• Announcements

• Devin

Sean T. is the new TSOC President!   03/27/16

As some of you may know, I started this forum back in 2010 in response to TCCA being sold to AutoGuide. I originally made this forum and called it the Taurus Club of Michigan (or something like that) purely as a joke, except a bunch of members from TCCA started joining. We eventually changed the name to the Taurus and Sable Owners Club, and we instantly started getting tons of signups from TCCA members in search of a new forum to join.  I only had my Taurus for about 6 months, and have moved on to the Mopar side. After 6 years, it seems weird for me to be president of TSOC. So as of today, I am 'stepping down' as President of the club and hereby hand the title of TSOC President to Sean T! I would say that most of you already know who he is, and I think he will do a great job as TSOC President. I will remain an admin of the forum and will continue to manage the server and forum software. Sean will be taking over all other responsibilities, including being in charge of the TSOC donations and money management. I will continue to pay for domain renewals, forum license renewals, and any other forum expenses, with Seans approval. Everybody please welcome Sean as the new President! Click here to view the full thread. ->
    • Devin

Donation/Membership Benefits Changed   03/29/16

As of today, the benefits for each donation level has been updated to improve our members experience on the forums. Be sure to check out the new benefits, and if you haven't already, please donate! Your donations help keep the forum running, and give you a better online experience.  Click here to see the changes and how to donate!  
    • Sean TT

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at TaurusOwners@gmail.com and he can reset your password.
oldad

Changing 2001 Taurus Lx A/c Compressor Pulley

5 posts in this topic

Hi All, I'm new to this site although I've read many of the posts. Anyway, I actually have two 2001 Taurus's: one an LX & the other an SE, both with over 180,000 miles. I Believe the SE has a bad fuel pump(cranks and won't catch unless we spray some starter fluid up the intake). Anyway, recently our LX (3.0L, V6 OHV) started making a loud noise from the engine compartment. The Taurus SE had also just started to make a similar sound not to long before the fuel pump died. Anyway I posted the video's on you tube under: 2001 Taurus LX Engine sounds loud (V6 3.0 auto with a/c:)

and another video with the serpentine belt off:
. The consensus of those who viewed the 2 viedos (and there is also one posted showing the SE engine noise) is that there is a bad pulley bearing. I have changed out the idler pulley & tensioner pulley but thew sound is there. When the serpentine belt is removed the loud noise seems to go away so it would appear that the bad pulley/bearing is probably correct. The water pump pulley turns fine in both directions. I cannot turn the a/c pulley much at all(by hand) and I am inclined to think that is the trouble. The air conditioner pumps out cold air so I think the a/c compressor is fine. I have been told that it is possible to change out the a/c clutch pulley assembly without having to discharge the a/c system & I am ready to do so. I am also aware that there are two methods to doing so. One method is to access the a/c compressor from the top, and the other method is to jack up the car and un-bolt the sub-frame. Can anyone here tell me what would be the easiest? I am not a mechanic by trade but I have had to work on cars a lot. However, when I hear "dropping the sub-frame" it sounds a little intimidating. If anyone has the steps to either method I would appreciate if you could post them. Also, if you happen to have pictures that would be even better. All the input is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for advice and assistance.

Hi All, I'm new to this site although I've read many of the posts. Anyway, I actually have two 2001 Taurus's: one an LX & the other an SE, both with over 180,000 miles. I Believe the SE has a bad fuel pump(cranks and won't catch unless we spray some starter fluid up the intake). Anyway, recently our LX (3.0L, V6 OHV) started making a loud noise from the engine compartment. The Taurus SE had also just started to make a similar sound not to long before the fuel pump died. Anyway I posted the video's on you tube under: 2001 Taurus LX Engine sounds loud (V6 3.0 auto with a/c:)

and another video with the serpentine belt off:
. The consensus of those who viewed the 2 viedos (and there is also one posted showing the SE engine noise) is that there is a bad pulley bearing. I have changed out the idler pulley & tensioner pulley but thew sound is there. When the serpentine belt is removed the loud noise seems to go away so it would appear that the bad pulley/bearing is probably correct. The water pump pulley turns fine in both directions. I cannot turn the a/c pulley much at all(by hand) and I am inclined to think that is the trouble. The air conditioner pumps out cold air so I think the a/c compressor is fine. I have been told that it is possible to change out the a/c clutch pulley assembly without having to discharge the a/c system & I am ready to do so. I am also aware that there are two methods to doing so. One method is to access the a/c compressor from the top, and the other method is to jack up the car and un-bolt the sub-frame. Can anyone here tell me what would be the easiest? I am not a mechanic by trade but I have had to work on cars a lot. However, when I hear "dropping the sub-frame" it sounds a little intimidating. If anyone has the steps to either method I would appreciate if you could post them. Also, if you happen to have pictures that would be even better. All the input is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for advice and assistance.

A few years ago, my Taurus started making a noise that sounded a lot like an engine bearing. I used a mechanic's stethoscope (the kind with a long thin rod that you touch to the surface you want to listen to) and found it was the AC clutch bearing. I have a freind who works at a dealer and does side work, and he changed it out without dropping the subframe. I don't know the details of how he did it, but after changing the part the the noise went away.

Did the job yesterday with my son. Dropped the subframe. It was the a/c clutch pulley bearing. Dropped the sub-frame. I know I am old but it took a long time. But at least it is done.! Thanks to all!

A few years ago, my Taurus started making a noise that sounded a lot like an engine bearing. I used a mechanic's stethoscope (the kind with a long thin rod that you touch to the surface you want to listen to) and found it was the AC clutch bearing. I have a freind who works at a dealer and does side work, and he changed it out without dropping the subframe. I don't know the details of how he did it, but after changing the part the the noise went away.

wouldnt you be able to replace the clutch pulley on the vehicle and with out evcauating the freon ?

wouldnt you be able to replace the clutch pulley on the vehicle and with out evcauating the freon ?

Yeah, we did the a/c pulley change by dropping the sub-frame so we could get access to the a/c pulley. That way we didn't have to evacuate the Freon from the a/c system.