Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club

Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club!
If you are not a member, registering to our forum is easy! To get immediate access to everything we have to offer, click here to register and get started! If you're already a memeber, sign in here.

Registering gives you access to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • List your car in the Garage for everybody to see your car and it's mods
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Buy and sell parts in the Marketplace
  • Take part in the car meets and events each year
  • And much more!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Changing 2001 Taurus Lx A/c Compressor Pulley

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldad

oldad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Not Enrolled
  • My Car:2001 Taurus LX
  • Engine:3.0L V6 OHV

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:36 AM

Hi All, I'm new to this site although I've read many of the posts. Anyway, I actually have two 2001 Taurus's: one an LX & the other an SE, both with over 180,000 miles. I Believe the SE has a bad fuel pump(cranks and won't catch unless we spray some starter fluid up the intake). Anyway, recently our LX (3.0L, V6 OHV) started making a loud noise from the engine compartment. The Taurus SE had also just started to make a similar sound not to long before the fuel pump died. Anyway I posted the video's on you tube under: 2001 Taurus LX Engine sounds loud (V6 3.0 auto with a/c:) http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu and another video with the serpentine belt off: http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu. The consensus of those who viewed the 2 viedos (and there is also one posted showing the SE engine noise) is that there is a bad pulley bearing. I have changed out the idler pulley & tensioner pulley but thew sound is there. When the serpentine belt is removed the loud noise seems to go away so it would appear that the bad pulley/bearing is probably correct. The water pump pulley turns fine in both directions. I cannot turn the a/c pulley much at all(by hand) and I am inclined to think that is the trouble. The air conditioner pumps out cold air so I think the a/c compressor is fine. I have been told that it is possible to change out the a/c clutch pulley assembly without having to discharge the a/c system & I am ready to do so. I am also aware that there are two methods to doing so. One method is to access the a/c compressor from the top, and the other method is to jack up the car and un-bolt the sub-frame. Can anyone here tell me what would be the easiest? I am not a mechanic by trade but I have had to work on cars a lot. However, when I hear "dropping the sub-frame" it sounds a little intimidating. If anyone has the steps to either method I would appreciate if you could post them. Also, if you happen to have pictures that would be even better. All the input is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for advice and assistance.

#2 Harold

Harold

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • My Car:2001 Taurus SE
  • Engine:3.0 Flex Fuel

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

Hi All, I'm new to this site although I've read many of the posts. Anyway, I actually have two 2001 Taurus's: one an LX & the other an SE, both with over 180,000 miles. I Believe the SE has a bad fuel pump(cranks and won't catch unless we spray some starter fluid up the intake). Anyway, recently our LX (3.0L, V6 OHV) started making a loud noise from the engine compartment. The Taurus SE had also just started to make a similar sound not to long before the fuel pump died. Anyway I posted the video's on you tube under: 2001 Taurus LX Engine sounds loud (V6 3.0 auto with a/c:) http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu and another video with the serpentine belt off: http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu. The consensus of those who viewed the 2 viedos (and there is also one posted showing the SE engine noise) is that there is a bad pulley bearing. I have changed out the idler pulley & tensioner pulley but thew sound is there. When the serpentine belt is removed the loud noise seems to go away so it would appear that the bad pulley/bearing is probably correct. The water pump pulley turns fine in both directions. I cannot turn the a/c pulley much at all(by hand) and I am inclined to think that is the trouble. The air conditioner pumps out cold air so I think the a/c compressor is fine. I have been told that it is possible to change out the a/c clutch pulley assembly without having to discharge the a/c system & I am ready to do so. I am also aware that there are two methods to doing so. One method is to access the a/c compressor from the top, and the other method is to jack up the car and un-bolt the sub-frame. Can anyone here tell me what would be the easiest? I am not a mechanic by trade but I have had to work on cars a lot. However, when I hear "dropping the sub-frame" it sounds a little intimidating. If anyone has the steps to either method I would appreciate if you could post them. Also, if you happen to have pictures that would be even better. All the input is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for advice and assistance.

A few years ago, my Taurus started making a noise that sounded a lot like an engine bearing. I used a mechanic's stethoscope (the kind with a long thin rod that you touch to the surface you want to listen to) and found it was the AC clutch bearing. I have a freind who works at a dealer and does side work, and he changed it out without dropping the subframe. I don't know the details of how he did it, but after changing the part the the noise went away.

#3 oldad

oldad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

Did the job yesterday with my son. Dropped the subframe. It was the a/c clutch pulley bearing. Dropped the sub-frame. I know I am old but it took a long time. But at least it is done.! Thanks to all!

A few years ago, my Taurus started making a noise that sounded a lot like an engine bearing. I used a mechanic's stethoscope (the kind with a long thin rod that you touch to the surface you want to listen to) and found it was the AC clutch bearing. I have a freind who works at a dealer and does side work, and he changed it out without dropping the subframe. I don't know the details of how he did it, but after changing the part the the noise went away.

#4 2005silverse

2005silverse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:New England
  • TCCA Name:2005silverse
  • My Car:2005 taurus se
  • Engine:3.0 vulcan v6 ohv

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

wouldnt you be able to replace the clutch pulley on the vehicle and with out evcauating the freon ?

#5 oldad

oldad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

wouldnt you be able to replace the clutch pulley on the vehicle and with out evcauating the freon ?

Yeah, we did the a/c pulley change by dropping the sub-frame so we could get access to the a/c pulley. That way we didn't have to evacuate the Freon from the a/c system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users