everybody to see your car and it's mods
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Buy and sell parts in the Marketplace
  • Take part in the car meets and events each year
  • And much more!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Need Some Contour Help. No Power To Fuel Pump Fuse

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Vash

Vash

Northern Pres/ Resident Car Hoarder

• Platinum Members
  • 2,529 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Northern Central
  • My Car:00 Sable LS, 97 Sable LS
  • Engine:Duratec X2

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

Got the car all back together it ran for a second on residual fuel from the injectors and thats it. Was trying to bleed the fuel line and realized the fuel pump wasnt running. Broke out the test light to find no power to the fuse, though it is grounded... so it would seem i have a short to ground someplace, now i would try to figure out the wiring diagrams i have but they are for a mondeo (i think, the ones for the windows and stuff are for a mondeo), not sure how similar the wiring is.

the car is a 97, the computer is from the 97, the harnesses are from the 98 and are from an auto, this car is MTX...

any insight or ideas would be great! thanks guys!

Chris V. Paynesville, MN Northern Chapter President    Is There Really Such A Thing As Too Many Cars??
~ 00 Sable LS Premium - Chestnut Brown - Roush Springs, Magnaflow Exhaust, SHO Seats, HIDs, and Much More
~ 04 Volvo S60R AWD - Titanium Gray/Sand Gobi - 300HP Turbo Inline 5 6-speed Manual winter beater - Broken :(
~ 02 Cougar Sport "Hello Cougar"

~ 97 Contour SE - SVT Clone

~ 92 Ranger 4X4 ~ 78 Ranchero 500 ~ 77 RamCharger ~ 04 P71 

#2 Spridget

Spridget

In a shed, doing maths

• Platinum Members
  • 2,043 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Southwest
  • TCCA Name:spridget
  • My Car:1996 Ford Taurus SHO
  • Engine:3.4L V8

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Check the wire harness under the rear seat. I've seen more than one instance where the wire harness was crimped under the seat from the factory and damaged. I forget, was the car running before the repairs?
Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Repeat.

#3 Vash

Vash

• Platinum Members
  • 2,529 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

Yeah the previous owner drove it before the rod bearing spun... So Idk what's up here...

Chris V. Paynesville, MN Northern Chapter President    Is There Really Such A Thing As Too Many Cars??
~ 00 Sable LS Premium - Chestnut Brown - Roush Springs, Magnaflow Exhaust, SHO Seats, HIDs, and Much More
~ 04 Volvo S60R AWD - Titanium Gray/Sand Gobi - 300HP Turbo Inline 5 6-speed Manual winter beater - Broken :(

#4 Vash

Vash

• Platinum Members
  • 2,529 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

No damaged wires under the rear seat.. that's all I had time to check tonight...

#5 machausta

machausta

Stig's fat american cousin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Southeast
  • TCCA Name:machausta
  • My Car:2011 Ford Fusion SE
  • Engine:Duratec 3.0 FFV

Users Awards

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

Is there a high power (underhood) fuse for it, or possibly a fuseable link?

2011 Ford Fusion SE - Candy Red Metallic - 202A Sun & Sync - Appearance Package - 3.0 V6 FFV

#6 TaurusKev

TaurusKev

Post Whore

• Platinum Members
  • 4,652 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Midwest
  • My Car:89 T-Bird SC 95 Taurus LX Wagon and Thunderbird LX 2002 Sable LS Sedan
  • Engine:3.8L Essex V6 Supercharged, 3.8L Essex V6 NA, 4.6L Modular V8, Duratec 3.0L V6 DOHC

Users Awards

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

I don't have a wiring diagram handy for the Contour... BUT! Possibly... Fuel Cut off switch. I wouldn't think it'd wire first, then to fuse for fuel pump, then to fuel pump? Makes no sense since really everything should run though a fuse before anything else. I assume you have a FordContour.org/contour.org forum account? I know when I had my Contour GL (Which I miss so very much), they were helpful with issues I had. I know Contour.org isn't the same as what it was software wise, so I don't know if they are still helpful or not if any of the old members left.
LFSW
I've always been mad
I know I've been mad
Like the most of us, it's very hard to explain why you are mad even if you're not mad.

People embrace mediocrity. That's why the Camry sells so well.

#7 Vash

Vash

• Platinum Members
  • 2,529 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Inertia switch was first thing I checked. I am on contour.org, they have never been very helpful, I posted there a day before here, one person posted.

#8 TaurusKev

TaurusKev

Post Whore

• Platinum Members
  • 4,652 posts
  • My Car:89 T-Bird SC 95 Taurus LX Wagon and Thunderbird LX 2002 Sable LS Sedan
  • Engine:3.8L Essex V6 Supercharged, 3.8L Essex V6 NA, 4.6L Modular V8, Duratec 3.0L V6 DOHC

Users Awards

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, I heard rumors that site went to shit. I left after I got my Taurus, really, everyone was an ass toward the end. Then I lurked, then they did a site update, then I just abandoned it. I couldn't even find stuff I did there anymore.
LFSW
I've always been mad
I know I've been mad
Like the most of us, it's very hard to explain why you are mad even if you're not mad.

