Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club

Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club!
If you are not a member, registering to our forum is easy! To get immediate access to everything we have to offer, click here to register and get started! If you're already a memeber, sign in here.

Registering gives you access to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • List your car in the Garage for everybody to see your car and it's mods
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Buy and sell parts in the Marketplace
  • Take part in the car meets and events each year
  • And much more!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

2004 Taurus Dohc: P0430 / Water Pump / Starter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bull Geek

Bull Geek

At the junkyard, again...

• Administrators
  • 4,393 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Southeast
  • My Car:2000 Ford Taurus SEL
  • Engine:3.0 Duratec V6 DOHC

Users Awards

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:20 PM

Hi y'all...coworker has a 2004 DOHC Taurus w/119K miles.

He said the CEL was on, told him to go get the code scanned at AutoZone: P0430.

I cleared the code with my ScanGauge a few days later, but it came right back after restarting the car. I looked over all the vacuum lines, all are in good shape, no cracks (much better design than the older DOHC engines btw!).

Not that this should matter, but the car has a new alternator and a new AC compressor (within the last year on both).

While checking the pulleys, I think I witnessed the water pump pulley looking wobbly. Not sure if it's just a disfigured pulley or it is truely wobly. I can take a video recording to help if that will do any good?

The starter in the car also grinds on the 1st try to start. If you then start the car with your foot on the brake pedal a second time, it fires up no problem. Bizaro car...

So questions:
1) What else do I need to check/verify for P0430
2) Is a 2004 DOHC water pump a PITA to change (I don't have reference material past a 2003 DOHC)
3) Are 2004 DOHC starters known to have issues?

Thanks.

-Nick M. - Columbia, SC
post-13-0-17878000-1405897709.jpg

--Silver Frost M/C 2000 Ford Taurus SEL DOHC 3.0L V6/AX4N | 198K | 3/9/2000 

--True Blue M/C M/C 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature | 55K | 4.6 V8 | 4/2002 
--Beige 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park Wagon | 5.0 V8/AOD | 173K | 5/90

--Ugly 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | 5.0 V8/AOD | 303K | ??/??

#2 ilh

ilh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Not Enrolled
  • TCCA Name:ilh
  • My Car:2000 SE
  • Engine:Duratec 24V

Users Awards

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

The starter in the car also grinds on the 1st try to start. If you then start the car with your foot on the brake pedal a second time, it fires up no problem. Bizaro car...

Don't think the brake pedal fixes the starter problem. Sounds like the solenoid isn't sending the gear out far enough. Basically time to rebuild/replace the starter before it creates dead spots on the flexplate.

#3 Vash

Vash

Northern Pres/ Resident Car Hoarder

• Platinum Members
  • 2,529 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Northern Central
  • My Car:00 Sable LS, 97 Sable LS
  • Engine:Duratec X2

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:01 AM

if i remember right i had a P0430 (P0400 codes are emissions related) and it was a bad DPFE sensor.

edit: i think my code may have been a P0440 not sure it was a P0400 series code though

the waterpump is going to be the same procedure as the 03 except that the 04 does not have a belt tensioner, you will have to carefully pry it off (dont hit the positive battery terminal when doing so... ask me how i know...) or stuff something in there and start the engine to dislodge the belt. which pulley is it? the one on the pump or the one on the camshaft? a video couldnt hurt

as for the starter issue it could be the starter solenoid or it could be an issue with the teeth on either the starter or the ring gear on the flexplate. engines stop in one of 3 places and those spots can get worn down or damaged and cause the starter to grind. the starter on a duratec is not too hard to pull off to inspect things. advice though remove the electrical connectors before unbolting the starter.

Chris V. Paynesville, MN Northern Chapter President    Is There Really Such A Thing As Too Many Cars??
~ 00 Sable LS Premium - Chestnut Brown - Roush Springs, Magnaflow Exhaust, SHO Seats, HIDs, and Much More
~ 04 Volvo S60R AWD - Titanium Gray/Sand Gobi - 300HP Turbo Inline 5 6-speed Manual winter beater - Broken :(
~ 02 Cougar Sport "Hello Cougar"

~ 97 Contour SE - SVT Clone

~ 92 Ranger 4X4 ~ 78 Ranchero 500 ~ 77 RamCharger ~ 04 P71 

#4 Spridget

Spridget

In a shed, doing maths

• Platinum Members
  • 2,045 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Southwest
  • TCCA Name:spridget
  • My Car:1996 Ford Taurus SHO
  • Engine:3.4L V8

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

P0420 / P0430 are codes for downstream O2 sensors. P0430 is bank 2. The code is intended to point to a failing catalytic converter. Often it's just the O2 sensor that is failing. You can try swapping the sensors from bank to bank. Clear codes. If code returns with P0420 you've isolated the sensor. If code returns as P0430, you have a failing cat.
Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Repeat.

#5 Bull Geek

Bull Geek

At the junkyard, again...

• Administrators
  • 4,393 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Southeast
  • My Car:2000 Ford Taurus SEL
  • Engine:3.0 Duratec V6 DOHC

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

Ok cool, I'll tell the Indian guy to take it to the shop and have them swap around the O2 sensors, see if the code moves.

I also need to clean the battery terminal connections they are foamy white.

I'll videotape the water pump tomorrow after work.

Thanks guys!

-Nick M. - Columbia, SC
post-13-0-17878000-1405897709.jpg

--Silver Frost M/C 2000 Ford Taurus SEL DOHC 3.0L V6/AX4N | 198K | 3/9/2000 

--True Blue M/C M/C 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature | 55K | 4.6 V8 | 4/2002 
--Beige 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park Wagon | 5.0 V8/AOD | 173K | 5/90

--Ugly 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | 5.0 V8/AOD | 303K | ??/??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users