• Announcements

• Devin

Sean T. is the new TSOC President!   03/27/16

As some of you may know, I started this forum back in 2010 in response to TCCA being sold to AutoGuide. I originally made this forum and called it the Taurus Club of Michigan (or something like that) purely as a joke, except a bunch of members from TCCA started joining. We eventually changed the name to the Taurus and Sable Owners Club, and we instantly started getting tons of signups from TCCA members in search of a new forum to join.  I only had my Taurus for about 6 months, and have moved on to the Mopar side. After 6 years, it seems weird for me to be president of TSOC. So as of today, I am 'stepping down' as President of the club and hereby hand the title of TSOC President to Sean T! I would say that most of you already know who he is, and I think he will do a great job as TSOC President. I will remain an admin of the forum and will continue to manage the server and forum software. Sean will be taking over all other responsibilities, including being in charge of the TSOC donations and money management. I will continue to pay for domain renewals, forum license renewals, and any other forum expenses, with Seans approval. Everybody please welcome Sean as the new President! Click here to view the full thread. ->
    • Devin

Donation/Membership Benefits Changed   03/29/16

As of today, the benefits for each donation level has been updated to improve our members experience on the forums. Be sure to check out the new benefits, and if you haven't already, please donate! Your donations help keep the forum running, and give you a better online experience.  Click here to see the changes and how to donate!  
    • Sean TT

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at TaurusOwners@gmail.com and he can reset your password.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jw89sho

P1336, P1309, P0340

1 post in this topic

Article No.

02-22-1

11/11/02

^ DRIVEABILITY - SURGE/ROLLING IDLE - GEAR

DRIVEN SYNCHRONIZERS - INCORRECT

INSTALLATION - CAMSHAFT POSITION

SYNCHRONIZER (CMP) INSTALLATION TOOL

CORRECT APPLICATION

^ ENGINE - GEAR DRIVEN SYNCHRONIZERS -

INCORRECT INSTALLATION - CAMSHAFT POSITION

SYNCHRONIZER (CMP) INSTALLATION TOOL

CORRECT APPLICATION

FORD:

1994-1997 THUNDERBIRD

1995-2003 TAURUS

1996-2003 MUSTANG

1995-1997 AEROSTAR

1995-2003 RANGER, WINDSTAR

1996-2000 EXPLORER

1997-2003 E SERIES, F-150

MERCURY:

1994-1997 COUGAR

1995-2003 SABLE

1997-2000 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE

Incorrectly installed gear driven camshaft position (CMP) sensor synchronizer assemblies may be hard to diagnose. Vehicle may exhibit poor fuel economy, driveability Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P1336, P1309, P0340 with MIL light on. Loss of power, surge, hesitation and runs rough on acceleration may also be present.

ACTION

New diagnostics have been developed for WDS to diagnose incorrectly installed gear driven camshaft position (CMP) synchronizer assemblies. Refer to the following Service Procedure to diagnose a possible mis-installed synchronizer assembly and proper installation procedure.

SERVICE INFORMATION

Items Covered In This Article

^ "Hall" vs. "VRS" sensor function

^ Vehicle history scrutiny for past service of the synchronizer assembly

^ WDS - Power balance test

^ WDS - CMP and CKP wave signal comparison

^ Wave Comparison chart - CMP vs. CKP

^ Correct (CMP) synchronizer installation tool application & installation procedure

^ "Top Dead Center" (TDC) alignment

^ Synchronizer installation tool application chart

Hall - Effect (Hall) and Variable Reluctance (VRS) CMP Sensors

CMP sensors are used on all current model year engines, regardless of fuel system or ignition system type. The CMP sensor provides the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with cam position information to indicate # 1 cylinder, on the compression stroke

There are two different types of CMP sensors:

The three-pin, Hall-effect sensor

The two-pin Variable Reluctance sensor

Although the Hall-effect (three-pin) and the Variable Reluctance (two-pin) CMP sensors perform the same function, their signal appearance is quite different and they are not interchangeable.