Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club

Welcome to Taurus & Sable Owners' Club!
If you are not a member, registering to our forum is easy! To get immediate access to everything we have to offer, click here to register and get started! If you're already a memeber, sign in here.

Registering gives you access to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • List your car in the Garage for everybody to see your car and it's mods
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Buy and sell parts in the Marketplace
  • Take part in the car meets and events each year
  • And much more!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Semi-Synthetic Vs. Conventional Oil

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 done101

done101

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Not Enrolled
  • My Car:2005 Sable LS
  • Engine:3.0 Vulcan V6 OHV

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:43 AM

I am a new member to this site, and I would be thankful for your experienced advice.

I had a beautiful 2003 Sable wagon, until it was totaled in October. I always used conventional 5W20 mototr oil and changed the oil & filter every 3,000 miles. The car ran great.

Now I bought a 2005 Sable wagon. According to the dealer, it has used 5W20 semi-synthetic oil for the last several years.

My questions are:
1) Do I need to continue to use the semi-synthetic oil or can I use conventional oil?
2) What are the advantages / disadvantages to using semi-synthetic oil?
3) How often should semi-synthetic oil & filter be changed?

#2 adio

adio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Midwest
  • TCCA Name:adio
  • My Car:2002 Taurus SES Sport
  • Engine:3.0 Duratec 24v

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:53 AM

1. It's up to you if you wanna spend the extra money on the synthetic, wont hurt the engine either way.
2. Synthetic oils are moleculalry smaller so they dont break down as fast and stay cleaner for longer allowing you to go longer on a single oil change.
3. With semi-syn i'd take it to 5000-8000k miles with an extended life filter, all depending on what kind of driving you do. The 3k mile oil change is obsolete these days even with conventional oil. My moms civic's message center said there was 30% oil life left after 1 year with 5k miles on conventional oil. Oils these days are much better compared to the old days of doing oil changes every 3k miles.

Edited by adio, 02 December 2010 - 11:14 PM.

adio0wn7oy-1.jpg?t=1278571067September COTM
Head Unit - Alpine CDE-123
Front Speakers - Boston Acoustics GT-4100 on Image Dynamics XS-65 Comps
Subwoofer - Audioque 3500.1D on an Audioque HDC3 15" D2 - 4.5 cubes @ 38hz
Batteries - DieHard Platinum G31 + C&D Tech 350mr + DieHard Gold

#3 done101

done101

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:03 PM

Thank you for your advice, adio.

1. It's up to you if you wanna spend the extra money on the synthetic, wont hurt the engine either way.
2. Synthetic oils are molecularity smaller so they dont break down as fast and stay cleaner for longer allowing you to go longer on a single oil change.
3. With semi-syn i'd take it to 5000-8000k miles with an extended life filter, all depending on what kind of driving you do. The 3k mile oil change is obsolete these days even with conventional oil. My moms civic's message center said there was 30% oil life left after 1 year with 5k miles on conventional oil. Oils these days are much better compared to the old days of doing oil changes every 3k miles.

#4 jsixis

jsixis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • My Car:1993 Ford Taurus Police
  • Engine:3.8L

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

I run full synthetic (Mobile 1) and change my oil between 10-15k miles (depending on the weather, budget ect) and it is still so slick I have a hard time holding onto tools (definitely wear gloves).
Conventional oil I don't trust after 5k miles.
semi synthetic is just blended in my opinion.
Synthetic oil will actually last forever, it just becomes contaminated the stuff won't even burn (tried it on a wood pile once).
I also get about 1-2 more MPG with synthetic then I do with conventional oils and I have yet to see any sludge in an engine using synthetic.

I am a new member to this site, and I would be thankful for your experienced advice.

I had a beautiful 2003 Sable wagon, until it was totaled in October. I always used conventional 5W20 mototr oil and changed the oil & filter every 3,000 miles. The car ran great.

Now I bought a 2005 Sable wagon. According to the dealer, it has used 5W20 semi-synthetic oil for the last several years.

My questions are:
1) Do I need to continue to use the semi-synthetic oil or can I use conventional oil?
2) What are the advantages / disadvantages to using semi-synthetic oil?
3) How often should semi-synthetic oil & filter be changed?

Yes, the car is old but I'm older and still running
Why shouldn't it?

#5 Angrod

Angrod

Never trust a contractor.

• Platinum Members
  • 992 posts
  • TSOC Chapter:Mid-Atlantic
  • TCCA Name:darth_v8er_dude
  • My Car:'04 Taurus SES
  • Engine:3.0 Vulcan

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

Switching an engine from semi-synthetic to conventional shouldn't cause any issues. I've done it on two taurii with no bad effects. Semi-synthetic oil is mostly conventional anyway with a small amout of synthetic added in. It might help increase gas mileage a tad but there really is no other benefit (from my experience.) The recommended oil change interval from Ford is 5000 miles on semi-syn.

I do an oil and filter change every 5k with Quaker State conventional 5w30 and a Purolator filter. No problems yet and the engine is smoother and the lifters make less noise.

Edited by Angrod, 03 December 2010 - 05:52 PM.

Posted Image
Matt B.

Shosource UDP
removed indefinitely | Sonic DOOF audio system

#6 done101

done101

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

Thank you for your help, Angrod.

Switching an engine from semi-synthetic to conventional shouldn't cause any issues. I've done it on two taurii with no bad effects. Semi-synthetic oil is mostly conventional anyway with a small amout of synthetic added in. It might help increase gas mileage a tad but there really is no other benefit (from my experience.) The recommended oil change interval from Ford is 5000 miles on semi-syn.

I do an oil and filter change every 5k with Quaker State conventional 5w30 and a Purolator filter. No problems yet and the engine is smoother and the lifters make less noise.

#7 done101

done101

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

Thank you for your help, jsixis.

I run full synthetic (Mobile 1) and change my oil between 10-15k miles (depending on the weather, budget ect) and it is still so slick I have a hard time holding onto tools (definitely wear gloves).
Conventional oil I don't trust after 5k miles.
semi synthetic is just blended in my opinion.
Synthetic oil will actually last forever, it just becomes contaminated the stuff won't even burn (tried it on a wood pile once).
I also get about 1-2 more MPG with synthetic then I do with conventional oils and I have yet to see any sludge in an engine using synthetic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users