• Announcements

• Devin

Sean T. is the new TSOC President!   03/27/16

As some of you may know, I started this forum back in 2010 in response to TCCA being sold to AutoGuide. I originally made this forum and called it the Taurus Club of Michigan (or something like that) purely as a joke, except a bunch of members from TCCA started joining. We eventually changed the name to the Taurus and Sable Owners Club, and we instantly started getting tons of signups from TCCA members in search of a new forum to join.  I only had my Taurus for about 6 months, and have moved on to the Mopar side. After 6 years, it seems weird for me to be president of TSOC. So as of today, I am 'stepping down' as President of the club and hereby hand the title of TSOC President to Sean T! I would say that most of you already know who he is, and I think he will do a great job as TSOC President. I will remain an admin of the forum and will continue to manage the server and forum software. Sean will be taking over all other responsibilities, including being in charge of the TSOC donations and money management. I will continue to pay for domain renewals, forum license renewals, and any other forum expenses, with Seans approval. Everybody please welcome Sean as the new President! Click here to view the full thread. ->
    • Devin

Donation/Membership Benefits Changed   03/29/16

As of today, the benefits for each donation level has been updated to improve our members experience on the forums. Be sure to check out the new benefits, and if you haven't already, please donate! Your donations help keep the forum running, and give you a better online experience.  Click here to see the changes and how to donate!  
    • Sean TT

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at TaurusOwners@gmail.com and he can reset your password.
Skyflite

What Weight Of Oil For 2002 Sable?

15 posts in this topic

Was just wondering what weight of oil should I use for my 2002 Sable GS with 3.0 V/6? On the oil filler tube it says 5W-20. I live in west central Arkansas where it gets sometimes 100 plus in the summer and sometimes right at zero in the winter. My driving is mainly around town with occassional trips out of town. In the past I've been a big fan of 10W-30 oil but want to really baby my Sable and do what's right for it. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Duratec engine (24 Valves)? How many miles?

The original recomandations for that engine were 10W-30. Because of new fuel efficiency standards, Ford lowered that to 5W-20. Personally I don't think they change nothing in the engine, so basically they pass the federal standards based on increasing wear on their clients engines.

To protect at start-ups and in low temperatures you need to go as low as possible with the first number. 5W is good if it comes from a syntethic oil. 0W syntethic would be even better. The standard oils will have to be additivated so much to get there, that at 2000 miles they will loose the additives and become more like 15W or even 20W...

For the second number - represents vascosity of the oil at operating temperatures. Oil will get close to the water temperature regardless how hot is outside.

I did use till recently 5W30. Now, because I am at almost 180k miles I decided to try 5W40 (Shell Rotella T6) and I like the way the engine sounds with it.It's there to stay.

Edited by SoNic

5W-30 in the Vulcan, Runs better. 5W-20 is like piss water.

My engine is the standard 3.0 Vulcan. Think I'll go with the 5W-30 as the engine has 123,000 miles on it. Maybe when it hits the 150,000 mark might go with the 5W-40 Shell Rotella. I used to work at the Wally World automotive department (it's been 8 years and I've slept some since then) and a lot of folks swore by the 5W-30. Do any of the high mileage oils work any better?

0w-30 mobil1 synthetic in my 97 vulcan. Was running motorcraft syn blend 5-30 and when winter came I figured the 0w was probably better for the engine.

0wxx would be good for cold starts, yes. I use Castrol edge 0w-20 in my Focus for that reason. My Jeep gets Rotella 5w-40.

I would try to stay close to the manufacture's recommendations for oil weight. If the engine is designed for 5w-20 and you run 5w-40 in it ... you're going to have lubrication issues. Flow, not pressure, determines lubrication.

I run 10/W30 on my duratecs and Vulcan.

They all have a lot of mileage on them.

The 20 weight was invented to reduce friction and help meet CAFE standards. Not to protect the engine.

Mike

B)

0wxx would be good for cold starts, yes. I use Castrol edge 0w-20 in my Focus for that reason. My Jeep gets Rotella 5w-40.

I would try to stay close to the manufacture's recommendations for oil weight. If the engine is designed for 5w-20 and you run 5w-40 in it ... you're going to have lubrication issues. Flow, not pressure, determines lubrication.

If 0w-50 was available it would not harm the engine and would not pose a lubrication issue. Heavier oils have more cling and higher pressure tolerances. It would put more drag on the crank but would protect the bearings better than a thinner oil. Flow does not determine lubrication. Lubrication is determined by the physical properties of the lubricant molecule. Thinner multi-weight oils were developed for better fuel mileage. Multi-weight oils behave like thinner oil at cold temperatures which helps protection at startup by getting the oil up to reciprocating parts sooner and increase in viscosity as temps rise to maintain protection. Thinner oils do not cling to cylinder walls as long so a cold engine (has been sitting) will have less protection and lubricant as its all drained into the pan. Multi-weight oils offer the cold start benefit of thin oil with the high temp protection of heavier oil.

5w-20 has the same cold properties of cold 5w-40. Run 0w-20 in a diesel and you'll ruin it. Higher compression needs heavier oil. Sure it will get oil through the pump faster on cold starts but it doesn't offer the protection required for longevity.

I run a 5W-30 blend on both cars. Valvoline in the Ford, Castrol in the Chevy.

5W-20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend or 5W-30 full synthetic is what I run and I am at 219,000 on the original engine on my '02 Vulcan.

5W-20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend or 5W-30 full synthetic is what I run and I am at 219,000 on the original engine on my '02 Vulcan.

Was just wondering if the brand name of the oil makes any difference? I've used Quaker State and Castrol in the past plus Pennzoil.

Was just wondering if the brand name of the oil makes any difference? I've used Quaker State and Castrol in the past plus Pennzoil.

Whenever I use full synthetic, I get whatever is on sale at Advance. Its usually Castrol, Valvoline, or Quaker State.

I've been using Mobil super 2000, it's alot easier than mobil1 on the wallet which is almost 50 bucksblink.gif. It's a syn blend btw.

I use walmarts super tech synthetic 10w-30 in all my vehicles and motorcraft filters in the Fords. Occasionally I use another brand full synth if its on sale. It rarely gets below freezing here but regularly above 100 in the summer.

A word about Wal-Mart brand oil, at least the synthetic one.

It is made by one of two companies, Warren Petroleum Products (WPP), and Shell Oil Products US (SOPUS) Either way, it is a bargan.

When i do my own oil i normally get Mobil Super 5000, and a Motorcraft FL400S filter (when i did it on the sable, i presume the 2003 sable i have uses a FL400S as well) Costs me about 15 bucks and it is good oil.

Personaly i would say in a warmer climate 10W30 would not be bad at all, 5W30 in a colder northeast type climate, and 0W30 in siberia like climates, aka north dakota.