Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club

Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club!
If you are not a member, registering to our forum is easy! To get immediate access to everything we have to offer, click here to register and get started! If you're already a memeber, sign in here.

Registering gives you access to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • List your car in the Garage for everybody to see your car and it's mods
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Buy and sell parts in the Marketplace
  • Take part in the car meets and events each year
  • And much more!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

2000 Taurus (24V)- (Code P1237) & Fuel Pump-Which One?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 tmeans

tmeans

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Not Enrolled
  • My Car:1998 SHO, 2000 SES
  • Engine:3.4L & 3.0 dohc

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LENGTH, I JUST WANT TO GIVE EVERYONE A FULL DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ

I have a 2000 TAURUS - DOHC 24V. I have gotten the infamous Code P1237 FUEL Secondary failure starting in 3/2010, checked eveything & ended up & decided in replacing the Fuel Pump Driver Module. ALL was well till this past week & whamo......ITS BACK NOW It is doing the SAME THING (again), only thing left that has not been replaced is the F. Pump. This HAS HAPPENED 4 TIMES NOW & TOW BILLS ARE NOT CHEAP !!!

(2) of the times after having it flatbedded home, OF COURSE it started right up, so there was 2 tow bills that added FUEL to the fire. And with the "other" 2 tows, well could have had it diagnosed/repaired (dare I say.....from Ford......) So it seems my issue is INTERMITTENT.??.. Of course as of right now its running perfectly, BUT with my luck as soon as I drive it, rest assured you can bet $ it will die again. With it running, I am unable to verifying any wiring issues. All fuses AND relays have been replaced, and as I stated, the actual Fuel Pump Driver Module has been replaced as well (Fords infinate wisdom places it in the trunk behind the RH rear seat back (a real pain, unless you have EXTREMELY Small hands). With what I have paid in Tow Bills, I could have paid FULL BLOWN Retail for a complete fuel pump assembly. At any rate, any suggestions on where to go next?? I am thinking of replacing the fuel pump. I have a pretty nice scan tool, and the code P1237 is currently in "PENDING" according to my scan tool. With it now running, ALL of the PID values are right where they should fall into in their values. I have hit bumps/potholes, thinking I have have a short somewhere, but it does'nt do anything. Two of the times it was placed on a rollback & towed home, it fired right up after it was droped from the angle of the rollback unloading the car. I cannot duplicate it, by driving on a steep hill or grade. So right now I am at a loss.

As far as Fuel Pumps go, I have always been under the impression, that when they die, thats it. I have never seen one stop & then "Start" working again. Not sure if it has anything to do with the "Electronic Returnless Fuel Line system" Is That Possible??? Work....Stop.....Work again...??

NOW GETTING TO THE FORD REPLACEMENT FUEL PUMP MODULE: FORD Lists (2) DIFFERENT pumps for the DOHV 24V 3.0L, a "White" Label AND a "RED" Label. Is there any way to tell which one I need WITHOUT dropping the tank BEFORE I ORDER ONE?? If I drop the tank, will it have either a "RED" or "WHITE" Label ON the top of the Fuel Pump Assembly?Posted Image

Also, The Local Part
stores ALSO want to know if I have a 16 OR an 18 Gallon Tank?.......HOW can I tell which is a 16 gallon vs. an 18 gallon Fuel Tank???

I AM AT MY WHITS END.........PLEASE HELP !!!

PS: YES- FP Relay & assoc Fuses also checked Posted Image

PLEASE & Thanks for any HELP !!!

You can Email me [email protected] OR Email me at [email protected]

#2 Rusty

Rusty

WARNING: Viewing my posts may be harmful to your mental health

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Mid-Atlantic
  • TCCA Name:snoopy2003taurus
  • My Car:2003 Taurus SEL
  • Engine:3.0 24V

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

Welcome to TSOC.

I have seen FPs work intermittently (SP?) and the usual cause is in fact the FP itself, or the relay. You said you have already checked the relays, so I would go with FP in my gut, currently. You have a 24V, likely it's an 18g tank. Not sure how to tell which label it is, never heard that when I priced one out for mine a while back, but maybe it was different in '00.

Hope this helps somewhat, and hope you can get her figured out.

Posted Image

Well there ain't no shame in a job well done, from drivin' a nail to drivin' a truck!