People embrace mediocrity. That's why the Camry sells so well.

#9 Spridget

Spridget

In a shed, doing maths

• Platinum Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

Inertia switch was first thing I checked. I am on contour.org, they have never been very helpful, I posted there a day before here, one person posted.

Try FCO. It's generally slower than Contour.org, but the responses are more helpful.

#10 rdh2

rdh2

Devoted Member

• Platinum Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • TCCA Name:rdh2
  • My Car:2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
  • Engine:4.6L

Users Awards

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

Got the car all back together it ran for a second on residual fuel from the injectors and thats it. Was trying to bleed the fuel line and realized the fuel pump wasnt running. Broke out the test light to find no power to the fuse, though it is grounded... so it would seem i have a short to ground someplace, now i would try to figure out the wiring diagrams i have but they are for a mondeo (i think, the ones for the windows and stuff are for a mondeo), not sure how similar the wiring is.

the car is a 97, the computer is from the 97, the harnesses are from the 98 and are from an auto, this car is MTX...

any insight or ideas would be great! thanks guys!

Fuel Pump power is supplied by Fuse 14 in the underhood fuse block. Fuse 14 gets it power through the fuel pump relay which is activated by the PCM.

The 97 and 98 diagrams show the same power flow. I suggest you see if the relay is working and if not, check for input from the PCM. The PCM supplies a ground signal to the Fuel Pump Relay. Check the FP Relay for +12v and a ground. You can also have someone turn the key while you are touching the relay to "feel" if its working. If the relay is working check for +12v in and out of the relay.

Attached File  1997 Eng Compt Fuse.jpg   232.7KB   10 downloads

Attached File  1998 Eng Compt Fuse.jpg   189.91KB   4 downloads
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Spridget

Spridget

In a shed, doing maths

• Platinum Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Did you forget the PCM ground wire at the connector? Weird things happen when that's left disconnected.

#12 Vash

Vash

• Platinum Members
  • 2,529 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

Nope that ones good... I made sure to double check that one though. I will check the relay next, I tried at least 3 of them in there, but obviosly if they are not getting power then its not going to do a Dang thing. Just wish I had more time to diagnose this thing, thanks for the help so far guys!

#13 Spridget

Spridget

In a shed, doing maths

• Platinum Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

How's the wire insulation under the power distribution box? Are there little red flakes everywhere? If the insulation is gone the wires will short to the frame.

#14 Guest_Shadowfax_*

Guest_Shadowfax_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

If you got the computer and such from a car with an automatic, and put it in a car with a standard, that could be your problem. Mixing years and types of trannies aren't something the computers like.

#15 Vash

Vash

• Platinum Members
  • 2,529 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Like my first post said the computer is from the 97...

#16 Vash

Vash

• Platinum Members
  • 2,529 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Luke the wires were Flaked but only up by the battery, I will double check down lower.

#17 Guest_Shadowfax_*

Guest_Shadowfax_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

The harnesses should be from a '97 and from a manual tranny car, too. Even a model year can make a difference.

#18 Vash

Vash

• Platinum Members
  • 2,529 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

The harnesses should be from a '97 and from a manual tranny car, too. Even a model year can make a difference.

I know this exact swap has been done before. In fact it was by Spridget above. 97 computer with a 98 atx harness. These cars have major issues with the insulation on the wiring harnesses flaking off. This 98 harness is far better than my 97 harness was. Now if I can find which pin from the Pcm signals the relay I should easily be able to do a continuity test on the harness itself, and also make sure its not shorted to the body or another wire in the harness.

#19 rdh2

rdh2

Devoted Member

• Platinum Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • TCCA Name:rdh2
  • My Car:2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
  • Engine:4.6L

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Looks like Pin 80 on the PCM supplies ground the FP relay on both the 97 and 98.

Attached File  WD_Ford_305464 97 Contour ECM-FP RLY.pdf   13.66KB   1 downloads
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Spridget

Spridget

In a shed, doing maths

• Platinum Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

You are correct about model year differences. There were many revisions to the Contiques during production. However, I performed a similar swap a few years ago in my '97 MTX using a later ATX harness. The only difference was some extra connectors for the transmission. The rest of the pinouts from thethe PCM were the same. My '97 sufferred from the dreaded flaky insulation too. I had to replace almost every wire under the hood.

Chris, check the big 3 connectors next to the PCM if you haven't already. They can be difficult to fully seat. I don't think that would cause this issue though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users