Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club

Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club!
If you are not a member, registering to our forum is easy! To get immediate access to everything we have to offer, click here to register and get started! If you're already a memeber, sign in here.

Registering gives you access to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • List your car in the Garage for everybody to see your car and it's mods
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Buy and sell parts in the Marketplace
  • Take part in the car meets and events each year
  • And much more!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

It's that time of year again! Hosting renewal is due!

Donations are needed to help keep the forum running! Here's how to donate, and what you'll get in return for helping!

We're really close! If you've already donated, thank you! If you haven't, would you consider helping support the forum? We're independently run and funded purely by member donations. Your support is greatly appreciated!

Changing 2001 Taurus Lx A/c Compressor Pulley

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldad

oldad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Not Enrolled
  • My Car:2001 Taurus LX
  • Engine:3.0L V6 OHV

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:36 AM

Hi All, I'm new to this site although I've read many of the posts. Anyway, I actually have two 2001 Taurus's: one an LX & the other an SE, both with over 180,000 miles. I Believe the SE has a bad fuel pump(cranks and won't catch unless we spray some starter fluid up the intake). Anyway, recently our LX (3.0L, V6 OHV) started making a loud noise from the engine compartment. The Taurus SE had also just started to make a similar sound not to long before the fuel pump died. Anyway I posted the video's on you tube under: 2001 Taurus LX Engine sounds loud (V6 3.0 auto with a/c:) http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu and another video with the serpentine belt off: http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu. The consensus of those who viewed the 2 viedos (and there is also one posted showing the SE engine noise) is that there is a bad pulley bearing. I have changed out the idler pulley & tensioner pulley but thew sound is there. When the serpentine belt is removed the loud noise seems to go away so it would appear that the bad pulley/bearing is probably correct. The water pump pulley turns fine in both directions. I cannot turn the a/c pulley much at all(by hand) and I am inclined to think that is the trouble. The air conditioner pumps out cold air so I think the a/c compressor is fine. I have been told that it is possible to change out the a/c clutch pulley assembly without having to discharge the a/c system & I am ready to do so. I am also aware that there are two methods to doing so. One method is to access the a/c compressor from the top, and the other method is to jack up the car and un-bolt the sub-frame. Can anyone here tell me what would be the easiest? I am not a mechanic by trade but I have had to work on cars a lot. However, when I hear "dropping the sub-frame" it sounds a little intimidating. If anyone has the steps to either method I would appreciate if you could post them. Also, if you happen to have pictures that would be even better. All the input is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for advice and assistance.

#2 Harold

Harold

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • My Car:2001 Taurus SE
  • Engine:3.0 Flex Fuel

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

Hi All, I'm new to this site although I've read many of the posts. Anyway, I actually have two 2001 Taurus's: one an LX & the other an SE, both with over 180,000 miles. I Believe the SE has a bad fuel pump(cranks and won't catch unless we spray some starter fluid up the intake). Anyway, recently our LX (3.0L, V6 OHV) started making a loud noise from the engine compartment. The Taurus SE had also just started to make a similar sound not to long before the fuel pump died. Anyway I posted the video's on you tube under: 2001 Taurus LX Engine sounds loud (V6 3.0 auto with a/c:) http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu and another video with the serpentine belt off: http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu. The consensus of those who viewed the 2 viedos (and there is also one posted showing the SE engine noise) is that there is a bad pulley bearing. I have changed out the idler pulley & tensioner pulley but thew sound is there. When the serpentine belt is removed the loud noise seems to go away so it would appear that the bad pulley/bearing is probably correct. The water pump pulley turns fine in both directions. I cannot turn the a/c pulley much at all(by hand) and I am inclined to think that is the trouble. The air conditioner pumps out cold air so I think the a/c compressor is fine. I have been told that it is possible to change out the a/c clutch pulley assembly without having to discharge the a/c system & I am ready to do so. I am also aware that there are two methods to doing so. One method is to access the a/c compressor from the top, and the other method is to jack up the car and un-bolt the sub-frame. Can anyone here tell me what would be the easiest? I am not a mechanic by trade but I have had to work on cars a lot. However, when I hear "dropping the sub-frame" it sounds a little intimidating. If anyone has the steps to either method I would appreciate if you could post them. Also, if you happen to have pictures that would be even better. All the input is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for advice and assistance.

A few years ago, my Taurus started making a noise that sounded a lot like an engine bearing. I used a mechanic's stethoscope (the kind with a long thin rod that you touch to the surface you want to listen to) and found it was the AC clutch bearing. I have a freind who works at a dealer and does side work, and he changed it out without dropping the subframe. I don't know the details of how he did it, but after changing the part the the noise went away.

#3 oldad

oldad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

Did the job yesterday with my son. Dropped the subframe. It was the a/c clutch pulley bearing. Dropped the sub-frame. I know I am old but it took a long time. But at least it is done.! Thanks to all!

A few years ago, my Taurus started making a noise that sounded a lot like an engine bearing. I used a mechanic's stethoscope (the kind with a long thin rod that you touch to the surface you want to listen to) and found it was the AC clutch bearing. I have a freind who works at a dealer and does side work, and he changed it out without dropping the subframe. I don't know the details of how he did it, but after changing the part the the noise went away.

#4 2005silverse

2005silverse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:New England
  • TCCA Name:2005silverse
  • My Car:2005 taurus se
  • Engine:3.0 vulcan v6 ohv

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

wouldnt you be able to replace the clutch pulley on the vehicle and with out evcauating the freon ?

#5 oldad

oldad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

wouldnt you be able to replace the clutch pulley on the vehicle and with out evcauating the freon ?

Yeah, we did the a/c pulley change by dropping the sub-frame so we could get access to the a/c pulley. That way we didn't have to evacuate the Freon from the a/c system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users