As a matter of fact I'd like to set things straight: A few more people should be pullin' their weight!

If you want a cram course in reality, you get yourself a workin' man's PH. D.!

#3 Bull Geek

Bull Geek

At the junkyard, again...

• Administrators
  • 4,298 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Southeast
  • My Car:2000 Ford Taurus SEL
  • Engine:3.0 Duratec V6 DOHC

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

2000s usually had 16 gallon except the latter built ones, say May/June 2000. Can the dealer parts dept identify which fuel pump you would need as a replacement?

-Nick M. - Columbia, SC
post-13-0-17878000-1405897709.jpg

--Silver Frost M/C 2000 Ford Taurus SEL DOHC 3.0L V6/AX4N | 198K | 3/9/2000 

--True Blue M/C M/C 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature | 55K | 4.6 V8 | 4/2002 
--Beige 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park Wagon | 5.0 V8/AOD | 173K | 5/90

--Ugly 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | 5.0 V8/AOD | 303K | ??/??

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

2000s usually had 16 gallon except the latter built ones, say May/June 2000. Can the dealer parts dept identify which fuel pump you would need as a replacement?

Should be able to with the VIN, I would assume.

Posted Image

Well there ain't no shame in a job well done, from drivin' a nail to drivin' a truck!

As a matter of fact I'd like to set things straight: A few more people should be pullin' their weight!

#5 tmeans

tmeans

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. Unfortunately the "RED" or "WHITE" label (even with the VIN given) is NO help at Ford dealers (go figure) What i don't understand, if I look at aftermarket pumps, they show only the ONE replacement...??? Just adds to my confusion. I guess I will have to wait till it dies again to troubleshoot it then, or bite the bullet & drop the tank, just to see if in fact it has a RED or a WHITE label. If anyone else can shed some light on this subject.......PLEASE DO SO!!!! Thanks guys for your help thus far. PS: They do show a 3rd pump, BUT IT IS FOR FLEX FUEL (NOT MY APP)

#6 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

Hmm. Wonder if it's red and white for both Duratecs, or if one is the 24V, and the other is the other...

Posted Image

#7 tmeans

tmeans

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

Thats exactly what I was thinking too. But if you go onto any FORD parts website, say like (as an example: silverstatefordparts.com) & go to the fuel parts section, even though you enter in the "S" code for tthe 24V, comes up with both RED & WHITE selection to make. All of the Ford Dealers use the same basic website design & breakdown on their parts websites. I talked with my local guy (a good friend) & he has been working Ford Parts for 15+ years & even he had no idea......so the SAGA continues...........Keep any AND ALL SUGGESTIONS COMING.....PLEASE THANKS......TONY

#8 tmeans

tmeans

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

BY THE WAY: My Build DATE is 7/2000 Thanks Tony

#9 tRus03

tRus03

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • TCCA Name:tRus03
  • My Car:2003 Ford Taurus SEL Centennial Edition
  • Engine:3.0 V6 DOHC

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

Maybe the red and white labels have to do with if you have the 16 or the 18 gallon fuel tank? Also, I had an intermittent stalling problem with my 03. Sometimes it would run great, and then there were a few times where it stalled out. I would wait about ten minutes or so and it fired right up. I had the fuel pump replaced about a month ago, and I haven't had a problem since. However, when I used my scan tool, I had a pending P0191 code.
Posted Image
Matt D.
2003 Ford Taurus SEL Centennial Edition
Built With Pride on 03/26/2003
"If the world ended, the only thing they would find are fossils of Tauruses."

#10 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

Maybe the red and white labels have to do with if you have the 16 or the 18 gallon fuel tank? Also, I had an intermittent stalling problem with my 03. Sometimes it would run great, and then there were a few times where it stalled out. I would wait about ten minutes or so and it fired right up. I had the fuel pump replaced about a month ago, and I haven't had a problem since. However, when I used my scan tool, I had a pending P0191 code.

Was thinking that as well.

