Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club

Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club!
If you are not a member, registering to our forum is easy! To get immediate access to everything we have to offer, click here to register and get started! If you're already a memeber, sign in here.

Registering gives you access to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • List your car in the Garage for everybody to see your car and it's mods
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Buy and sell parts in the Marketplace
  • Take part in the car meets and events each year
  • And much more!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Oil Pressure Sending Unit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jsixis

jsixis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Not Enrolled
  • My Car:1993 Ford Taurus Police
  • Engine:3.8L

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:03 PM

Can anyone tell me where the Oil pressure sending unit is located on a 3.8L Taurus.
I still have a small leak and I believe the sending unit is the culprit but I can not find it.
BTW Where did they put the horns? Mine quit working and I can't find them either.

Thanks
Yes, the car is old but I'm older and still running
Why shouldn't it?

#2 Stocker

Stocker

God's Own Drunk and a fearless man

• Gold Member
  • 686 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Northern Central
  • My Car:1985 Ford LTD Crown Victoria
  • Engine:302 CFI V8

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

It's in the timing cover, sort of underneath and behind the power steering pump. I believe there's an extension between the cover and the switch.

FYI, it appears that the oil pressure "gauge" in the gauge package beneath the radio on police cars is a fake one (just like every other Ford since the late '80s :icon_rolleyes: ), but the switch is a different part number than the regular one.

The horns are on the left front of the car... look around by the wheel, I think they're fairly easy to spot (unless, of course, they put them in a different place on the police cars).

1985 LTD Crown Victoria - 302 CFI
1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - 350 Rocket

1993 Mercury Sable GS - 232 - scrapped after transmission failure
1992 Ford Taurus GL wagon - 232 - sold, was later wrecked

#3 jsixis

jsixis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

It's in the timing cover, sort of underneath and behind the power steering pump. I believe there's an extension between the cover and the switch.

Figures, I guess I'll deal with the seepage till spring, there is just no room on this on the passenger side of the engine compartment.
Thanks for the information.

FYI, it appears that the oil pressure "gauge" in the gauge package beneath the radio on police cars is a fake one (just like every other Ford since the late '80s :icon_rolleyes: ), but the switch is a different part number than the regular one.

My car doesn't have the gauge, nor the factory ashtray.

The horns are on the left front of the car... look around by the wheel, I think they're fairly easy to spot (unless, of course, they put them in a different place on the police cars).

I'll will look when the 4" of snow melts. They are not in the engine compartment, never thought to look in front of the wheel well. When they did work they were loud so I think the problem is a bad ground. The ole car does have some weird rusting areas.

Thanks again for the information, not really thrilled about taking the accessories off the motor again but it gets easier every time.
Why shouldn't it?

#4 jsixis

jsixis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

Changed the sending unit. Had to remove the alternator and power steering pump to get to it easily. Old one was good so I put the new one in. It was bad.
Guess I'll be doing it again soon.
Why shouldn't it?

#5 jsixis

jsixis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

Yep and the morons at the auto store just refuse to give me the correct sending unit. Since I moved I lost the old one so now I have a red light on my dash.
Why shouldn't it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users