BTW, thread jack, saw a Centi roll by the shop today, was that you? LOL

Posted Image

#11 tmeans

tmeans

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

Yea my good scanner is still showing a ("Pending Code P1237). What kills me is right now I cannot even troubleshoot ANYTHING until it quits again...........THERE GOES ANOTHER "C" NOTE TO THE TOW MAN

PS: Not me roll'n by the shop............LOL

#12 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

Yea my good scanner is still showing a ("Pending Code P1237). What kills me is right now I cannot even troubleshoot ANYTHING until it quits again...........THERE GOES ANOTHER "C" NOTE TO THE TOW MAN

PS: Not me roll'n by the shop............LOL

LOL sorry, meant trus haha

Posted Image

#13 tmeans

tmeans

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

I thought of that too. You would think they would AT LEAST tell the parts manager which one is the correct one. Can't trouble shoot anymore till it quits & dies again. As of now everything OK, just a "Pending Code P1237" When mine is down, it can set for days & still not start. Then one day it would??? So far my research is pointing to a new Fuel Pump...BLA BLA BLA

#14 tRus03

tRus03

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • TCCA Name:tRus03
  • My Car:2003 Ford Taurus SEL Centennial Edition
  • Engine:3.0 V6 DOHC

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

Was thinking that as well.

BTW, thread jack, saw a Centi roll by the shop today, was that you? LOL

Nah, wasn't me....those Centennials are a dime a dozen! :P But hopefully we can set up another meet soon so I can drive the Centennial out there to visit!
Posted Image
Matt D.
2003 Ford Taurus SEL Centennial Edition
Built With Pride on 03/26/2003
"If the world ended, the only thing they would find are fossils of Tauruses."

#15 Bull Geek

Bull Geek

At the junkyard, again...

• Administrators
  • 4,298 posts
  • My Car:2000 Ford Taurus SEL
  • Engine:3.0 Duratec V6 DOHC

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

You surely have an 18 gallon tank then just based on that...but the one surefire way to check is to put a jack under the tank, remove the 2 straps and slowly let the tank down...check to see how many vents it has. http://www.taurusclu...k-capacity.html Check that thread out.

-Nick M. - Columbia, SC
post-13-0-17878000-1405897709.jpg

--Silver Frost M/C 2000 Ford Taurus SEL DOHC 3.0L V6/AX4N | 198K | 3/9/2000 

--True Blue M/C M/C 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature | 55K | 4.6 V8 | 4/2002 
--Beige 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park Wagon | 5.0 V8/AOD | 173K | 5/90

--Ugly 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | 5.0 V8/AOD | 303K | ??/??

#16 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

Nah, wasn't me....those Centennials are a dime a dozen! :P But hopefully we can set up another meet soon so I can drive the Centennial out there to visit!

That'd be awesome! We would have the black one and the white one next to eachother, both ends of the color scale LOL.

ok, /thread jack :lol:

Posted Image

#17 tmeans

tmeans

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

You surely have an 18 gallon tank then just based on that...but the one surefire way to check is to put a jack under the tank, remove the 2 straps and slowly let the tank down...check to see how many vents it has. http://www.taurusclu...k-capacity.html Check that thread out.

Thanks for the link of gas tanks 16 or 18 gallon.......Maybe when I "lower" the Tank to see how many vents it has, I will find the infamous "Red" or "White" label on top of the Fuel Pump Module........(Hoping anyway) With My luck though, It probably wont have any labels, more like "How Many Hamsters are in the Wheel" LOL

BTW: So You did like the $3.75 Roller Coaster Ride on I-77 thru West Virginia? Used to run it at night time as fast as I could in a Mustang GT (WHEN I WAS YOUNGER & MORE FOOLISH) Till I got caught by a WV State Trooper doin "a buck-15"............THAT was a costly lesson!!

Thanks again for the Link........Will Keep Everyone Posted on what I find!! Anybody else, feel free to keep suggestions coming!!!

#18 tmeans

tmeans

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:18 AM

WELL AS EXPECTED......FORD DEARLERSHIPS ARE OF NO HELP......Cannot decode by VIN# OR get this.....They cannot even tell me what tank it is with the decal on the underside of the tank, wheather its a 16 or an 18 Gallon.........Dont you just love some idiots at the Ford Parts counter.......)(*(&^%$$^*(. So far vlooks like I'm going to have to go wuth an AIRTEX Complete MODULE. THEY SHOW NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO TANKS!!!????!!!

#19 michakaveli

michakaveli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts
  • My Car:'11 Taurus SE

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

Drop the tank bruhhh.....

#20 tmeans

tmeans

• Members